Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Foundationless Frames With Aid of Fishingline  (Read 8331 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Foundationless Frames With Aid of Fishingline
« on: March 28, 2019, 01:15:31 pm »
I have read a thread here discussing fishing line as re-enforcement with foundation added. It seems the consensus pretty much was a nay answer and opinion. Has anyone here tried foundationless with the aid of fishing line, allowing the bees to draw comb incorporating in the line in the new drawn comb?  Since that thread, I have and am with good results. Anyone else?
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Foundationless Frames With Aid of Fishingline
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 02:20:52 pm »
I haven't done fishing line, but they incorporated wire just fine.  I don't do it anymore.  The wire is always in my way...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 03:24:01 pm »
I tried it last year using two different types of line. They built around both of them. I will use wire from now on.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:08:22 pm »
The sole purpose of the wire or line is to provide support to the wax so the frame does not blow apart in the extractor.

If you are dealing with brood frames that will not ever be put in the extractor then no extra support is needed at all.  No need for wire or anything.

For frames that will be extracted, use steel/copper wire or go with the plastic foundation. The fishing line stretches, effectively being completely useless at its purpose of supporting the wax during the forces of honey extraction.

The only place and time that fishing line would be an option to consider is when hiving a cutout.  Use the fishing line to tie cuts of comb into the frames that the cutout colony is being re-hived into.  It is also useful for patching back together chunks of comb from a hive that had been ripped apart by Winnie-The-Pooh or some other two legged creature.  Fishing line is easy to work with and helps hold bits of comb together until the bees are able to rework the comb and bind it into the frame to their liking.

No other conceivable use for fishing line in a beehive or the beekeepers tool box; in terms of normal hive management and operations.  Excepting of course if there is a nice creek near your bee yard and you want to go toss a hook in over lunch hour break.

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 05:56:39 pm »
Ben,
I watched a YouTube I think it was Fatbeeman. He said when he would let bee's naturally make Q's with splits and if he needed to cut some of those Q cells out of the comb. That the bee's always seemed to build Q cell's on the wire . So a knife not cutting wire, fishing line knife cuts rite thru.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 06:32:07 pm »
Yes Mikey, that is one advantage and a big one! How hard is it to cut queen cells from a plastic cell, if the intention is to save the queen? there are other advantages also. Being this is my first year beekeeping I have no drawn comb stored. I am searching for good things. A good thing about the fishing line incorporated with going completely FOUNDATIONLESS is, less  fear of the breaking away or tearing away of new comb.,New wax is very fragile to say the least. The last thing that I would want to do is pull out a freshly drawn, white waxed new comb, which might have the queen on it and loaded with new larva and eggs along with bees, fall of the frame onto the ground. So far, my bees hasn't  hesitated in drawing wax, incorporating the 15 lb test line into the comb. I love it! ❤️!!! I will have wax which is chemical free. No buying foundation. No cross wiring and melting wire into foundation, the bees take care of it.  👍🏻 Is my vote so far!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:52:25 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 06:34:45 pm »
Phillip,
Did you steam test the fishing line to see if it will hold up in a steam box wax melter?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 06:43:17 pm »
For me and my loss of dexterity I can go the 2 or 3 skewer method, been going that a few years and I really like the skewers.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 06:49:13 pm »
Phillip,
Did you steam test the fishing line to see if it will hold up in a steam box wax melter?
Jim Altmiller

No I haven't tried that Jim. If it does that will be wonderful, if not I am still ahead of no support at all during  the time of the use cycle of the comb.  I look forward to going into the fall and winter with plenty drawn frames of comb and the added support can't be a bad thing?  Now, if the fishing line can withstand the steam wax melter as described by way out west, that will be an even bigger advantage for my purposes. Icing on the cake so to speak. Cake doesn't always have to have icing to be good, even though it helps  improve the delight.  😊
Phillip

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 09:07:26 pm »
Braided line ?

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »
Not monofilament .

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 11:29:10 pm »
Not monofilament .

