Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: nitril gloves for bee keeping  (Read 6976 times)

Offline crispy

• House Bee
nitril gloves for bee keeping
« on: March 07, 2020, 11:43:24 pm »
Hi all i was watching a guy in new zealand who was using nitril gloves when he attended his apery rather than the usual cow/goat hide gloves .Just wondering how effective they are to reduce stings on the hands they claim they are very resistant to puncture and tearing . When i am painting or fiberglassing i use the disposable latex gloves but they have a tendency to tear so does anyone else use nitril gloves .

Offline Gurus_username

• New Bee
Re: nitril gloves for bee keeping
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 11:51:31 pm »
I have started using them, they give me better dexterity when I'm working my hive, which for me results in fewer stings.

They arent completely impervious, I have had a couple of pairs tear on me, and I have been stung through them. For me with just the one hive they seem to last fairly well.

Nitrile is tougher than latex, so they should do better than what you have for fiberglass.

I hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 12:06:10 am »
Hi thats what this guy in new zealand said they gave him better feel when handling his frames ect as when i have had ago at using the gloves i have now they seem bulky with a lack of feel for what you are doing .

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 12:10:30 am »
I rarely use gloves but I did have a really mean hive once where I used nitrate gloves, actually two sets. They protected my hands. The bees have a hard time holding on to them so they weren?t able to sting me. I do not like using leather gloves. They just make the bees mean. You cannot feel the bees and you crush bees and then they sting the gloves and the sting pheromones irritates the bees even more.
Once you put them on, smoke them up real well.
Try them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 01:28:48 am »
Crispy, I have found that this type glove serves two main purposes. One is they do stop most bee stings along with giving a natural feel of things. The second main reason is propolis can sometime be a bother and this helps in this respect as well.  Although I have found that common rubbing alcohol can clean propolis off of my hands promptly.  I like the 9 ml black gloves sold at Harbor Freight. I am thinking they come 50 gloves to a pack and can be had on the regular sales for only nine dollars in my area here in the Southern United States.

Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 03:02:39 pm »
I started keeping Nitrile gloves in my bee jacket pocket. When I find a hive is "hot", I put them on. They definitely help. I've been stung thru them only once. Mostly I just work bare handed. I have really big hands, and nitrile's only come in "one-size-fits-all" - so they're hard to get on, and don't last too long for me. They should say "one-size-fits-most".  :cool:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 04:24:18 pm »
High Risk Latex Exam Gloves, Blue 15 mil, XL Size. These are great and come in different sizes. They also last for more than one use. I see you can't get them now, though I expect it's from the coronavirus scare. I assume they will all be harder to get for the foreseeable future or the price has gone up so much they're not affordable to the average bee keeper.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 07:39:24 pm »
I started keeping Nitrile gloves in my bee jacket pocket. When I find a hive is "hot", I put them on. They definitely help. I've been stung thru them only once. Mostly I just work bare handed. I have really big hands, and nitrile's only come in "one-size-fits-all" - so they're hard to get on, and don't last too long for me. They should say "one-size-fits-most".  :cool:
I have the same problem in the opposite direction.  "One-size-fits-all" really means "one-size-fits-most-men", and all the gloves I can get locally are too big.  I could get a smaller size from a medical supply company, but the price just isn't worth it.  I've gotten used to the slightly too big gloves by now anyway, and I think the extra space between my hand and the glove is beneficial to not getting stung through them.  I usually double up and wear 2 pairs of gloves, since I've had bees sting me through a single layer.  I wear nitrile gloves every time I inspect, and they are great for being protected without losing dexterity.  The only big downside to them is that they make your hands REALLY sweaty, since they aren't at all breathable. 

Hi all i was watching a guy in new zealand who was using nitril gloves when he attended his apery rather than the usual cow/goat hide gloves .

Were you by chance watching Trevor Gilbanks's YouTube channel, "Trev's Bees"?  He gave me the idea to wear nitrile gloves as well.  I really like his videos, and I watched a lot of them when I was first getting started to learn how to do basic things like light a smoker and do an inspection. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 08:19:17 pm »

Cool they come in different sizes at Harbor Freight . I get the extra large. 9 mil . You might give them a try.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 09:35:43 pm »
I've tried a few brands. Now I only use purple Kimberly-Clerk nitrile with the long cuff - there are several sizes.
     Protection: if a bees tries to sting, it won't get far. Seems to stop venom.
     Dexterity: can gently pick up a bee, and grasp comb when doing a cutout without crushing it.
     Durability: I wash my hands, gloves-on, after using; then remove and hang over a bucket to dry. 

