Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dealing with chalkbrood  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
Dealing with chalkbrood
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:19:02 pm »
Hi does everyone get chalkbrood and if so how do you control it?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline CB

• New Bee
Re: Dealing with chalkbrood
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 02:15:10 am »
I had it badly last year, so I fed sugar water and bleach. This year the affected hives are thriving and I have not seen any.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:06:11 am »
Sugar water and Bleach whats the recipe

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 06:38:03 am »
Bleach? Wouldn't that kill the bees?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:52 am »
The main cause is chilled brood.

https://www.spc.int/lrd/ext/Disease_Manual_Final/chalkbrood.html

The main solution is to either ignore it, and it will go away, or requeen.  You may also want to look into more upward ventilation to lose some moisture which contributes as well or move them into the sun if they aren't in the sun.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#chalkbrood
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CB

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 07:28:01 am »
Bleach? Wouldn't that kill the bees?

Bleach content is minimal, 1kg sugar, 1l water, 4ml bleach. I can't say what impact it had, only that in my case it appeared to reduce the chalkbrood. I imagine that the feeding of syrup alone may have given the hives a leg up. I did not feed before and have not fed since.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 11:48:25 am »
I had an awful problem with it for a couple of years.  So bad, I lost a couple of hives.  I tried all kinds of things, requeening, ventilating, etc.  but finally found a post somewhere about raising the temp in the hive.  I had been trying to get air flow, but the post said to leave the lid down in the heat and let the temp in the hive get as high as the bees will let it get.

Did it.  don't know if that was the cure, but I have not had chalk brood again in years.  so...if all else fails....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 02:44:28 am »
Micheal bush until this season I would have agreed with you 100%, but this year chalk has been very prolific and very persistent in south eastern australia.
In the past I would have said that chalk is a result of bad beekeeping decisions or poor conditions ( which results in to poor decisions as lack of choices. )
It's quite bewildering when it turns up in hives on great nectar flows with high protein pollen,  situated in full sun with temperature upto 40?c. I could theorize for pages as to the reason, we are working on a cure that is an all natural product. It s just hard to confirm results as it can just fade away too. I'll get back to this post soon. Good luck with it out there.

Offline Sydney guy

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 06:46:52 am »
Its funny this week i was very worried about the chalkbrood and today on inspection there wasnt many at all. The bees over the past week have cleaned the hive so well. This is a pic at the front of the hive during the week.

Offline PhilK

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:24 am »
I've seen a few recently but it's because I moved a few brood frames I'm cycling out up into the super and I think they got chilled. Mostly drones I think