Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: One beekeeper's varroa account  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: One beekeeper's varroa account
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:59:24 pm »
I think the honey bee is about to be overwhelmed by Chemicals and Experts
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:15:57 pm »
Yes, but Michael Bush doesn't have these problems. He is an expert. The problem is he doesn't do things the same way everyone else does. However the only one's who view this as a problem are people who are set in their ways.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:01:33 am »
it would be worth a closer study of MB's operation.  much of what he does has been tried by others with less than wonderful results.  perhaps his combination of management and breeding is his secret.  maybe he is fortunate in his location and mites are less of an issue.

unfortunately, an operation like his is out of the reach of the average....and new....beekeeper.  we must look for that middle ground.  the least amount of poison for the least amount of bee loss.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 12:32:12 am »
it would be worth a closer study of MB's operation.  much of what he does has been tried by others with less than wonderful results.  perhaps his combination of management and breeding is his secret.  maybe he is fortunate in his location and mites are less of an issue.

unfortunately, an operation like his is out of the reach of the average....and new....beekeeper.  we must look for that middle ground.  the least amount of poison for the least amount of bee loss.
Actually I think the opposite is true. I think his methods are very good for the average or new beekeepers. The commerical beekeepers would probably have more problems. Many states force commerical beekeepers to use chemicals. I use his methods and have a few personal touches of my own and have had great results. I am still a new beekeeper. I think that things like permacomb on a commerical setup would be a bit to pricey. Also I run lots of brood boxes like Finsky does. Most people here run one maybe two deeps. Alan Struthers a commerical mentor of mine runs one deep with excluders. He does pollination. Could you imagine trying to haul 300-500 hives if you are running four deeps?

I suspect that many people who try Michael's methods and have problems don't implement them correctly and then blame the method and not the implementation. I screwed up the first few times. Once I got done being frustrated and mad at myself. I realized I was the problem. On a few occasions I needed to tweak things for me. It's the ablity to adapt , improvise, and overcome that helps get things done. I think Michael has set up some very good guidelines, sometimes you just need to tweak it a little for you.

I think of those who don't succed like those in Florida who don't properly install their hurricane shutters and then blame the manufacture.

Please understand I don't use all of his methods. I don't use nucs. I figure you can put a wood barrier on the side of the frames and move them out as the hive grows. I use 9 frames for brood and honey. I use top entrances but I have a very small opening on the bottom. I am still rotating my boxes so I can get my deeps out. I will stop once my deeps are out. I hate deeps. I use permacomb for brood and honey. I have started using starter strips to experiment with making comb honey. The things I do differently I do because they work for me. That doesn't mean his methods don't work they just may not be needed or applicable here. However the foundation of his ideas is sound for me.

It is going to be very interesting to see how his checkerboarding goes. I am sure the critics are just foaming at the mouth waiting for the results.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

anything