Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do bees think? Or any "beast"?  (Read 3683 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Re: Do bees think? Or any "beast"?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 10:53:36 am »
I'd classify bees as "instinctively wise." Tiny brains, yes, but they have a certain amount of pre-programming.

Air-conditioning, antifreeze, desalination, and sonar are all inventions already found first in the animal world (biomimetics).  Murmurating birds navigate by stars or the earth's magnetic field. The frail monarch butterfly flying only 7-11 mph manages to migrate 2,000 miles from Canada to Mexico.  ?Clearly, there is some sophisticated genetic programming in their modest little brains" - Canadian Geographic Magazine.

"Four things on earth are among the smallest,
But they are instinctively wise:
The ants are not strong creatures,
Yet they prepare their food in the summer.
The rock badgers are not mighty creatures,
Yet they make their house in the crags.
The locusts have no king,
Yet they all go forward in formation.
The gecko lizard clings with its feet,
And it goes into the palace of a king."
           - God, at Proverbs 30:24-28

But animals do not make moral choice (a dog chews shoes until trained not to do it).  They tend to be responsive, rather than consciously choosing kindness (treated kindly, they respond in a more docile way).  A human can be treated unkindly yet still choose to be be kind in return, and that is the power of moral choice.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 05:49:07 pm »
All I know is every morning when walking my dog a certain Sand Hill Crane calls out to me. He walks toward me. He engages me in conversation as I say God loves you, you?re beautiful. Etc.
He makes no other mention to others walking around - I firmly believe God sends messengers and I?m sad for those that move too fast in the day to day world not to slow down to hear or share this love with each other.
Then there?s the mourning my old dog had for 2 weeeks when my other dog died - who knows what they think? Packing our bags for a weekend trip sent him in a depression where he doesn?t eat for a few days. I sure appreciate the animals
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 08:02:06 pm »
saltybluegrass,

I too have seen instances such as these over and over in my life. It is easy the antropomorphize it as "thinking', but what ever is going on it causes one to wonder. :smile:
Neill

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 12:51:40 pm »
Nm
It?s up to me

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 12:58:58 pm »
saltybluegrass,

I too have seen instances such as these over and over in my life. It is easy the antropomorphize it as "thinking', but what ever is going on it causes one to wonder. :smile:

I?m going one further- several times I?ve enjoyed de ja vu. One was so rapid from a dream to the next day finding the same diamond ring in a driveway that aided feeding me when I pawned it . Why believe it?s just me? Why pretend animals aren?t our messengers too?
I was contemplating leaving my family during a mid life crisis when I noticed all 4 of my dogs were lying around the couch where I sat. Never had they been in that array. Now 5 years later, I?m raising bees in a beautiful Florida home.
Pay attention - signs are everywhere.
It?s up to me

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 01:58:38 pm »
Salty - there's some truth in what you say. I talk to animals all the time (domestic and wild), and there's no question (in my mind) that they understand me.

My chickens understand everything I say. My wife sees it too.

I talk to the deer on my property. I tell them "I'm not after you". They calm down, and I can walk within 10' of monster bucks while they are feeding. They don't even give me the time of day.

Conversely, when we go someplace (like Yellowstone) and wild animals are around, I stay in the car. As soon as I get out, all their heads come up, look at me, and their gone! ... they know an apex predator when they see one, every time. My wife thinks it funny to watch that happen.

And yes ... I have found that animals are messengers also. There's a lot to be learned from them if you listen. "Science" makes me laugh - at what they have no clue about.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 08:30:59 pm »
Google gorilla and kitty.

A female gorilla was taught simple sign language.  The gorilla was ask WHAT DO YOU WANT.
The female gorilla replied A PET KITTY.  The young female ape was given a kitty as a pet.

Google it, there are pictures.  I believe this was in the 1990?s, about that time frame.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline drobbins

• House Bee
    • bee pictures
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 09:46:01 pm »
I have a cockatoo and a macaw, I've had them nearly 30 years
They're clearly quite intelligent
They're in a cage in my basement where my shop is
When I'm down there working, I usually let them out to climb on the top of their cage
The first thing they do is go unlatch the doors to their water and food bowls, which can only be done from the outside
It's so they can escape later, sounds like planning to me
You can find numerous studies where they've looked at parrot intelligence

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 09:57:09 pm »
I met a beekeeper once that showed some signs of basic intelligence, but they were few and far between.   :shocked: :cheesy: :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 10:17:07 pm »
I met a beekeeper once that showed some signs of basic intelligence, but they were few and far between.   :shocked: :cheesy: :cheesy:

[Chuckles] Good one.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 11:34:08 pm »

I once knew a rabbit with a floppy ear named earl. I never heard the name of his other ear
It?s up to me

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 12:00:14 am »

I once knew a rabbit with a floppy ear named earl. I never heard the name of his other ear

Haha haha!  :cheesy:  Hey, salty, is the crane you mentioned earlier the crane in your profile picture? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 12:05:22 am »
No, it?s a google stock photo. I will take my phone for a walk with me and see if old ?Simon?  shows up for a photo shoot!
It?s up to me

anything