Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: military surplus  (Read 8640 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
military surplus
« on: November 25, 2014, 02:16:04 pm »
who is into military surplus rifles?  i just bought a mosin nagant and a sporterized k 31.
i'm sure there are a lot of mosin owners but the swiss rifle is a little more obscure.  i think there was only 500k or so produced.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: military surplus
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 03:16:40 pm »
I love Swedish Mausers...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 03:35:32 pm »
I have several 303 British En fields, 2 Mosin's . an Argentine Mauser 7.65x53, 1891 Model. Several others. One 03A3 Remington not sportsrised.  I hand load for all I have and shoot them all. d2

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 04:52:04 pm »
i want a 6.5x55 mauser and an enfield.  i'd like to think that would be enough but i keep looking at a m95 and i'd like to find an m 44 mosin nagant............

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:51:19 pm »
44's are running between 2 and 3  hundred $. # 4 Enfields are running 3 to 5.

forgot, I have 2 of the Indian NATO 2A1"s. Shoots the 7.62 NATO rd./308. They were designed after the SMLE 303. But was built from the ground up in 1965 and the metal treatment was different from what they had around the turn of the century when the SMLE was made. I have a 1917 LSA SMLE, year before last a buck at 125 paces with iron sites. d2

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 05:55:33 pm »
I had a .303 at one time.  It was a nice gun.  Shot straight.  Hit hard.  Not very flat shooting and difficult/expensive to put a scope on...

Several of my 6.5s are Ackley Improved.  With a very slow powder and some handloading you can get amazing ballistics.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 06:19:08 pm »
I have three I would sale, but it will be hard to find anyone who will pay what I am asking. Although it is less than what I have seen advertised. d2

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »
don, even the plain old 91-30 mosins are going for 150-200 around here.  there was a time when you could get one for about 60 dollars at any gun shop.  there used to be a lot of mausers floating around the pawn shops in columbus for next to nothing too.  then again, i remember a '70 or '71 cuda being on a tote the note lot for about 2000.00 dollars and chevelles and early 60's impala supersports for 1000-1500. 

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 09:10:56 am »
Used to be you could bet a M93 Swedish Mauser for $40... now you can't hardly find one...  the good news is that the sporterized ones have stayed fairly cheap compared to the unmodified ones.  I'd much rather have a scope...
-------------------

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:44:52 am »
i can get sporterized mausers all day around here but not in 6.5x55.  i'm looking for a scout scope for the k 31 right now.  figure i'll buy the parts to take this gun back if i want or just buy another gun.  i want to do some deer hunting with it.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 09:06:59 pm »
I have a Kember with a Mauser action chambered for the 6.5 x 5 5. It is my favorite deer rifle. I have several other military rifles. Some I bought and have never fired. One being a British 303 from the Lithglow Arsenal. It came packed in cosmoline and appeared to be new.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 01:54:26 pm »
steve, how is the hunting over your way this year?  i took my second buck yesterday and it looks like the rut is over.  his  neck wasn't swollen and his glands weren't dark or smelly. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »
Rob,

I have 5 or 6 mosin's(mo-seen). One of them is a Finish M39 (A mosin captured by the Finnish and upgraded). Love those cannons. Be careful, they'll shoot through some thick wood. PM me (cause I'll forget I was on this thread) and I'll share some links on the mosin and ammo. Lately I've been able to buy a spam can (440 count) 7.62x54R and have it shipped to the house for $100-$120. Some gun shows will have the ammo cheap as well - less than $100 or 3x's the price. I usually look for the Alabama Ammo group, they will most likely be the least expensive.

Two things about the ammo you need to know. Number one is salt. The spam can is surplus Russian ammo. I've heard a couple of different takes to clean it. Remove wooden ware after firing and run hot water through it. And/or windex with ammonia.

The other thing is where the ammo came from. I can take two mosins shoot Russian ammo, then shoot Bulgarian ammo and one will shoot one higher than the other. Get two different rifles and the ammo that shot low in one will now be shooting high. If it shoots high fix the bayonet to it. That will usually bring it down a couple of inches at a hundred yards. Some folks will put something on the front sight to make it taller.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 07:47:20 pm »
I don't use surplus ammo. I can load my own for what I can get surplus. Much cleaner. I have loaded enough that I consider my outfit is paid for. d2

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 10:48:58 pm »
When we were in school we worked a farm in summer with an uncle that gave us as much surplus '06 as we could shoot. We had to give him the brass. He always said the primers were corrosive so we cleaned rifles every night.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 10:53:06 am »
i'm about to go get another k 31 and 300 rounds of gp-11 for 370.00.  i was going to quit deer hunting for the year but now i'll probably take a doe after christmas with one of these guns.

anything