ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

Saw a beaver yesterday

(1/4) > >>

jalentour:
I was crossing my bridge over a small creek and saw a beaver swimming under the ice and popping back up eating something.  Never in my life did expect to see a beaver here in SE Indiana about a mile from the Ohio River. 
It's a healthy creek, and I hope it sticks around for awhile, but I'd like her better down stream. 

Michael Bush:
>...but I'd like her better down stream.

Especially right after she builds a dam and floods your back yard or kills all your trees...  I do love to watch them.

BeeMaster2:
We have beavers here in N FL. They build dams and flood the road near me. Maintenance crews have to keep breaking their dams.
Jim

Michael Bush:
My favorite beaver experience was up in the Snowy mountains above Laramie.  I was elk hunting and come on a series of beaver dams and could hear the beavers talking to each other so I hid and watched.  The weather was sub zero at the time and all the ponds were frozen over.  The beaver in the bottom pond opened up the dam and let the water out until the ice started to crack.  Then he/she stopped the dam and called to the beaver in the next pond up, who opened up that dam and let it run until the ice cracked more in the bottom dam and some in the top dam and the beaver blow told the beaver above that it was enough and they stopped up that dam.  They leapfrogged up the series of ponds until all the ice had been cracked on all of the ponds.  I assume this was for their own purposes, probably so they could swim into and out of their houses but it freed up the ice so the elk and deer to could drink out of the ponds.  The talking and coordinating of the work was what surprised me.  It took them hours to get the work done.

Dallasbeek:
Got a lot of elk hunting in that day, did you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version