Yea monofilament. 15 pound cheap eagle claw from Walmart. Now remember strictly NO foundation. From other threads I have read bees do not incorporate foundation with monofilament. As far as that goes,  I have read where folks lace the topbar with pop sickle sticks. I do not use pop sickle sticks. Instead I rip the desired strip from a one by board which is really a 3/4 board to the desired thickness, place in the groove of the top bar, and with the aid of an air pin gun (23) gauge, run 4 pins attaching the top bar and the strips together. I have not seen this done, something that I thought of and each one can be attached in seconds. Works like a charm.  I have not had one culled yet! And I don't even add melted wax as some suggest, however I do checker board these in between already established Frames.
Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 11:43:48 pm »

... I rip the desired strip from a one by board which is really a 3/4 board to the desired thickness, place in the groove of the top bar, and with the aid of an air pin gun (23) gauge, run 4 pins attaching the top bar and the strips together.

Thats how I figured out to do it. Except I use wedge frames and flip the wedge into the groove on top (per Mr. Bush) and then air-nail in place.

... I don't even add melted wax as some suggest, ...

Me either. Works just fine.

however I do checker board these in between already established Frames.

Yup - I haven't tried without checker boarding yet. Things may be different then.

BUT - I use medium frames, and don't use any wires or fishing line. I just make sure the comb is connected to the frame on all sides prior to attempting extraction. I don't think this would work well on deep frames.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 12:29:13 am »
Alan, as we both stated,  I haven't tried without checker boarding either. Not that brave yet! But I have considered trying it. The though of the possibility of cross comb holds me back. Maybe someone here has and can fill us in?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2019, 12:40:06 am »
I tried putting a super of empty foundationless frames on top of a hive during a good flow once.  Won't do that again.  When I checked on it a week later they had drawn comb at a 45 degree angle across the frames.  They had half the box drawn out and full of nectar.  It was a mess to get straightened up.  I will only put foundationless frames between drawn frames from now on.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 12:40:54 am »
Phillip - I saw Mr. Bush drop a package into a box full of foundationless frames in one of his videos. He says it works, but you have to keep an eye on them.

Checkerboarding works well though. Especially when you've got some resources to work with starting out.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 12:43:44 am »
Wow cao, that was what I was suspecting and why I have been holding off from trying.  I'm sure that you had a wedge as a guide on the bottom of each top bar?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 12:46:53 am »
Phillip - I saw Mr. Bush drop a package into a box full of foundationless frames in one of his videos. He says it works, but you have to keep an eye on them.

Checkerboarding works well though. Especially when you've got some resources to work with starting out.

Thanks Alan, I just sent a PM to you, unrelated to this topic. (It was an answer to you form one you sent to me a day or so ago)  I didn't mean to wait this long to answer.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 12:51:21 am »
Cao - they can really make a mess when they get going can't they. :grin:

My 1st yr, my buddy gave me 2 deeps, but only 10 frames for the bottom box. He said he'd bring more frames once they started to expand. He and I weren't on the same page with the bees. When we tried to open the upper deep, we had a problem - it was completely full of comb attached to the lid, walls, and frames below. What a mess they can make, and quickly too!

Bees seemed happy though. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 12:51:50 am »
Cao. Just shows how fast our bees work when resources are available.

Alan, I have all confidence in Mr Bush as well as what you tell me. But just as sure as the wind blows, I might get sidetracked for a week like cao did his results would probably be just my luck!! 😁😊. But I will admit, I'm still tempted!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2019, 12:53:09 am »

Thanks Alan, I just sent a PM to you, unrelated to this topic. (It was an answer to you form one you sent to me a day or so ago)  I didn't mean to wait this long to answer.

No worries Phillip - no worries.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2019, 12:56:41 am »
Cao - they can really make a mess when they get going can't they. :grin:

My 1st yr, my buddy gave a 2 deeps, but only 10 frames for the bottom box. He said he'd bring more frames once they started to expand. He and I weren't on the same page with the bees. When we tried to open the upper deep, we had a problem - it was completely full of comb attached to the lid, walls, and frames below. What a mess they can make, and quickly too!

