Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are "Bump-Stocks" getting banned?  (Read 7502 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Are "Bump-Stocks" getting banned?
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 04:12:43 pm »
I am a gun owner and 2nd amendment supporter.  I also have mixed feelings about red flag laws.  I would like to see laws amended so that those who are mentally ill can be stopped before they go out and shoot up the workplace, or whatever.  In order to intervene, you would have to make sure they can't buy weapons and would have to take what they have even though they have not yet committed a crime.

I am very conflicted about this, but I am not sure how else you could stop these nuts if you are not proactively disarming them.  I understand that this does not impact the majority of gun deaths and does not stop the criminal.  However, WE are more in danger of having our weapons taken because of the public and spectacular nature of the shootings done by the nuts.

Of course, my first preference would be to have places to lock up the nuts...
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 08:01:17 am »
Kathy
I am very conflicted about this, but I am not sure how else you could stop these nuts if you are not proactively disarming them.

You can not stop the nuts and who gets to pick what is nutty.  How many people get to not be the chosen ones to own a gun so you can have safety?  You can have a gun and not be safe but at least you have some kind of chance.  You can not have a gun accident if you don't have one around.  You cannot have the chance you might have in some certain situations that you would have if you do have a gun around.  In the beginning, you make a choice and only at the end of life will that choice be judged by you as good or bad.  I make the choice to have a gun knowing that it is what it is, a chance for good or bad.  I keep my fingers crossed that there is more good then bad in the world and hope that my judgement puts me on the good side of things knowing that some out there are going to have bad judgement and evil intent.

It is sorta like the safety or freedom argument.  You won't have freedom and may not have safety if somebody else gets to make those decisions on what your safety is.

As bad as it is, bad actors have to commit bad things to be guilty of something in a place where you are innocent until proven guilty.  The only counter to that is for a person to have the opportunity to do the things and have the tools to try and protect himself.  It will not always work but gives the best chance.  The ones hurt will think it was bad and the ones helped will know it was good.  No guarantees in life except the chance to do your best.
Cheers
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:57 am »
Of course, my first preference would be to have places to lock up the nuts...
That attitude is why the nuts don't seek help until it is too late.  There are some solutions to mental illness but it is not guaranteed.  Most solutions involve taking medication.  Then there is the problem of the patient going off meds on their own because of the side effects, costs, or timing requirements.  An alcoholic has to give up alcohol in order to have a normal life.  It seems to me a gun owner has to give up firearms if they have been prescribed drugs for mental illness.  Also the right to own firearms should be dependent on metal stability.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 09:27:24 am »
>Also the right to own firearms should be dependent on metal stability.

Then it wouldn't be a right, it would be a privilege dependent on proving you are not crazy.  How would you prove you are NOT crazy?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 10:05:51 am »
The problem with that is someone in government can decide that they don?t like you and make the decision to take away your guns away, they can.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 12:29:39 pm »
You can not stop the nuts and who gets to pick what is nutty.
The problem with that is someone in government can decide that they don?t like you and make the decision to take away your guns away, they can.

Herein lies my conflict. 

There was a time that you could lock up people who were perceived to be a danger.  Under lock and key, they could be evaluated.  It is true that this system was also abused and that it was also perhaps a violation of rights.  On the other hand, it was a safety issue and we didn't have as many crazy folks on the streets like the one who just stabbed someone here for no reason other than the voices told him to. 

Being on the west coast I am closer to losing my right to have the weapons I wish to have.  If I still lived in CA I would already be in violation of the state laws.  If we don't figure this out, you guys will end up where we are. 

I don't know the answer.  I just know the problem and see where we are going. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.