Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation hive swarmed twice after a split and still had lots of queens in it.  (Read 2449 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
I just removed 10 virgin queens queens from my observation hive.

2 weeks ago, 3/15/15, we removed the queen and 3 frames of bees and brood due to the fact they were prepping to swarm and had a large ball of bees hanging out side of the entrance.

A week ago this hive swarmed during the day and left. Today they swarmed again and moved into a swarm trap in my yard.
Today we could hear at least 3 queens piping so to keep them from swarming again we opened the observation hive and removed queen cells.

As soon as we separated the cells from the bees, the queens started coming out of the cells. We ended up with 11 queens  not counting the original queen and the 2 swarm queens. I kept one in the observation hive and made a NUC and put this queen in the hive the NUC came from. (Last night I saw a large unmarked queen in the observation hive. No sign of the marked one. It most have gotten out of its cell when we weren't looking and hid.)
I now have 9 queens that are all marked with white marker and are ready to place in your splits. I only have a white marker.
This hive was wintered over and has never had any chemical or anti bacterial treatment of any kind.
I am selling the virgin queens for $7.5 with the queen cage or 5 dollars without the cage.
If you are in the Jacksonville area and are interested in any of these queens, PM me.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
do you have any drones over there? send me some. lol!  d2

Offline Garlicyoda

• New Bee
    • food for pandas
2 day shipping ?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Sorry, I am not set up to ship and I have no idea if it would make it. I would hate for you to pay for a queen that arrived dead.

4 have been sold.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Garlicyoda

• New Bee
    • food for pandas
great on selling  4!  worked out perfect I hit this post to say my split raised it's own queen I was able to find her and mark her today. GL finding the rest homes :0)

anything