Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Difficulties with spinning honey  (Read 2687 times)

Offline SouthAussieBeekeeper

• House Bee
Difficulties with spinning honey
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:43:38 am »
I'm having some difficulties with using this spinner extractor:

https://imgur.com/a/vNi6jtS

I'm using one of these to uncap the comb:

https://alexnld.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/27ad66bf-85a2-3d77-2630-1721bd534401.jpg

At first I was only uncapping lightly. Even after spinning for a good thirty minutes though there's still been a lot of honey left on the frames, so I experimented with being more aggressive with uncapping which seemed to help somewhat.

I've been unable to spin the frames at a speed greater than 70% max speed. I do start spinning at a slow speed and slowly build it up but the frames start to fling themselves out of the holder when I'm at around 50% max speed. The frames don't seem to sit in the spinner well. I'm not sure if I should see if I can find some extra large rubber bands to help them hold in place.

I do heat my frames prior to spinning to make it more efficient.

I'm a bit unsure if I'm doing something wrong. So far spinning my honeyframes has been very ineffective.

Can anyone help me out here?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Difficulties with spinning honey
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 07:12:00 am »
It does not look like the extractor holds the frames very well. They need to bee kept in the radial position or they will fall over.
If you do not break every cap on every cell, the honey will not come out of a capped cell.
I recommend that you buy an uncapping knife. They are usually less than $20.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:16:21 am »
I looked again and it looks like there are loops in the honey that are supposed to hold the frames in position. How well do they keep the frames in place?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:42:46 am »
I use a long filet knife to cut the caps off the comb.  I only use the fork like you are using for the short comb that I can't cut with the knife.  The areas where I use the fork always leaves some honey behind.  There is too much wax left for the honey to hold on to.  Try a knife of some sorts and you will get better results.

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:35:10 pm »
That's interesting. I did try using a bread knife, that had been in some boiling water to heat it. I found that it cut through the wax so strongly, that it seemed as if it ruined the comb structure anyway.

Am I supposed to be careful with a knife, to make sure I only cut off the outer layer of the capping?

I did seem that the honey was stuck to the wax.

Jim, there are loops that hold the frames in. They don't do a very good job of holding the frames in though. They do indeed fall over.

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 08:17:05 pm »
Here's the honey extractor that I bought if anyone's curious:

http://www.redpaths.com.au/products/honey-extractors/extractors/?productdtl=4788

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 04:44:07 pm »
Warm honey extracts much better than cold.  A hot knife helps break the honey loose by warming it while you're uncapping.  If the honey is partially crystallized you will need to heat it more.  If it's a thixotropic honey then you will have issues because that usually won't extract once it's jelled.  This would included jellybush and heather, neither of which I have, but both are common in other places.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 05:34:52 pm »
Try running at a slower speed for a lot longer.  I suspect some honey is thicker than other honey in the same frame.  The lighter comes out first and makes the frame unbalanced.  For the same reason you should make sure the honey is all at one temperature because that really makes a difference in viscosity.  If you warm it keep it in the warming state for a day or two before trying to extract.  The extractor you have doesn't appear to hold on to the frames so an unbalanced frame will give you fits.  The only cure is time.  More time at slow speed.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it