Bees seemed happy though. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Wow! Reminded me of when I was hanging out with my uncle when I was a teenager. A wood duck box packed full of what you two just described!! A mess and those  little black bees were furious !! Haa haa 
And to top it off I was ill equipped!! 😁😊. They tore me up!!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2019, 12:57:30 am »
Phillip - I said I saw him put them in. But I never saw what it looked like 6 months later.  :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 01:00:23 am »
Phillip - I said I saw him put them in. But I never saw what it looked like 6 months later.  :grin:

:happy:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 01:08:52 am »
Wow! Reminded me of when I was hanging out with my uncle when I was a teenager. A wood duck box packed full of what you two just described!! A mess and those  little black bees were furious !! Haa haa 
And to top it off I was ill equipped!! . They tore me up!!

:grin: you know what they say Phillip, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ... except bears: bears will definitely kill you"  :cheesy: :grin:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2019, 03:36:37 pm »
And to top it off I was ill equipped!! . They tore me up!!

:grin: you know what they say Phillip, "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger ... except bears: bears will definitely kill you"  :cheesy: :grin:

Haa haa 😊😁

Offline StraferX

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2019, 09:46:11 am »
Hello from West Virginia I am a new Beek with a new hive, also purchased 2 packages of bees coming from Wolf Creek late April and had a couple questions. The hive I purchased has 2 deeps and 2 mediums and I have decided to split this hive into 2 seperate units and use the deeps as the base and mediums the rest of the way upwards, your plans change once you get a hive in your hands. I have decided to go all natural as possible.

It appears that general consensus is to use a few foundations inbetween foundationless frames to guide the new bees.

1.My question is it really necessary use a wire/string support for medium frames?
2. If bees build top to bottom then what is best practice or most successful, support wires/skewers side to side or top to bottom?
3. The hive I purchased the mediums are not built correctly and do not lay flat leaving 3/16 gap in opposing corners, I have belt sanded most of this warp out yet still small gap. Will the bees take care of this by filling it in. I will from now on be building my own hives.
4. At what point should you introduce narrow frame space as described on Mr Bush website?

Well that is all my questions relevant to this thread, I know I will have a ton more. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 10:03:38 am by StraferX »
As for me and my house, We WILL serve the Lord.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2019, 10:11:58 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
I run all mediums and I put foundation less frames in my swarm traps. The frames have a waxed wooden strip in the top slot. Works real well with no wires and as long as they connect the comb to the bottom of the frame I can run them through my motorized extractor.
The narrow frames are for the brood chamber. Start using them any time. You put 11 frames in a 10 frame box or 9 frames in a 8 frame box.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2019, 12:30:51 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.

Here are my answers:

#1 - what Jim said
#2 - I don't use any supports in foundationless mediums. As Jim said, don't try extraction unless they have attached the comb to the frame all the way around.
#3 - they will fill in gaps eventually. Be careful about sanding down the boxes. If you reduce the internal beespace, it might cause additional problems.
#4 - what Jim said.

:grin:

Alan

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2019, 01:07:57 pm »
I am a new beekeeper, all the advice that I give is only what I have personally experienced, which is limited.  haa haaa. I will, time to time repeat what someone else, whom I trust, has told me. But when I do repeat, I always try to remember to give credit to whom is deserved. I only have deeps at the present time. I am not shooting for honey this season but intend to make splits, splits, splits. My goal this season is to produce as many hives as possiable going into the fall, along with good frames of extra drawn comb going into the winter, as to be used as brood comb.  Several of my frames are from rubber banded cut out comb. Most of this was black comb. I intend to melt most of this replacing by slowly incorporating new drawn out frames. Thus the added reinforcement is a plus for me. Fishing line as this method is working superbly. I started last spring via, doing cutouts. I have been at it almost a year. Good luck to you and your bees.
Phillip

Offline StraferX

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2019, 06:28:00 pm »
Thank you for the replys, this site is chock full of good information.
As for me and my house, We WILL serve the Lord.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2019, 11:44:16 am »
>The sole purpose of the wire or line is to provide support to the wax so the frame does not blow apart in the extractor.

If you read all the old ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture editions over the years, wiring was always for one purpose, which is keeping foundation from sagging.  People were extracting before and after wiring was invented and I can't find ANY reference to it being invented for the purpose of extraction.  Maybe there is one, but I have not seen it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2019, 04:08:41 pm »
Some of these guys have seen me handle frames a little ... clumsily.  :)  so I like fishing line in my deep frames that I intend for brood. I use 50lb test because it is stiffer when I pull it taut. It's in there so that if I flop or drop or bang a frame, especially if they haven't attached the sides amd bottom yet, I don't break the comb out of the frame. Especially when it's hot and soft.

