Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sweat rag  (Read 6790 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Sweat rag
« on: July 01, 2014, 10:50:23 am »
Anybody broke out the ol sweat rags yet?

Down here in the South they are a must. For those of you who don't know, a sweat rag is a rag/cloth that you keep on you during the summer months. It's used to wipe the sweat off. When I'm real busy outside my face will feel sunburned from wiping it so much.

Also, when you're at home working around the place, how many of you change clothes around mid day on account of the sweat? Not talking about taking a bath either.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: Sweat rag
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:52:04 pm »
garry befo got so stove up use to hit a pond 2  3 times a day
to bee or not to bee

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 11:32:36 am »
When keeping bees a sweatband is my best friend.  I never seem to make it to anyplace where one would be sold.  I cut six inches off the bottom of an a cotton tee shirt and fold it in half and tie it around my brow.  Otherwise I am constantly blinded.   But it doesn't have to be hot for me to sweat!  I have been using it for two months.  Gary you  probably wouldn't consider it hot here at all.  I am going to go early while its cool to teach some beginners .  It is supposed to hit 90 today and all week!  It was a barely tolerable 87 yesterday.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:55:05 pm »
Our problem is the temp and the humidity. When I was in the first Gulf War the temps over there would be 120-130. However it's so stinking dry over there it made it more tolerable than our 80 degree with high humidity.

Heard something the other day, I'm not sure I understood it right. I believe they called it the 150(?)(I think that was the number) rule. Anytime the temp and humidity goes over that number you're in dangerous territory. Around here it's usually around 9am if not sooner.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:40:48 pm »
Thankyou for your service Gary.  It is best not to listen to all that alarmist crap because you will just learn we should all be dead by now from living in these intolerable conditions.   I know it is not hot here and the humidity is lower than the moisture level in a 2X4 at the lumber store.  Literally.  Big part of the reason I live here.  I spent part of a miserable summer in Chicago where the temp and relative humidity were both 98 and I climbed up on roofs to mop tar.  I know what intolerable is.  Then the clothes literally molded in the closet!  NO thanks spud!  I will stay up here in the frozen northlands.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:24:21 am »
gary, i've been building chicken coops and it's been miserable for the last two weeks.  i know exactly what you're talking about with the feeling sunburned from wiping sweat.  this year seems worse than last year but i've gotten old, fat and worn out over the last ten years.  l just can't take it like i used to.  sometimes i take a mid day shower and change clothes then go into town and do things for a few hours to get out of it in the hot part of the afternoon.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 10:10:55 pm »
Me too Rob. I'll go in, take a shower, drink a class of tea, and piddle for about an hour before I go back out. I have to work out in it ever day so I try not to stay in it seven days a week. Yesterday was one of those days that caught up with me - but I still had to go in. Today I've been pretty much just messing around shelling peas, pressure canning, and I took one nap :)

That's part of the way I try to keep myself regulated. Believe it or not, no matter what the temperature is, I still want my mid day cup of (hot) coffee. Most of the time I'm working outside and I drink it outside.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:18 am »
i have one giant cup in the morning and that's it for me.  i used to wear it out all day no matter how hot it was. 

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:58:11 pm »
Got my sweat bands pulled out for the summer.  We're 80 and above for the foreseeable future.  I know those farther south are laughing at us in Northwest, but we really do melt... And Western WA is a wetter heat that Eastern WA, which doesn't help.

I have two cups of coffee a day.  At this time of year, I put my second in the fridge for ice coffee.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 03:45:44 pm »
Dang down herea we have noticed the humidity is up. feels up compared to last yeara

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 10:57:43 pm »
Last Tuesday was my rotating off day. It was so humid by mid day I had to completely change clothes. Everything was stuck to me. Heck, I even had to change boots. They looked like I'd been walking through early morning dew. The next couple of days were great though.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 11:59:00 pm »
we have been in the 80's and 90's.  most of the time that wouldn't be to bad, but the humidity this year has been killer.  it feels like the south!  AliciaH, has it been like that for you also?  odd year...
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 04:51:36 am »
Me too Rob. I'll go in, take a shower, drink a class of tea, and piddle for about an hour before I go back out. I have to work out in it ever day so I try not to stay in it seven days a week. Yesterday was one of those days that caught up with me - but I still had to go in. Today I've been pretty much just messing around shelling peas, pressure canning, and I took one nap :)

That's part of the way I try to keep myself regulated. Believe it or not, no matter what the temperature is, I still want my mid day cup of (hot) coffee. Most of the time I'm working outside and I drink it outside.

This year while working on the farm, I have had to stop several times during the day and go in and just cool off in the air conditioning under a ceiling fan that is on high speed. I have not done the in the past like I have been this year. I thought I was having heart problems it was so bad. Recently had a stress test and it is not the heart, just the heat index.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Redbug

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 08:44:35 pm »
I use a sweat rag, too. It also works like a horse's tail, too.

I rotate shirts. When one gets soaked I put another on and rinse the used one out with clean water. The best place to dry a shirt is the hood of the truck. I usually have 2 shirts in rotation. When it really gets hot...it's a three shirt day...
Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 10:47:45 pm »
I usually do not change my t shirts during the day until I am ready to quit for the day. A wet shirt helps to keep you cool.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline LaurieBee

• House Bee
  • I'm loving bees today. Interested in learning.
Re:
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 02:22:18 am »
Alicia,
 I lived in south King County for 24 years. My boys live in Enumclaw. I know your pain. The humidity over there is what makes those temps uncomfortable. In eastern Washington it's dry. It took a couple of years for me to readjust but I like it much better. This is where I grew up. I missed the heat. However, this year we've had several days in the triple digits.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »
Jim you're right, but dang, I got so tired of feeling like my clothes were pasted to me. My blue jeans was making it hard for me to get around because they were dripping wet.

The end of this week is gonna be like August, we'll see if summer gives us another reality check.

I did notice one of my billies' coat had started putting on long thick hair. For what ever reason in the spring when it gets warm he looks like we took clippers to him. In the winter he has the woolly mammoth look.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:04 pm »
Just dip my hat again and again in the pool when it is hot

Offline SCPossum

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2014, 04:26:21 pm »
Frogg tog cool rag works well as a sweat rag.