Welcome, Guest

Poll

Would you support Beemaster Fundraising Teeshirts?

Yes, what took you so long
yes, I think it is a great way to contribute and get something in return
Yes, I'd enjoy wearing the shirt and giving the forum exposure
I really don't care for such things
Let's see what you have first, but generally speaking no!
I may not participate, but I think it is a good idea.
I think this is a commercial enterprise - shame on you.
Bad Beemaster, Bad!!!!
I really hope this happens, it sounds wonderful to me.
Isn't enough I spend all day on the forum, do I need to wear it too - lol.
Seriously, I think it is a wonderful and timely idea!
No doubt, I'd be in it for at least one shirt
I'm hoping for coffee mugs, hat and other collectables too.
How many questions you gonna ask - sheeeesh?

Author Topic: Would you support an official Beemaster Fundraising Teeshirt?  (Read 14913 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Would you support an official Beemaster Fundraising Teeshirt?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:33 am »
I will pay now as would others I am sure so you have some front money.  I too have a clothier called Great Falls Tent and Awning.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 09:24:29 am »
I'm curious if it ever got off the ground. With Beemaster on FB the potential to spread the word further and faster makes this an even better idea.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline DavidD

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 11:19:47 am »
 :shock: I can't  believe this didn't go some place. Are Beek's that cheap? :(

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 07:50:28 pm »
Don't blame anyone else - this post was started a lifetime ago in the printing and personalized world, an era when you needed to buy a ton of shirts (for example) in many sizes and hope your inventory sold. Times have obviously gotten better and over the next several weeks I hope to get the ball rolling during my recovery from knee surgery - coming up next Thursday.

I have a www.zazzle.com account and had several items made for me and others as retirement gifts, etc.. They do very nice work and to offer several designs which members can pick and choose for various items is very easy to set up there.

As always, all these online companies sell items at what I believe is an inflated rate if the designer is to see any profit for causes. Zazzle lets people with products choose their own mark-up levels, which is ideal for many reasons: the one that comes to mind is if a charity has a set goal with a given amount of expected members contributing - they can easily up their profit to see that a charity reaches its goal and the buyers understand they are paying a higher price for a goal oriented cause, often a tax write-off thing.

We are not in that boat obviously, our only goal would be to offer members items that they would enjoy having because the forum means something to them and with the hope that any markup to help cover forum expenses does not make the item(s) out of the reach of the member's wallet.

I'm a realist. Beemaster is a wonderful place to be a part of, from any level membership we have really tried to always make this feel like a second home on the Internet for everyone. Our costs have gone up recently and several members have yet again stepped up and donated toward our costs. To all of you, thank you again.

RECENTLY, and this is the first public mention - we've added the ability to donate using credit, debit or gift cards, still using Paypal's system, but with the expanded features of accepting credit cards. This has been asked for many times because obviously not everyone uses Paypal - and the credit card section opens the window for practically any to help if they want. The donate button at the top right of each page will lead you to the newest donation options. The content written on the donation page needs updating, I have rewritten it and will be updating it soon, but the link itself takes you to an improved options page. Please note: if you have interest in donating via credit card, the link is where they credit card images are on the page. Paypal still likes you to use their service and opts to make the page PayPal heavy, opting to place credit card options in smaller fonts.

Didn't mean to get so long with this: old habits I guess. But if you are still with me, what kind of things would you like to see Beemaster on? From hats to shirts to really nice coffe mugs (I have quite  few of those) please check out www.zazzle.com and see the items they sell there, it is a huge selection.

The last big issue is design art. Our logo, designed by Robo is very nice and instantly recognized by those who follow the forum - that obvious is a given. But having a simple logo on a shirt pocket or logo with Beemaster.com or a catch phrase like "Where Beekeepers raise beekeepers" or whatever is quite possible even for a single item today.

Thanks for bringing this post back, sorry it took me awhile to reply - but this isn't about making a ton of money, our bills get paid and I hope with very little begging on my part - I have always promised that if no donations came in, Beemaster is important enough to keep going out of pocket - and I still truly mean that. Personalized items is more about members wanting something to show their pride in helping build our community and something quality that will last a very very long time.

Thank you all and let's get this rolling with ideas. I'd love you artistic type to offer up some designs of your own, Zazzle does all full color stuff and any quality higher res image with text prints very well. I'll dig up the few items I have had done to show you - the weren't beemaster stuff, although I have 2 Beemaster.com coffee mugs bought many years ago from someone else and they hold up terrific. Thanks again.

Note: on the photos of the mugs below, my camera did NOT do justice to the image on the mugs. The mugs are really beautiful, but the poor camera quality and the glossiness of the mug made for terrible images. These images by the way are where I work and what I do - I make the steam that launches Strike Force F-18s and F-35s primarily. The mug artwork with all the names was a retirement gift to a coworker who really loved by the crew - we went all out for him, something I don't see happening again in my 6 or so remaining years there. But it is a cool job and a heck of a way for a civilian to serve his country. BTW this is a Navy Released Photo, I didn't take the photo, just borrowed it :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 10:42:43 pm »
Here's what I'm thinking. Simple and sweet.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/55633188198/
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline DavidD

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 01:27:13 pm »
Thanks for the update I will check that out

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »
Looking forward to see what the T shirts look like.
I cannot see the Facebook page, no access.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 03:25:40 pm »
If you have facebook just go look on the Beemaster page. If not, maybe a moderator could move the pix here?
My idea was a plain Tshirt with the logo on left chest and full width back.

