Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My new Styrofoam Hive, I just added bees.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
My new Styrofoam Hive, I just added bees.
« on: March 28, 2019, 05:16:34 pm »
In the pic are two hives, one a standard 10 frame langstrof and of course my new styrofoam hive that I painted green and yellow.  I transferred the bees to the styrofoam from a five frame two high nuc, 10 deep frames total.  The nuc body in the pic leaning against the entrance as the returning foragers were looking for the nuc, and did not recognize the new hive.  I placed 10 frames from the nuc in the bottom section of the styrofoam hive and added a top section of waxed out frames.

I am leaving out some details as this is elementary to most.  If there is a specific question, just ask.

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My new Styrofoam Hive, I just added bees.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 06:30:17 pm »
 Van,
Did you get them for the insulation value or was there some other reason?
Jim Altmiller has
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 07:37:52 pm »
Jim, insulation was a factor.  However I just wanted to try something new, remember I am a hobbyist.  The price was reasonable, made for standard frames, controllable air vents, the weight is much less and appreciated by my back.  So I thought I would try.

Will the bees abscond?  I don?t know.  Does the styrofoam smell to the bees?
I THINK the bees will like it I REASON as learnt to me by ID and Bush.

Blessings to all the Beeks.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »
They run them across the pond and have good luck. Does a regular super fit or did you get a couple mediums.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 08:26:02 pm »
I purchased 2 deeps, all compatible with standard shallows, supers, deeps, it all interchangeable.  The inside demisions are same as langstrof.  If I were to place a wood hive body on, the insides would line up perfectly but the styrofoam outside wall would overhang as the foam walls are about 2 inches thick.

I kinda of excited to see if there is bearding in July.  The styrofoam is supposed to be cooler in summer and warmer in winter with its high R value.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 08:57:43 pm »
interesting
if my memory serves me, I think one time I put styrofoam insulation in a top and the bees chewed it pretty much
it'll be interesting to see how they treat a hive body
the insulation is an obvious plus

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 09:38:13 pm »
The insulation is dense, not like a beer cooler.  But Hey, you may have a point about chewing, I?ve seen the bees chew wood we all know that one.  I have seen bees chew threw very thick rubber bands holding cut outs to a frame. 

It will be interesting to determine the pro and cons after months go by.  I?ll kept the forum posted.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:56 pm »
what is the surface like?
we built a garage a couple of years ago and the doors were not insulated
I bought some insulation kits from the big orange box
it was panels of styrofoam with some kind of hard protective shell on it
would be nice stuff to build bee equipment from, but you'd have to get it cheaper somewhere than those kits
anyway, it's not all that cold around here, just another interesting idea

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 10:49:11 pm »
Parts that are doved tailed and screwed have hard plastic inserts molded in for holding the screw threads tightly.  I can dent the styrofoam with my fingernail but not as easy as a beer cooler.  It is noted as dense styrofoam.  I could not shove a nail through it by hand unless it was a very tiny trim nail.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 11:08:17 am »
I like it and will make a few with thick foam I salvaged from a hot tub lid. Probably use mollies for the screw fasteners in the corners. Maybe tape them also.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 01:38:10 pm »
Van, did you order boxes ? I had thoughts about experimenting with these a couple of years ago. There was a good thread on here with Robo who used these types to mimic feral bee's in a tree with no upper vent.
I finally reasoned with the fact that it doesn't get that cold here. Now I started 2yrs. ago using 2" extruded polystyrene (owenscorning) commercial wall form board insulation r-19 I think , very dense. Under Tele cover, on top of inner cover. Found out quick that I had to staple window screen on oblong hole in inner covers, bee's automatically went to foam and began chewing it and bringing it out of entrance. I thought purchased boxes had a thin layer of luan? wood on inside glued in place?

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 02:36:42 pm »
No wood on these syrofoam boxes, no wood at all.  Stainless Steel clamps, hard plastic inserts, screws, and dense foam, glue, are the only ingredients.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 04:23:24 pm »
Is it polystyrene?

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2019, 04:36:31 pm »
Yes, correct: polystyrene, I looked up at MFG.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 06:48:12 pm »
Close up showing screews, latches and there are four ports on top with screen or closed as shown.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 08:14:50 pm »
I wonder how the shorter sides with the rabbit cut for the frames will hold up to the hive tool. Frames get stuck and you have to pry a little. If I  make one those 2 sides will be wood. I use home depot foam for tops with OK results.  Cheap fast and water proof . I did have ants tunnel into foam a few times and tried to make a nest. Not that big of deal for lid but the boxes would be a big deal.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2019, 09:52:12 pm »
ed/La,

do you just use the Styrofoam?
does it hold up to the sun?
sounds like an easy/cheap solution
maybe over sized Styrofoam with a wooden inner cover so the foam doesn't get propolized down
plus oversize foam would be a nice roof overhang for sun/weather protection, hold it down with a brick
I need a couple of tops, nice idea

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2019, 10:39:37 pm »
The foam with the foil type cover or the pink with plastic cover. Cost about $11 for 4x8 sheet. Around $1 each. I do use a brick to weigh down and often cut oversize for shading the sides. They hold up to the sun. If you make your own boxes HD sells #2 construction grade pine 1x6x16 for about $6 after tax here. Enough to build a deep box and the frames. The bees don't care what the boxes are made from only the beekeeper.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 11:12:18 am »
I need to double check but it looks like lumber is cheaper where you live

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 01:34:15 pm »
Is the entrance the same width as a standard 10 frame bottom board?  The reason I ask is that I treat my bees for varroa mites with Might Mite Killer which is a thermal treatment.  The heat plate the slides in the entrance is the width of a standard 8 or 10 frame bottom board depending upon which model you buy/use.