Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bees  (Read 14938 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: New Bees
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2020, 06:04:27 pm »
Man, those pics have EFB written all over it.  Go to YouTube EUROPEAN FOUL BROOD.

A virus does not cause an awful smell.  However a virus can kill and subsequently bacteria after the fact can cause an awful Odor also???
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2020, 06:15:11 pm »
Man, those pics have EFB written all over it.  Go to YouTube EUROPEAN FOUL BROOD.

A virus does not cause an awful smell.  However a virus can kill and subsequently bacteria after the fact can cause an awful Odor also???

>. Take note of what Jim said: awful smell, dead young larva equates to EFB, contagious to other bees, non-spore former bacteria.

X-2  Good advice Mr Van. 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2020, 07:52:53 pm »
I looked at comparisons for days. That?s why I called the inspector and said, ? I think I have foul brood, can you come take a look?? Almost immediately he dismissed Foulbroods and was just looking at stressed bees.
This hive has been weak from the start.
The main reason I gathered that the Foulbrood was dismissed was because it covered all age ranges of death. There are dead young and old larvae, just capped and almost emerged was also dying. He kept saying mite syndrome even though there are not many mites and sacbrood.

I don?t really know what else to do but wait and see what happens. What would a rookie do if the state inspector came out and said cross your fingers and try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2020, 08:07:15 pm »
EFB turns larva yellow. Those larva are too white to be EFB. I don't know if 30 had Don or Who out to look, but I will place my money on Don anytime. I will give 2 to 1 odds on what he says. It would be a lot easier, tho, if 30 would be a bit more specific on location. Central NC is a large place, and could be any of about 4 inspectors.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2020, 08:19:53 pm »
Guilford co
Don came out.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2020, 08:25:25 pm »
Agree with Iddee - Don knows his stuff

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2020, 08:37:40 pm »
Did, Don do a rope test?  Although I feel a lot better, a whole lot better knowing ID vouchers for the inspector, Don.

ID, I would not put very much faith in the yellow color as constant indicator, characteristic symptom of EFB as bacteria are so dynamic.  Bacteria are very good about altering conditions to fool us.  Just look at the ongoing viral disease: some, maybe most folks asymptomatic, some die.  The lil critters will fool ya, keeps us on our toes.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2020, 08:38:34 pm »
It is good to hear your inspector is of top quality and you are in good hands. I hope your colony recovers quickly with the work y'all did to help them out.

I was posting as you was Mr Van, good question.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2020, 08:44:01 pm »
Yes. He did a rope test and Vita Honeybee Foulbrood test kit for EFB.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2020, 08:47:17 pm »
Well that settles that!  Good job. It still would have been good to know exactly what line of virus did this to your colony?  No harm meant toward your inspector. For curiosity sake and knowledge for future references, treatments if applicable etc. 

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2020, 08:48:28 pm »
I have all new equipment and the only ?used? stuff was a few frames that came in the nucs.
I?ve only had the bees about 5-6 weeks or so. The guy I got the bees from came over too when Don was there. Don didn?t seem overly concerned with going to check my seller out. If it was EFB, it would only make sense that it came with the nuc frames.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2020, 08:51:06 pm »
Well that settles that!  Good job. It still would have been good to know exactly what line of virus did this to your colony?  No harm meant toward your inspector. For curiosity sake and knowledge for future references, treatments if applicable etc.
I?m not saying anyone is right. I sure don?t know. I just know my cheeks are puckered up while I wait. About a month into a new hobby and I might have to have $1000 bonfire out back.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2020, 09:02:02 pm »
Yes. He did a rope test and Vita Honeybee Foulbrood test kit for EFB.

Like BenFramed texted, THAT SETTLES IT.  I?m going with what the inspector said, that is highly rated by ID.

Mr. 30, being new, you may not know how long ID has been dealing with honeybees, so I will tell ya.  ID was selling bees to a couple of fellas wondering in the wilderness with a whole bunch of followers.  One of the fellas name was Moses, the other name was Aaron.  So, I got a lot of respect for the fella, Iddee.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2020, 10:02:40 pm »
Thanks for the accolades, Van.

I agree about the virus mutating, but I have seen several cases of EFB in his county and surrounding area this year and last, and this strain is very yellow.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2020, 10:27:41 pm »
Understood

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2020, 11:08:57 pm »
Iddee,
If it comes back on the new frames, and your willing to take a look, Im in Julian. We could be as close as 15 minutes away from each other.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2020, 06:53:17 am »
Check your PM's.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2020, 05:13:40 pm »
In the mean time I cleaned out the feeders today. I tried some smoker pellets from the BBQ section. A small hand full of pellets with just enough pine straw to get it started.

Worked like a champ.

No joke, I went out to put the smoker back in the building over an hour later and it was still smoking.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2020, 05:30:29 pm »
Mr. 30, Agreed, I use sweet wood pellets, apple, cherry for years now.  Once started my smoker, 3/4 full, will last for 6 hours.

Pine straw can?t be beat, but there is not a pine tree on my place, all hard wood, Ozarks.  Oak leaves to hot, so the sweet wood pellets do the job.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2020, 01:58:44 pm »
Just made my next move.

Both of my hives? brood chambers were completely drawn out. The outside frames were nectar, then they transitioned into brood as they went in.

The stronger hive has had a medium on it for about 4 weeks now. The medium was mostly drawn out and nectar/honey on the outside and four good frames of brood in the middle.  The brood chamber was packed with brood. I would have normally thought to add another medium at this point.

The weaker hive looked much better than it did Saturday. Lots of brood of all stages from the second frames and in. It was still spotty, but I think that?s just how that queen rolls. I don?t know if they are still riding the fresh frames and brood boost, or if they will decline and get sick again. Everything looked and smelled healthy at this point. Since everything was drawn out and the frames were pretty full, I added a medium under the feeder. I took the four capped brood frames from the stronger hive?s medium and shook them off and put them in the middle of the new medium. I pushed all the remaining frames from the stronger hive to the middle and added two frames of new foundation to each outside edge of the super and placed it back on the stronger one. The weaker one ended up with some more capped brood and a few new frames to draw out and move things around, but not so much empty real estate that they can?t keep it up.   

Essentially I gave the stronger hive more room without adding a super yet, and gave the other hive a bit more room along with a boost to avoid giving them a completely empty box to guard. Hopefully everyone has something to do. The stronger hives brood box is loaded with capped brood.

If any hitchhikers made it into the weak hive on the new frames and kill the queen, there are plenty of eggs and it wouldn?t hurt my feelings to have a new queen in there.

We will know more next week.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 02:31:56 pm by .30WCF »

anything