In medium frames that I intend for honey frames I use either plastic foundation to extract or none for cut-crush-strain.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 08:32:02 am »
I do not use foundation only starter strips. All deep frames and do not use anything for extra support. If you hold the frame in the correct direction even the newest comb will not break loose. Top bar hives have no way of adding support and they hold up fine. I have put a nail through the side holes as support and bees incorporate into come but not necessary. I don't have time to run wire or line through 100s of frames. To each their own. For starter strips I have tried everything I can think of. 1 inch strips or so. Wax, plastic,wood,thick paper, wooden chop sticks etc. I even tried electric wire stapled to top. My new frame design has no grooves. Speeds up frame building but makes starter strip installation challenging.Stapled wood is easiest. I might make a jig to do cast in place wax starter strips. If satisfied with results I will make  several and cast 10 at a time. Anything to speed things up and cut costs. If

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 10:48:40 pm »
Ben Framed,

How long are you going to tell people you are a beginning beekeeper? You have been on this site about two years, Phillip, so I would say you are now an experienced beekeeper.  Not at the level of idee, of course, but somewhat experienced, so I encourage you to have more confidence.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 03:30:13 am »
Ben Framed,

How long are you going to tell people you are a beginning beekeeper? You have been on this site about two years, Phillip, so I would say you are now an experienced beekeeper.  Not at the level of idee, of course, but somewhat experienced, so I encourage you to have more confidence.

Haha! Thank you Dallas. What you say is true, I have been here for at least two years. I joined to read and learn from from you folks, trying to learn all that I could anticipating the day that I could, myself, have my very own bees.  I can't remember if I posted here before or after I had my first hive, but it was about that time that I did first post. I was interested, in bees well before that, back in 2008 my curiosity was really sparked. I came here then, in my spare time, and read some. But was not interested in joining because I knew that I wasn't going to have time for bees anytime soon. I did drift away, but alway was thinking of bees!  Those were also good times here. Folks in particular which stood out to me was Brian D Bray and Michael Bush and not necessary in that order. In my mind they are both legends. There was another fellow here which had a picture of Uncle Joe, ( the fellow on the old Petty Coat Junction reruns), I am sorry that I don't remember his name. Also a grouchy type fellow from Finland. There were others also. and some of you are still here as well as Mr Bush!   
  But really, I am just a beginner. I have almost completed my first year with my own bees. In this year, I have packed in a lot of learning thanks to all of you here. In every comment, I find knowledge, weather it is right or wrong. If it is right y'all support it. If it is wrong y'all make it right by calling it out.  So I have decided, that any question, that I may have, is worth asking.  I would like to encourage all new beekeepers here, to absolutely post you questions. We all benefit. Every question posted is relevant.
  As far as being as knowledgeable as Iddee and some others, as you, here, I doubt that I will ever make it to that level!  I am happy that they are here to help us (beginners) along the way! I really like Iddee, he cuts through the chase and tells it like it is, weather it is here or the coffee house!  :happy:
  I thank you Dallas for you encouragement. To be recognized by my peers as yourself, and Van as my being more than a beginner, is quite a complement, which I don't take lightly. My first year anniversary of keeping bees is coming up soon, or may have already came. I will check and see when I did my first cutout and confirm. Anyway, after my first completed year, I will stop the beginner talk. Again, thank you Dallas for all your help and encouragement as well as all the rest of you here on Beemaster. 

Sincerely, Phillip 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 09:27:32 am »
I've always had a lot of respect for people who say they are beginners and then you find out they've had bees for several years.  I'm a beginner.  I've only had bees for 45 years and there is SO much left to learn...
-------------------

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 09:36:57 am »
I've always had a lot of respect for people who say they are beginners and then you find out they've had bees for several years.  I'm a beginner.  I've only had bees for 45 years and there is SO much left to learn...

