Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Salt and the Beehive 🐝  (Read 5802 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Salt and the Beehive 🐝
« on: March 22, 2019, 04:54:11 pm »
Anyone know what part salt plays in the life of a beehive? The importance? How the hive is benefited? Wax buildup ETC?  jtcmedic and I have slightly touched on this in the topic Splits.
Thanks, Phillip
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:03:34 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Salt and the Beehive 🐝
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 06:39:54 pm »
Mr. Ben, my bees certainly crave salt.  But I don?t know how much to use per gallon.  So I sprinkle salt on some rough rocks close to hives then wet it and let the bees decide.  Consider vitamin C also.

Feed stores sell small salt blocks for rabbits.  I have used these in the past but a critter comes in and the small salt block dissapears. I have used large mineral blocks in the past but the deer beat a path to it.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 06:43:26 pm »
Mr. Ben, my bees certainly crave salt.  But I don?t know how much to use per gallon.  So I sprinkle salt on some rough rocks close to hives then wet it and let the bees decide.  Consider vitamin C also.

Feed stores sell small salt blocks for rabbits.  I have used these in the past but a critter comes in and the small salt block dissapears. I have used large mineral blocks in the past but the deer beat a path to it.
Van

😁😁 Thanks Mr. Van.  Good clean country living! All the way to the beehive! Do you have good fishing in your area as well?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:19:41 pm »
Ben, I have rod bending stripers out my back door: bass, crappie, and I caught a 48 pound blue cat.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 11:23:34 pm »
Ben, I have rod bending stripers out my back door: bass, crappie, and I caught a 48 pound blue cat.

What a blessing!! You deserve it Mr Van. You have contributed so much to mankind! Enjoy my friend!!

Offline Live Oak

• House Bee
    • Tractor Farm and Family
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 02:43:55 pm »
I put out a couple of 40 lb. brown salt/mineral blocks for my bees.  They crave the salt water after a rain especially when they are raising brood. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 04:20:50 pm »
They also like to go to cow manure for the minerals when they cannot find it elsewhere.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 05:19:24 pm »
Jim
Cow manure can be a source of Vit B, do they go the manure when pollen is short?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 09:10:30 pm »
Not sure, I just have seen them in the soft stuff during the summer.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 12:33:57 am »
Quote from Jim
"Not sure, I just have seen them in the soft stuff during the summer.
Jim"

Well, since I'm around cows, and I love to eat honey, especially at breakfast on a fresh home made steaming hot biscuit, along with good fresh butter, eggs, boiled strawberries, bacon, country smoked ham, sweet milk gravy and all the extras, I hope I don't think of this conversation the next time I sit down and (attempt) to enjoy the mentioned!! Ha haa. 😊😁
Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 12:46:38 am »
I put out a couple of 40 lb. brown salt/mineral blocks for my bees.  They crave the salt water after a rain especially when they are raising brood.

Good for cows and horses, livestock. Mr Live Oak,  wonder if we were to place one of these in a inch or so of water in a tub, would that work out? I am thinking it would. Between what you already told me, Mr Van , and especially (oldbevo and Jim)!!!  Prehaps the added minerals would keep them out of the "soft stuff" and I could enjoy my breakfast once again!! Ha haa
Thanks all, 😁
Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
Re: Salt and the Beehive
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 12:59:29 am »
... I love to eat honey, especially at breakfast on a fresh home made steaming hot biscuit, along with good fresh butter, eggs, boiled strawberries, bacon, country smoked ham, sweet milk gravy and all the extras ...

Sheesh - I was about to go to bed. Now I'm hungry!!! Them's some good eats!!! Add some homemade Venison Italian sausage for perfection. Mmmm!
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 09:37:38 am »
Quote from Jim
"Not sure, I just have seen them in the soft stuff during the summer.
Jim"

Well, since I'm around cows, and I love to eat honey, especially at breakfast on a fresh home made steaming hot biscuit, along with good fresh butter, eggs, boiled strawberries, bacon, country smoked ham, sweet milk gravy and all the extras, I hope I don't think of this conversation the next time I sit down and (attempt) to enjoy the mentioned!! Ha haa. 😊😁
Phillip

All kidding aside on my part, I can honestly say that I have never seen bees on manure. Although I have seen different types of flys. Perhaps it's a lack of a certain type vitamin or mineral in your area?  Oldbeavo says manure is a source of vitamin B. There again, maybe they are desperate for salt? I have an update. Yesterday I went through my hives and for the second time added boxes and frames! They had already drawn out the ones I had added last week and was using as brood and storage. Very Happy! I will continue adding the "pinch of salt" to each quart of feed. Let me add to this reply, when I say added boxes and frames, I am doing so with the checker board method. They are booming! By the time the first flow gets here they should be so built up and strong becoming nectar gathering machines. However, I am not looking for honey this year, I need splits splits splits. Honey next year, is the goal.
Phillip

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 01:08:05 am »
Phillip - I did 3 splits today, and started feeding. Based on your post here, I added "a pinch of salt" to the sugar water. We will see. Can't hurt at worst, I'm thinking.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 07:53:24 am »
Phillip - I did 3 splits today, and started feeding. Based on your post here, I added "a pinch of salt" to the sugar water. We will see. Can't hurt at worst, I'm thinking.

Alan my bees are building comb at a tremendous rate. I don't know if it's partly because of the added salt or just coincidence oh the time of year. Ireguardless I am happy with the results.  jtcmedic Told of it in the topic splits.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2019, 05:49:34 pm »
Bee what oils are you adding?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 06:39:43 pm »
Bee what oils are you adding?

I am adding 1 tablespoon of Wintergreen, 1 tablespoon of Teatree oil, one tablespoon of Spearmint oil. Mix these with about a cup or so of water.  Blend the ingredients in a glass blender for no less than five minutes. As you know oil and water does not mix without help. When these ingredients have been mixed for five minutes add to a quart jar. Use another cup of so of water in your blender as a rinse  do this a couple of times, each time pouring the remains in your quart jar with the mixed oil. Top the jar off with water. I shake a few times by hand. Place in refrigerator. I put 1 tablespoon per each quart of sugar water along with a pinch of salt as originally suggested by you. I had no Nosema, coincident, I don't know. But expert bee breeders told me this. As I said earlier all seven of my late season Nucleus splits are booming!   They are building wax as if they were working at  a wax factory and earning top wages! ha ha !
Best of luck to you. Be sure you are using pure essential oil's, nothing artificial, only food grade.
Phillip Hall

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:46 am »
Ben where are you buying your oils

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 10:34:42 am »
Ben where are you buying your oils

At my local health food store. Remember, a little goes a long way.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2019, 10:42:47 pm »
They also like to go to cow manure for the minerals when they cannot find it elsewhere.
Jim

Jim maybe minerals yes, but I have reason to believe it is also nitrates they are after as I have seen bees on nitrate rich media , dirty Koa pond water, but this water was rather poor in minerals.  I know nothing about bee nutrition so consider I am guessing about nitrates.