Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wanted: copy of book Honey and Pollen Flora - Alan Clemson 1985  (Read 5067 times)

Offline TINTOOKI Dave

• New Bee
Hi all, new member here, I have a botanical background, and have only been into beekeeping in the last 3 years, I?m looking for a copy of Alan Clemson?s Honey and Pollen Flora.  Does anyone have a copy that they would be willing to part with.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Wanted: copy of book Honey and Pollen Flora - Alan Clemson 1985
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 09:21:36 am »
Welcome to Beemaster TINTOOKI Dave! I hope you find the book!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 08:18:02 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
Hope you get it. We have a lot of members from Down under. Just a matter of time before the right member sees this.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TINTOOKI Dave

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 12:27:42 am »
Thanks Ben and Beemaster2.  It?s hard to get so hopefully someone has a copy that is sitting idle and could be out to good use.  Cheers Dave

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 01:57:02 am »
Hi Dave,

yes, I have a copy of " Honey and Pollen Flora" by Alan Clemson.

I also have " The Honey Flora of Qld" and the most up-to-date book on the theme " Honey and Pollen Flora of South-Eastern Australia"

They are attached to my left hand and are not for sale.

The " Honey and Pollen Fora of South-Eastern Australia" is still available - it is a 667page read with loads of great information.
Sadly, Australia has not invested much into research related to bees and we are well behind US publictaions on the subject.

I also have quite a few US books on the subject and consult them all.

I keep the Subject " What is flowering in Qld" reasonably up-to-date  - it maybe of some use to you if you are living in SE Qld or Northern NSW

Wish I could be of more help.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TINTOOKI Dave

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 07:30:08 am »
Thanks max2and Michael ?I am reading this at the moment about bee nutrition.  Great article:

https://www.agrifutures.com.au/wp-content/uploads/publications/05-054.pdf

It?s particularly good on the nutritional value of plant pollen. I?m interested in this because I live on 15 acres of bush in cold county in Nth NSW.  With my botanical/horticulture background I?m planing to plant species that will be very high nutritional value for the bees and have the largest flowering period possible.  Certain Banksia species look very good for both pollen and nectar value!

I?ll keep hunting and educating myself?.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 01:12:11 am by TINTOOKI Dave »

Offline Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 08:58:17 pm »
Clemson?s book is a great read. A mate lent me his copy when I first started keeping a few bees.  Wish I had it now as a reference.  The article that Michael posted is also very good to have on hand. I still refer to it regularly when looking ahead for potential flows. Good luck with your beekeeping. I hope that you get the same enjoyment out of this adventure as the rest of us do.

Cheers

Les

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 04:14:22 am »
I went to 3 second hand bookshops - one big one in Nambour and two in Maleny.

The first one  had a few old beekeeping books ( ABC and XYZ of beekeping and Snellgroves book on Queen breeding) and both books had a price tag of $ Aus 299 on them.

All shops told me that Beekeeping Books are a collectors item and demand is huge.

Offline Garigal

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 09:48:03 am »
I went to 3 second hand bookshops - one big one in Nambour and two in Maleny.

The first one  had a few old beekeeping books ( ABC and XYZ of beekeping and Snellgroves book on Queen breeding) and both books had a price tag of $ Aus 299 on them.

All shops told me that Beekeeping Books are a collectors item and demand is huge.

Didn't happen to check which year ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping was printed by any chance? I have a 1959 edition.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 03:11:56 pm »
No, I did not check.
I have two copies of the 1975 edition of " The Hive and Honey bee" and a 1958 edition of " The Honey Flora of South - Eastern Queensland"