Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Observation Hive  (Read 2603 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
Observation Hive
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:54:41 pm »
Anyone have any experience with observation hives.
In no rush but thinking a observation hive in the shop might draw in a few customers and certainly wouldnt hurt honey sales.
I like the look and idea of the ulster style observation hive, anyone know where these might be available in Aus.
Thinking I could modify the 5 frame nuc box to have a observation windows like the flow hive supers and only move the queen up when we have something major on.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Observation Hive
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 09:50:40 am »
Here are 3 pictures of my portable observation hive that I use for school bee demos. I used plexiglass and torque screws to make sure Little Johny cannot let the bees out.  :shocked:
I showed the bottom view to show that it is a number 8 hardware cloth and I stapled in a piece of queen extractor to keep the queen in the top frame so the kids can see the queen.

It is not hard to build. It is just a 5 frame Nuc with a modified top.
Hope this helps.
Jim
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:04:27 am by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 220

• House Bee
Re: Observation Hive
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 12:34:21 am »
Thanks Jim, seems to be plenty of plans available. Thought I would ask about availability as I can buy unassembled boxes for almost the same price as the timber to build them.
Building one will probably be a winter project.