Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new trapout hives (queenless?)  (Read 3305 times)

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
Re: new trapout hives (queenless?)
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2019, 02:14:24 pm »
 This is on her she needs to make it right.I wonder if she comes to this forum? You here Jennifer? Were all the frames in nuc drawn out with comb? 1 frame of honey would have been plenty. You needed capped brood larva and eggs. The flow is on so plenty of food available. Be nice and tell her to fix it. If that doesn't work split the difference and 1/2 price installed in your box. Leave it there for a week to settle in.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 12:51:03 pm »
The seller is telling me to install the frames into my other hives.
Does that mean the few bees that are left go too or shake them off first?  Does that mean replace the honey stores in my other hives or just one?
This hive is most definitely being robbed as it?s in between my two cutouts and I see them going in .
How and where do I put these frames? 
My other hives have a few undrawn new plastic wax coated frames
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2019, 02:26:24 pm »
Why did she tell you to install the frames in another hive. She should want them back if she is replacing the hive. If she is replacing it and giving you the frames that is great. Just add them to a hive with some smoke.
My first Nuc had a drone laying queen. She had deformed wing virus and could never have made her mating flight. I bought the hive the same day that the seller picked up the nucs. He drove an hour to check the hive, brought in a new queen and installed her. It was too late and the hive crashed due to SHBs and he replaced it with a 2 deep hive that had recently swarmed. That hive made 150 pounds of honey the following year.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2019, 03:44:24 pm »
 It sounds like she not replacing the nuc. If true ask for half price nuc. Bring her a box and let her get it started. Leave them there for 4 or 5 days to settle in. Call her the night before you pick them up so she can close entrance. Pick up 1st thing in morning and open entrance 1/2 hour after you get them home. Leave them alone for a few weeks before you pull frames for inspection.  Frames with honey are being robbed put them with your stronger hive so they can protect them. A weak hive might not be able to. Empty comb give to any hive.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 11:57:20 pm »
She emailed me today in good faith saying her questions were strictly for education and not to cheat me- I?m like the Bible - when Peter denies 3 times I consider unfaithfulness-
She refunded my pay pal account
I would rather have bees.
I put one drawn wax  frame into a strong hive and gave the honey to my guitar stringer at Guitar World who will make mead -
It?s up to me

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 09:51:54 am »
If your area is anything like here you should be able to catch some swarms. Use all your empty boxes and scatter around at friends and family backyard. If you are handy make up some boxes.Put out as many as you can.  You do need frames where you can put 1 or 2 inch starter strips.Never used plastic frames so do not know about them. With swarms and splits I went from 5 hives to 50 in one season. It does help to make your own boxes.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 12:02:16 pm »
Place one drawn comb next to one side and empty frames with waxed wooden strips in the slot. Put them about 5 to 8 feet above ground. Put a Qtip with lemon grass oil on it, wipe around the entrance and put the Qtip in a sealed baggie in the bottom.
Good luck.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2019, 01:41:46 pm »
If your area is anything like here you should be able to catch some swarms. Use all your empty boxes and scatter around at friends and family backyard. If you are handy make up some boxes.Put out as many as you can.  You do need frames where you can put 1 or 2 inch starter strips.Never used plastic frames so do not know about them. With swarms and splits I went from 5 hives to 50 in one season. It does help to make your own boxes.

She?s making me a new nuc.
I did a total hive inspection including the green cutout hive- she has really good comb drawing out / nectar and a lot of front door activity-
The middle frame had a Q cell so I assume they are still trying to produce a Q- that?s the one Iddee told me to wait on inspection.

Talk about dejection, that was my first real hive inspection and the frame with the Q cell fell apart at both ends- I kept my calm and rubberbanded them back. That ruined my day as I immediately crashed on myself as a ?loser? - that?s my bipolar.
After that , I did a simple top off inspection of the other 2 - in hopes I wouldn?t screw up again -
The second cutout hive is gamgbusterrs and has planet bees in there.

You guys may not know but I?m disabled with mental problems so I?m trying to focus on these bees to rehab me.
Thank you for your information and love
It?s up to me

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 06:42:48 pm »
If you keep frame in same orientation as in the hive they will not break. If you turn 90 degrees they have much better chance of breaking. Especially if it's heavy. Consider the learning curve like a college class. You messed up a frame of comb but you learned a lot. It was worth it. Probably won't happen again. The school of hard knocks. Good way to learn. If we were neighbors you could practice on my hives. I am looking for someone that wants to learn to help out. I have people that can't do inspection because they are afraid. Have you joined your local bee club? Good way to meet like minded people and learn. Ours is  $10 or $15 a year. Meets once a month. How many queen cells?  Just 1? Was there brood or larva.? One of the first things you look for on inspection is larva. Often you can stop right there. Lot of bees larva I'm done on to the next one. No need to look at every frame. Good luck.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 07:54:06 pm »
I joined the club- we have 5 hives to play with there on 2 sundays a month.
It?s up to me