Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Earwigs....  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Earwigs....
« on: September 26, 2019, 12:05:57 pm »
This time of year especially we have earwigs all over the place.  Lift anything up that?s outside and you will see sometimes hundreds running for cover.

We also get the in our hives...under the top cover especially.  Never really thought of them as a threat but just thought I?d inquire those that know more.  Someone said they felt the helped with mite threat but not sure about that.

Any thoughts?
You are what you think.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Earwigs....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:37:15 am »
This time of year especially we have earwigs all over the place.  Lift anything up that?s outside and you will see sometimes hundreds running for cover.

We also get the in our hives...under the top cover especially.  Never really thought of them as a threat but just thought I?d inquire those that know more.  Someone said they felt the helped with mite threat but not sure about that.

Any thoughts?

Aroc I have never heard of earwigs.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 01:09:49 am »
I have seen several on my hives.  I think that there is a thread on here from a couple years ago that discusses them.  I think that the are beneficial to the hive only eating the bugs that are around the hive.  They don't bother the bees.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 12:49:39 pm »
I see earwigs around my hives occasionally, usually between the covers.  I don't think they are much of a problem.  They like to hang out in cool, dark places, and they are omnivorous scavengers, so I doubt they try to invade the hive space the bees are living in.  They are not dangerous to people either.  They can pinch with their pincers if they feel threatened, but they don't sting or bite.  The males have curved pincers and the females have straight ones.  I was doing a little reading about them, and I found out that female earwigs actually care for and raise their young, which is of course quite rare amongst non-social insects.           
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 07:53:00 am »
some people actually buy them for their hives. they like varroa mites and will grab one and hold it while they eat one. the mites have no defence . some where i have seen a video of one in action.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 08:42:06 am »
Earwigs are good for clean up.  They hang around damp rotting wood.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 01:43:53 pm »
Earwigs are just weird little insects: a set of pinchers on the butt????  and even the name is weird:  EAR WIG!  What was that fella drinking when he/she named the insect???
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 04:13:40 pm »
Earwigs are just weird little insects: a set of pinchers on the butt????  and even the name is weird:  EAR WIG!  What was that fella drinking when he/she named the insect???
Van
If you are actually curious, the name comes from an old erroneous wives tale that earwigs like to crawl into human ears.  "Wig" comes from the Old English word wicga which meant "insect".  Wicga is one of the roots for our modern word "wiggle".  However, just to reiterate, earwigs do NOT seek out human ears.  :happy:         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 06:11:23 pm »
....an old erroneous wives' tale made horrifying by the earwig scene in The Wrath of Khan.  Saw it one time 30 years ago and NEVER again!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 06:39:05 pm »
The brown earwigs are better than the black ones per that thread we had here several years ago. The like today SHBs per our Australian friends.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 07:34:54 pm »
....an old erroneous wives' tale made horrifying by the earwig scene in The Wrath of Khan.  Saw it one time 30 years ago and NEVER again!
As an avid Star Trek fan, I?m afraid I must correct you. That was not an earwig, but a juvenile Ceti eel.  :rolleyes: :wink: :cheesy:

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2019, 09:29:53 pm »

That was not an earwig, but a juvenile Ceti eel.
Argh!
 :shocked:
Could it get worse?
It just did!

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Earwigs....
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 07:55:41 am »
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:42:37 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 12:49:42 pm »
Thank you, HP, for reminding us that there are 2 sides to every coin.  Even the coin of "slimy aliens that go in your ear and take over at least part of your brain."  :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Earwigs....
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 01:17:03 am »
LOL.  Happy you liked it. :)
I will suffer a babelfish before beans every time!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

anything