I've even tossed some in the washer (not dryer) on gentle cycle with my jacket.  Because if I don't wash them well enough, the bees settle on the gloves while I'm working...looking for something yummy to smell or gnaw at.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 10:00:34 pm »

Cool they come in different sizes at Harbor Freight . I get the extra large. 9 mil . You might give them a try.

Phillip - I did not know that. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 10:26:25 pm »
@ Billdeen:
    "High Risk Latex Exam Gloves, Blue 15 mil, XL Size. These are great and come in different sizes. They also last for more than one use."
Me too! I bought a box last year (50) pr. so still have some. I bought mine at Norco. In these parts that is a welding,safety,and medical gas supplier. Was told that they were used by undertakers for embalming.
   jimmy
jimmy

Offline billdean

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 03:16:57 am »
@ Billdeen:
    "High Risk Latex Exam Gloves, Blue 15 mil, XL Size. These are great and come in different sizes. They also last for more than one use."
Me too! I bought a box last year (50) pr. so still have some. I bought mine at Norco. In these parts that is a welding,safety,and medical gas supplier. Was told that they were used by undertakers for embalming.
   jimmy

Yes those are the ones. Norco may still have some as people probably haven't raped that place yet. I bought another box last year also, though I don't use them much. They do work very well. Now you are all set for any dead outs.

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 06:43:11 am »
Hi all thanks for the replies ,i tried two sizes on at work today large and medium the large were a little loose around the fingers and the medium although a bit tight to get on seemed once on a better fit around the fingers .As far as i can see they are not to expensive and bunnings here sell them as well as many other stores ,i think they come in packs of 50 in a box and are black some other stors sell them in purple and blue i suppose it is up to your choice of color . 

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 10:43:19 am »
   I used black ones for a while. I wanted something with longer cuffs, and I do not think the bees liked the black color.
  jimmy
jimmy

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 03:00:14 pm »
I have tried and used all of the above mentioned gloves.  I do not use any type pf leather because of lost dexterity, and I have BEEN STUNG THROUGH THEM.  I like gloves from amazon 12mil nitril unlined.  they are washable and reusable and the bees do not seem to dislike the green color.  I may have been stung through them one time did not feel it until later and there was small hole that a bee may have found near the. the red spot was near the hole???? They cost about $US 1.50 a pair.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 06:13:59 pm »
Hi Crispy
"Supercheap Auto" sells them too. They are a better quality glove I believe, however cost a bit more.
I like them as you can reuse them a few times and they dont tear as easily...I just got my second box. I got over two years out of the first box.
Yes bees can sting through them, but rarely do. If a hive is "hot" then put on two pairs, one over the other and bees cant sting through them...like others have mentioned its easy to keep a pair or two in your pocket!

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:24 pm »
That is all I use-harbor freight, cheap and large or XL. The only time I get stung is at the wrist, just above the glove. The propolis is a pain, especially in springtime (when it is gooy). Yeah, they tear, finish what your doing and pull one over the top. Don?t try to switch them or your sweaty hands makes it hard to pull on the next one. If I do get a rare sting through it you can get ahold of the glove next to the stinger and lifting the glove, lifts the stinger out.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 10:47:07 pm »
>I do not think the bees liked the black color.
  jimmy

Jimmy you are right about this. Most of the time the bees do not bother me. On occasion or on a day when a hive seems to be a little more aggressive, I will wear a ventilated jacket. It is in these times that I do feel some bees bumping the black gloves. But rarely do they sting through. It is good to know about the 15 ml gloves and the 12 ml that was mentioned. I look forward to trying the 12s and 15s and comparing. The reason I use the 9 is because that is the thickest HF sells that are still flexible to feel everything. They have some much thicker but I believe to be too thick to work bees. Occasionally I will snag a 9ml glove on something but rarely. I also wash the 9s in a washing machine.

Phillip Hall

Offline crispy

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 06:27:43 am »
Hi the15member snap his videos are great really in depth and explain heaps i was sorry to see him go but i always refer back to his videos all the time for info on things he would  a great instructor 

anything