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 11:51:25 pm »
I've taken the liberty to talk to a local business about creating a basic T-shirt(any color) with the 3 color logo front and back($14). If we use 1 color for logo($10). If I should stop meddling just tell me....
I'm willing to do all the work(take orders,sizes,pick-up,ship and deposit the money via paypal at the end). I think the $10 shirt sold for $20+shipping isn't a bad deal.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 07:32:23 am »
Hjon,
I would not proceed with Tshirt sales with Beemaster logos without prior approval from John(Beemaster).

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2014, 05:05:24 pm »
Thanks for checking with a printer, it's good to get ideas of other services.

I'll be out of work for about 3 weeks starting tomorrow when I have knee surgery. I really like the idea of our logo that Robo created (thus his property I believe) so I need to ask him for the use and hopefully he has a HD version of it to work with.

I'm pretty good at working with Photoshop like programs - and want to whip up several designs to run past members. Find out which they like on what items, shirts, haps, mugs (and I've always dreamed of a Beemaster Calendar) although many of the online stores have had a single image with tear off monthly calendars, thus you see the same image all year.

I wouldn't want that, I would like a calendar with each month having a photo that is SEASONAL to that month, Spring blossoms and feeding hives, Summer extraction of honey, Splitting, Fall preparations for Winter and of course images of hives buttoned up for the Winter. All kinds of great images here and (yes - ugh) Facebook to fill a thousand calendars.

That is a bit more complex to do, getting permission is a priority on that one. Just cause someone posts an image in either forum is NOT the same as Beemaster using it as a fund raiser.

But ideally I (we) need to stay out of the printing end and keep to the artwork end: allowing members to choose which artwork(s) they want on what items. Shirts are tricky because of sizes and color choices - the combinations are seemingly endless and very personal to the member. So online ordering directly from a manufacturer is what members would obviously choose. They go to a site, pick a item, size and logo and in days their very personalized item arrives and Beemaster's profit margin is automatically fed into the donation fund account.

I have 3 Beemaster Mugs, a dozen of the same tee-shirt and an embroidered hat - they are very cool, but made from an admin prospective, not a member. One says "Beemaster.com" visionary and founder - a quote and endearing statement from PDMattox (aka Dallas) who even said that while I was shooting down a swarm out of a tree at Bud6. Dallas can be heard on JP's video as I stood there with about 20 people watching as I shot Bud's 22. You could hear Dallas in the background yelling (as I shot a gun the first time at a 45 degree angle "No pressure... Visionary and founder shooting!" not everyone there got the pun, but it made me smile.

So thanks HJon, but for the offer and the quote, but I need to get active in this using the exstablished account to see if prices are within range of keeping it affordable to member and at the same time, to make sure that the manufacturer isn't getting all the money. They allow you to mark up an item either by a fixed dollar amount or a percentage of the cost. Either way, the printer company makes the most money - they always make out.

And I know that with fund raiser type items, people understand that the cost will be more than a stock item, but they also realize that I want them to get a quality item that they will gladly use or display and at a price that they know helps the forum but doesn't break the bank.

I know coffee mugs (both 12oz and 16oz) are around $12 - with no donation added, so a 20% donation added in the cost brings the cost $14.40. Now add shipping and we're talking $20. That isn't too crazy for a quality mug that will last a lifetime and know that you helped the forum. But in the same respect, I know we have members that would love said coffee mug but may not want to donate the extra $2.40 to the forum. I feel mixed on not having that option available, because if members like the forum enough to pay the prices for a forum related item, shouldn't be out of reach because of their unique money situation.

It's all a bit tricky and I'm probably "mountaining a mole hill" but I understand times are tough for soooo many people - it's heartbreaking to know how tough it is for so many. I have met several members who I know aren't squeezing by, milk and bread are in the same hat they draw from as the electric bill. I grew up poor, and with a severely handicapped brother kept my dad working 2 jobs and hustling to find even more work. As a kid I didn't really know how rough it was, but looking back I surely know how tough my parents had it.

I'm way off topic - that never happens (Kathy) does it - lol. If we need help as we get this going I promise to get in touch - thanks. I really would like to see even hand drawn logos captured with a camera and posted. There are so many beautifully captured images today, smart phones with incredible resolution makes everyone a photographer today. Thanks again.

John

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2014, 05:12:04 pm »
""Just cause someone posts an image in either forum is NOT the same as Beemaster using it as a fund raiser.""

It would be no problem if they were taken from a thread specifically asking for bee pics for the beemaster calendar. I'm sure you would get many good replies.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2014, 05:18:03 pm »
> I would like a calendar with each month having a photo that is SEASONAL to that month, Spring blossoms and feeding hives, Summer extraction of honey, Splitting, Fall preparations for Winter and of course images of hives buttoned up for the Winter

For Nebraska that means some spring photos in April, May and June, some summer photos for July and August and then 7 photos of winter with no bees flying...  well maybe one in there somewhere for a cleansing flight?
 ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2014, 05:24:19 pm »
Sorry if I have crossed a line. Really just trying to help. If I can be of service, let me know.  

anything