Haa haa 😁  You might have been a beginner 44 years ago.....  welcome to the intermediate class ..😁😁😁🐝

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2019, 12:58:58 pm »
Phillip, my point, really was to have confidence in answering the questions your experience qualifies you to answer.  As Mr. Bush points out, we are all still learning.  Often, I put forward a possible answer and invite the better informed to join in, since I lack the experience to frame an answer in the absolute.  I think that is what you mean to do when you answer a question but say you are a beginner.  I did not mean to put you down for saying that.  My intent was to help build your confidence, because from what I have observed, you have grown a great deal since your early days here with us.

Someimes we get somebody that joins the forum who obviouly think they know everything.  I just hang back and watch what they say.  Once in a while, they turn out to be very well-informed.  Other times, they are full of hot air.  Regardless, they deserve a respectful reception unless they turn out to have some kind of intent to cause disruption or such. 

"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2019, 03:50:42 pm »
Phillip, my point, really was to have confidence in answering the questions your experience qualifies you to answer.  As Mr. Bush points out, we are all still learning.  Often, I put forward a possible answer and invite the better informed to join in, since I lack the experience to frame an answer in the absolute.  I think that is what you mean to do when you answer a question but say you are a beginner.  I did not mean to put you down for saying that.  My intent was to help build your confidence, because from what I have
observed, you have grown a great deal since your early days here with us.

Someimes we get somebody that joins the forum who obviouly think they know everything.  I just hang back and watch what they say.  Once in a while, they turn out to be very well-informed.  Other times, they are full of hot air.  Regardless, they deserve a respectful reception unless they turn out to have some kind of intent to cause disruption or such.

Thanks Dallas. I fully understand your meaning and I thank you for your encouragement. As you have probabaly guessed, I do not want to lead anyone wrong with bad advise. So I give it wirh a "grain of salt" (beginner) but you are right. I will speak with more confidence, and I have the assurance that if I do give bad advise, some of you seasoned guys and gals will not let me lead someone on the wrong path or in error. Thanks again, Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2021, 10:22:24 pm »
Some things I have learned from experience along with experimentation and exploring, since we were posting on this topic a couple years ago. Considering both 'fishing line' reinforcement method, as well as completely open foundationless.
First, I appreciate all who joined in the conversation and input on this topic back then. Each poster made good points. Adding I use deeps not medium. These problems may not exist with mediums since they are not as tall and may not require as much support as deeps.. considering weight..

One thing I will 'second' is the point made by Coolbees about checkerboarding fishing line foundationless, (or any other foundationless for that matter), I found it's a must.. They will most certainly make a mess of things. Maybe not every time but It WILL happen..  Number 2 is though fishing line or any other type reinforcement is not only good for extraction, but a renforcent detouring sagging as well. Unfortunately I found out the hard way when 'new' comb was drawn out and immediately filled with honey, it can sag in the heat of the South, (speaking of completely foundationless without any type reinforcement), just as Mr Bush taught here; yet not only sag but tear off, literally ripping away from itself, or ripping from the starter strip. I have had this happen causing a domino effect.. What a mess and a waste.. Number 3, I had mentioned pen Nailing the starter strip with #23 pin nails in this topic. This is great but you MUST also glue these strips in place or they may also give way. Meaning the starter strips will, in my experience will come loose and again, what a mess and a waste. 'Yes' I have had this happen as well. Number 4 If you really want to go foundationless, I highly recommend the skewer method as described by Paus, over the fishing line method  My experience with this excellent method is, as long as you checkerboard with good straight frames of combs on both sides of the empty skewer frames. The bees will make a good, straight, strong, reinforced frame of comb in most cases.

Let me add, last but not least. Robo has posted of using wire, (and Mr Bush mentioned it here as well), through open frames and I feel certain; that is an excellent choice as well. Skewers were cheap and handy so I went for it. $1.00 per hundred at the local Dollar Tree location.  (dollar store)

I hope this helps. I wish I had realized the importance of each step, instead of "the school of hard knocks" lessens that I learned the hard way and am now sharing here with you.

