ALMOST BEEKEEPING - RELATED TOPICS > OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES FORUM

Does any body hunt with dogs?

<< < (2/3) > >>

220:
Both of ours are just yard dogs although both probably would have made excellent hunters if they had a bit more time and education as pups.
A male jack Russell terrier and a female lab, they actually make a good team hunting in the yard. The JRT never stops and the lab does all the heavy work. Have watched her lift sheets of iron so the JRT can get to rats and mice he has cornered.
Their best effort was a fox in the yard, they woke me at about 1am with the JRT going more ballistic than normal, wouldn't come to the back door so I investigated with a torch. One fox cornered between the bird aviary and fence, when the JRT finally flushed him out the lab really surprised me, I expected her to grab it by the throat/neck and shake but she simple grabbed it by the chest bit and crushed until it stopped moving and then released it. She is a very large dog close to 100lb and I've watched her dispatch rabbits and rats the same way. Despite this she is very soft in the mouth when she chooses, she will pick ripe tomatos and drop them at the back door without marking them.

herbhome:
Fishing-nut,

I have four walkers, all papered. Their grandpa was nocturnal Kane. I have heard of Dan, he was a good hound. My first dog when I was a little boy was a beagle and she was a rabbit hunting fool. A sweeter, more lovable dog a boy couldn't have hoped for.

Fishing-Nut:
Dan belonged to a guy I know name Mark Looney. Dan became a dual grand night champ along with other big wins before he was 2 years old. A little controversy behind that hound but he was a solid dog for sure. I competed against mark several times. Those nocturnal Walker dogs are the real deal to. Kane is bred real good. I tried a bunch of the swamp rooster blood in the English dogs and just couldn't get satisfied. They had plenty of drive but the ones I had always seemed to have some aggression at the tree. I've see some that didn't though so I can't speak to much on that. Probably just my luck.

Eric Bosworth:
My third birthday present was a beagle. She was a great rabbit dog and a great house pet. She circled rabbits until they were either shot or holed up. Unfortunately she was hit by a car. When she died we got another beagle that chased rabbits up to the day she died of natural causes. She was a great dog. We had a Lab at the same time that was a good upland bird dog but on at least 2 occasions she caught rabbits in deep snow. I saw her do it twice who knows how many times she did it when we were not watching. Since then I had 2 more Labs and my dad had 3 more beagles. One of the beagles chased a rabbit into a hole in a hollow tree. She stuck her head in and got stuck. They looked all over for her. They finally found her 2 weeks later and had to cut her out with a chainsaw. That was before GPS collars. If I was to rabbit hunt again I would get the GPS collar. If it wasn't for Marcy getting stuck in a tree I would have thought they were just a cool novelty. Marcy almost didn't survive the ordeal. A great weight loss program but I don't recommend it. One of the other beagles chased a rabbit into multi floral rose and was too dumb to let it be. Finally my dad went in and got her. My mom thought she had been shot she was so covered in blood. Now I have 2 German Shorthair Pointers. One is a pacifist that would be a good bird dog if she wasn't gun shy. The other is a great bird dog. When he was 4 months old I took him pheasant hunting and my dad's Lab flushed a bird that we shot. Molly figured she flushed it her job was done, some retriever she is... We looked for about 1/2 an hour and finally Gunner dragged it out by the wing. He does not play fetch games but he does retrieve game. He chewed everything as a puppy but he has turned into everything I ever wanted in a dog... Or for those of us with dyslexia a god...

Barlon:
I used to hunt rats with jack russels which was great since nearly no rats got away between me and my dog we'd wipe out the pesky rats however my dog got killed and things have never been the same since, on another note one of my uncles uses hunting dogs however I only know them as pig dogs, their very large and not too pretty but they'll grab a boar pig and wressle it to the ground pretty amazing stuff however my uncle's main pig dog ended up getting too old for the job and while the new ones seem to manage I've never seen a dog wressle a pig nearly as well as that old dog.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version