Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: European wasps  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
European wasps
« on: February 21, 2016, 05:26:17 am »
Any one else have issues with them?

Any hints or tricks about effective control? Sadly where i live the location of their nest could be anywhere and probably not my land.

Cheers

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
Re: European wasps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 07:32:15 am »
They tend to only fly short distance from their nest (say 50 m ish). Try to bee line them back to the nest and pour petrol into it. No don't light it!!
Even if it's not your property your neighbours may be keen for you to destroy them anyway.  I've got to beeline some at home this week, their getting into the honey she'd. They can fit into gaps that bees can't.
Easy to sneak up behind a wasp and squash it. They move slow when it's cold too. Give it a good squeeze before it turns around on your finger, but I'm sure you'll figure that out yourself pretty quickly.  Enjoy. I'll let you know if I find my nest. Good luck.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:24:44 pm »
    Having our quietest time in Gippsland for a long time. Found 4 nests within 100 metres of the house last year which I destroyed so things have been good so far. Have not put out any bait traps yet and the only wasp I caught was hosed down on a fence and squashed.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:20:17 pm »
Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

What baits do you use Geoff ?

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:51 pm »
    Sugared water, fruit juice and sometimes a bit of meat. My sound tempting for bees but as yet have not noticed any in the traps.
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline Flycaster

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 08:39:11 pm »
Cheers

anything