Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee Question About Baggie Feeders  (Read 1973 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Newbee Question About Baggie Feeders
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:10:37 pm »
Heads up, this is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find answer to this.  If you put an empty box, or even a spacer, around a Ziploc baggie, how do you prevent the bees from just filling that empty space up with comb?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
Re: Newbee Question About Baggie Feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:15:40 pm »
Heads up, this is probably a dumb question, but I can't seem to find answer to this.  If you put an empty box, or even a spacer, around a Ziploc baggie, how do you prevent the bees from just filling that empty space up with comb?   
Place the shim and baggie above inner cover, do not feed liquid sugar when mean temp is below 50
Cheers

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:37:49 pm »
Typically when you are feeding the hive does not have the extra resources to build comb.  If you leave the shim or box on too long and there is a good flow going on they can and will fill that space with comb.  Same thing will happen with sugar bricks or mountain camp method of feeding in the spring if you leave the spacers on too long.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 11:00:36 am »
CAO hit the nail on the head.
One more answer to a question you didn't ask if I may;
I put my baggie feeders in a disposable aluminum baking pan.  This prevents spilling the syrup down into the frames.  Don't ask me how I decided I needed to try something like that  :embarassed:
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:16:45 pm »
>how do you prevent the bees from just filling that empty space up with comb?   

The secret is NEVER leave any empty space when nectar is coming in.  But then you shouldn't be feeding when nectar is coming in either...  As soon is there isn't anywhere to store the syrup they will build comb in any available empty space...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 09:55:14 pm »
Thanks so much for all the great answers everybody.  I really, really appreciate it. 

Troutdog: I'm not really understanding the setup you described.  Are you placing the baggie over the hole in the inner cover and preventing the bees from getting up there, like you'd do with a mason jar or pail feeder?  If so, why doesn't the syrup just drip out? 

Hops Brewster: That's a great idea!  And please, feel free to answer all the questions I don't know to ask.   :happy:

My follow-up dumb question is this, how will I know when a nectar flow has started?   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:37:29 am »
how will I know when a nectar flow has started?   
From the outside you can watch the entrance.  If they are loaded down with nectar they come in like a B52 and crash into the bottom board, sometimes knocking over other bees on the board and then they go out like a fighter jet.  Another thing you should notice is the hive gaining weight.  Looking inside the hive you see cells filling with nectar.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 11:05:37 am »
>My follow-up dumb question is this, how will I know when a nectar flow has started?   

Well, for one thing they will filling empty spaces with comb... But as Ace said, there will be more traffic, and usually white wax.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 07:15:11 pm »
Acebird: Oh my gosh, I love the image that conjures up.  I can just picture it, one of them slamming down on the landing board to the sound of a plane followed by an explosion!    :cheesy:

Michael: You specified white wax.  Is that because the wax they draw when there is nectar is different from wax they draw with syrup, or are you just saying it's white because it's new? 

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 08:17:46 pm »
Thanks so much for all the great answers everybody.  I really, really appreciate it. 

Troutdog: I'm not really understanding the setup you described.  Are you placing the baggie over the hole in the inner cover and preventing the bees from getting up there, like you'd do with a mason jar or pail feeder?  If so, why doesn't the syrup just drip out? 

Hops Brewster: That's a great idea!  And please, feel free to answer all the questions I don't know to ask.   :happy:

My follow-up dumb question is this, how will I know when a nectar flow has started?   
Just what I've done
I found that occasionally the baggies leak so I generally have hive slightly tilted front or rear, in case of an 'episode'.
Crown board over frames as usual and shim atop that the shim is usually 1.5 inches big enough for a baggie 80% filled.
I don't use them anymore as I had too many mishaps and now use poly hive top feeder which doubles as winter insulation.
I am assuming your days are above fifty degrees and your no longer in cluster and are v pre flow build up.

I have become a really big fan of bakers fondant as its so flexible in usage I can put on top or spread on a frame mush it into small spaces etc.. Bees love it and it's not too expensive. We get it locally for 45 bucks for a 50 lb box at the bakery.
It's like concentrated easily eaten sugar.

Luck

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:19:17 pm »

Just what I've done
I found that occasionally the baggies leak so I generally have hive slightly tilted front or rear, in case of an 'episode'.
Crown board over frames as usual and shim atop that the shim is usually 1.5 inches big enough for a baggie 80% filled.
I don't use them anymore as I had too many mishaps and now use poly hive top feeder which doubles as winter insulation.
I am assuming your days are above fifty degrees and your no longer in cluster and are v pre flow build up.

I have become a really big fan of bakers fondant as its so flexible in usage I can put on top or spread on a frame mush it into small spaces etc.. Bees love it and it's not too expensive. We get it locally for 45 bucks for a 50 lb box at the bakery.
It's like concentrated easily eaten sugar.

Luck
P.s
Never over hole but near it

Sent from my SM-N910V using

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »
The wax is white because it's new.
-------------------