Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best time of day to Fog with OA  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Dougman

• New Bee
Best time of day to Fog with OA
« on: August 07, 2018, 11:55:29 am »
Am I correct that early morning or late evening would be best to fog hives with OA/Alcohol Mixture? I plan to fog my three hives once per week for three weeks to start the ongoing regimen. Thoughts?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Best time of day to Fog with OA
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:33:16 pm »
There is no proof or studies that the OA alcohol mixture in bug foggers is a  viable/successful treatment. And be careful with the flame thrower  :wink:

As far as time of day most foragers would be home early morn or late eve> From the Oxavap page:

When is the best time to utilize OAV?
The very best time to use OAV is when the hive is broodless. Why? OA only kills phoretic mites ? those on the bees, not in the brood. At that time OAV will kill an amazing greater than 95% of the mites in the hive! So when is the hive broodless or almost so?

1. At the beginning of winter (for many, somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas).
2. When you?ve hived a swarm. (wait till you see eggs before you vaporize).
3. When you?ve completed a split and removed most of the capped brood.
4. When you purchased a package and placed it in a hive (wait till you see eggs before you vaporize.)
5. If the bees are ?flying,? the best time to treat is early morning or late evening when most are in the hive.
6. With brood breaks. Performing a treatment during this time will kill greater 95% of the phoretic mites.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 12:52:22 pm by sc-bee »
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 01:04:35 pm »
Also limited studies by Jennifer Beery show the expected kill for three treatments one week apart do not seem to hold as high as once thought. The new recommendation with brood in the hive is to cage the queen to force a brood break and then treat.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 04:44:17 pm »
Hi SC, I just paid a small fortune for a provap 110.   Uses pure oxalic acid, no alcohol,  vaporizes in 20 seconds at 230F, max 250F to prevent chemical derivatives. Uses electricity for power source.  Only a small 1/4 inch tube is inserted into the hive.

I have a friend using a fumigator that is alcohol based.  I don?t know how effective it is at the current date.
Blessings

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 05:24:19 pm »
Hi SC, I just paid a small fortune for a provap 110.   Uses pure oxalic acid, no alcohol,  vaporizes in 20 seconds at 230F, max 250F to prevent chemical derivatives. Uses electricity for power source.  Only a small 1/4 inch tube is inserted into the hive.

I have a friend using a fumigator that is alcohol based.  I don?t know how effective it is at the current date.
Blessings

Yea, I would like to spring for one but have not bit the bullet yet. I have two varrox vaporizers.  I have several bee acquaintances that have pro vaps and really like them. My hive count is not high enough to warrant one at this time.  The guy that sell them is located here in SC.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:20:12 pm »

Blessings

Yea, I would like to spring for one but have not bit the bullet yet. I have two varrox vaporizers.  I have several bee acquaintances that have pro vaps and really like them. My hive count is not high enough to warrant one at this time.  The guy that sell them is located here in SC.

Build one.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 08:56:00 pm »
Yes, Bush for the electrical minded, mechanical knowledge sort of fella, no problem.  However I am electrical incompetent.  I am doing well to replace a light bulb..  Ok joking aside the question of when to apply OA.

For me, this time of year, definitely the morning due to bearding.  I cover the entrance for about 5 minutes when I apply OA.  In the afternoon there may be 200-500 bees on the entrance, early morning, just a few guard bees on the entrance so it is a no brainer when the temps soar about 90F every afternoon and subsequent bearding on entrance.

I experienced opening a hive is less intrusive than disturbing the entrance.  My bees are sensitive to their entrance and will sting the britches off a fella if you poke something in the entrance, contrary to opening a hive and pulling a frame with calm gentle bees that don?t seem to mind.  Go figure.
Blessings

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 03:33:32 pm »

Blessings

Build one.

You got me looking at skinny bee mans build....