Phillip
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 10:59:54 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2021, 11:57:34 pm »
Interesting, Ben.
I suppose I will experience the cons of foundationless frames eventually. So far (3 years) I have only good things to say.
I don't fish line or skewer my frames. Although I see some warping of the cell size on old comb, in general the combs themselves never sag or tear or break, and all mine are deeps. Of course I started out with foundationless, and learned care in handling from the beginning.
I use wedge frames, breaking off the wooden wedge and gluing/tacking it on as a guide. I never add melted wax, but let the bees attach the comb themselves. Their attachment is almost always thick and strong at the top bar.
Meanwhile, I can't remember the last time they cross combed. But then I add empties between the brood frames, and that guides their building. I scatter 3 or 4 empty foundationless frames each week in my horizontal hives, rather than an entire empty box on a standard hive, so my bees never have to deal with a solid row of empty frames together. Maybe that leads to cross combing.
I do find some wonky, thick combs at the top, where the bees extend their honey cells, and that does interfere with the closeness of the next frame, but I imagine that happens with foundation also.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 01:24:29 am »
Interesting, Ben.
I suppose I will experience the cons of foundationless frames eventually. So far (3 years) I have only good things to say.
I don't fish line or skewer my frames. Although I see some warping of the cell size on old comb, in general the combs themselves never sag or tear or break, and all mine are deeps. Of course I started out with foundationless, and learned care in handling from the beginning.
I use wedge frames, breaking off the wooden wedge and gluing/tacking it on as a guide. I never add melted wax, but let the bees attach the comb themselves. Their attachment is almost always thick and strong at the top bar.
Meanwhile, I can't remember the last time they cross combed. But then I add empties between the brood frames, and that guides their building. I scatter 3 or 4 empty foundationless frames each week in my horizontal hives, rather than an entire empty box on a standard hive, so my bees never have to deal with a solid row of empty frames together. Maybe that leads to cross combing.
I do find some wonky, thick combs at the top, where the bees extend their honey cells, and that does interfere with the closeness of the next frame, but I imagine that happens with foundation also.

Thank you Bob for your input on this subject. Very appreciated..   :smile:

>I suppose I will experience the cons of foundationless frames eventually. So far (3 years) I have only good things to say.

I am happy that you haven't experienced sag, tear, or break, in your deep langstroth hives and I hope you never do.  I had this trouble during a late June flow, with new white comb made on completely foundationless without support, loaded with fresh nectar heated up in the hot sun.  Otherwise I have been ok with completely foundationless. Handling it had nothing to do with it in this case. It wasn't handled until the top was opened looking in side seeing it was time to clean up the tragic domino effected mess lol. It's a sad thing when it happens.

>so my bees never have to deal with a solid row of empty frames together. Maybe that leads to cross combing.

Indeed it does. Michael Bush, Coolbees, Cao, and others along with myself had discussed the same thing, actually Mr Bush had successfully achieved this (with precautions). I as you, had always placed empty frameless frames (supported or not), in between two drawn out frames, as can be read in pryor post here on this topic. We also talked of the prospect in earlier post above, of simply throwing an empty frameless box on top. For those who have not read, might find it interesting of what Mr Bush had to say. At the time of those post I was reluctant to try a box or even a few frames without the aid of fully drawn combs on either side. Thought warned, my curiosity was already there and my spirit of experimentation kicked in. lol That is where the experimentation part comes in. So much for that experiment..  :wink:

>I use wedge frames, breaking off the wooden wedge and gluing/tacking it on as a guide. I never add melted wax, but let the bees attach the comb themselves. Their attachment is almost always thick and strong at the top bar.

Yes as you might have read, we also discussed wedges in pryor post above.. Along with different methods of attaching starter strips, as well as different materials for starter strips, including the wedge as you describe.

Bob, I could have started a new topic. But after looking back at this old topic and the members who took time to post their interesting thoughts, experiences, and opinions; I decided to update this valuable topic with my experiences, not only for your pleasure, but just as importantly for those who may in the future wish to go foundationless. At the same time, thinking about our guest and members, which might also enjoy going back in time reading different thoughts on this subject from these participating members, (sadly to say some of whom may no longer with us. [Good Ole Dallas for instance, I miss him]), while giving an honest effort to help all be successful, giving a leg up in the saddle, (if you will), avoiding the mistakes that I made as well as the results of experiments failed.. :grin: 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:41:56 am by Ben Framed »

anything