Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?  (Read 6829 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
« on: August 13, 2013, 02:47:51 pm »
This is one of those movies that people loved or hated - no middle ground. The setting was in Mississippi back when they were building dams and making electricity from hydro electric power. Alabama would probably have been more geographically correct when you consider all the rivers and valleys we have plus the number of dams they built here.

Back to the movie, it has been said that this movie created another blue grass revival. The last one was during the hippy movement in the sixties/seventies. "non electricity music" The music was pure and much raw talent was used. The mannerisms, speech, dress, and outlook of the actors seems to be right on target for that time frame.

If you like quoating movie charactors for fun this is it.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:24:26 pm »
There are a lot of great quotes in the movie.

Ulysses Everett McGill: That's not the issue Delmar. Even if that did put you square with the Lord, the State of Mississippi's a little more hard-nosed.

Ulysses Everett McGill: Me an' the old lady are gonna pick up the pieces and retie the knot, mixaphorically speaking.

Pete: Wait a minute. Who elected you leader of this outfit?

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well Pete, I figured it should be the one with the capacity for abstract thought. But if that ain't the consensus view, then hell, let's put it to a vote.

Pete: Suits me. I'm voting for yours truly.

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well I'm voting for yours truly too.

[Everett and Pete look at Delmar for the deciding vote]

Delmar O'Donnell: Okay... I'm with you fellas.

Pete: I've always wondered, what's the devil look like?

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, there are all manner of lesser imps and demons, Pete, but the great Satan hisself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tail, and he carries a hay fork.

Tommy Johnson: Oh, no. No, sir. He's white, as white as you folks, with empty eyes and a big hollow voice. He likes to travel around with a mean old hound. That's right.

Tommy Johnson: I had to be up at that there crossroads last midnight, to sell my soul to the devil.

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, ain't it a small world, spiritually speaking. Pete and Delmar just been baptized and saved. I guess I'm the only one that remains unaffiliated.

Ulysses Everett McGill: Pete, it's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart.

Homer Stokes: This band of miscreants, this very evening, interfered with a lynch mob in the performance of its duty.

Ulysses Everett McGill: What'd the devil give you for your soul, Tommy?

Tommy Johnson: Well, he taught me to play this here guitar real good.

Delmar O'Donnell: Oh son, for that you sold your everlasting soul?

Tommy Johnson: Well, I wasn't usin' it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:38:46 pm »
Someone told me that the black guy (Tommy Johnson) was something like BB Kings son/grand/or great grand son. One time up in the smokies a friend of mine introduced me to someone named Delmar. (I felt special)

He's bonified.

He's a suiter!

He got prospects

You ain't my daddy, my daddy got hit by a train.

Lot's of important people got hit by a train.

Issin you iss or issin you ain't my constituants?

We got kicked out of Woolworth while you was gone. I wonder was it all of them or just the one?

You see, I got this friend who's gonna print me up a dentist license...
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 07:24:37 pm »
Bump and adding:   The music in this is great, too.  The artists on the soundtrack did a show in Nashville called Down From the Mountain, that's available on DVD.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944