Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Imperial Moth Caterpillar  (Read 2998 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Imperial Moth Caterpillar
« on: September 24, 2023, 06:43:42 pm »
This morning I was outside cleaning some bottom board inserts, and I heard my sister call up from the barn, "REAGAN?!  WHAT IS THIS?!"  I went down and found her looking down at the biggest caterpillar I have ever seen galloping across the ground.  I set the bottom board insert I was carrying in front of him, he crawled onto it, and we took him in the house.  (I never touch an unknown hairy caterpillar, since some species have urticating (vemon-producing) hairs.  He was perfectly safe however. :smile:)  It turned out to be an imperial moth caterpillar.  We have seen imperial moths before, both as adults and caterpillars, but never one in it's final instar.     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Imperial Moth Caterpillar
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 08:35:14 pm »
Are you going to keep it until it changes?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 08:52:34 pm »
Are you going to keep it until it changes?
No, it's a soil pupating moth, so it wouldn't be much fun to watch anyway.  We do have a spicebush swallowtail pupating in our garden right now though.  I can't seem to find the pictures I took of it.  :embarassed:   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 09:01:00 pm »
Of course, right when I gave up I found it.  :cheesy:  Although I was just informed that it's not there anymore, so something must have eaten it.  :sad: