Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Aussie Removal Stories  (Read 81428 times)

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Re: Aussie Removal Stories
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2017, 10:12:30 pm »
It's a second hand story, but Dad said one of his hives swarmed and landed on the end of a bamboo stalk, about 8m up.
He managed to get it back in a box by putting a ladder up as high as he could, attached a rope and then put the rope through a pulley on another stalk near by.
He then cut the stalk half way through from the back and lowered it with the rope to 6' and shook them into a box.
Fairly easy recovery after what initially would of looked near impossible.
Regards Kel

He's done it before... nice to see a pro work :-)

Bill

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2018, 06:32:31 am »
I gave my number to the local counsel to call me whenever they get notified of a swarm to remove. It's been years and they never once contacted me. Also tried community bulletin boards but nothing. I however get a number of calls via Gumtree.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:30 am »
I gave my number to the local counsel(sic) to call me whenever they get notified of a swarm to remove. It's been years and they never once contacted me. Also tried community bulletin boards but nothing. I however get a number of calls via Gumtree.
The two pest controllers covering our district, the rural fire service, the
shire council, notices in both garden centres I do tutes for, and of course
the local pub. I am overun with demand between August and October, most
of which I pass to interested former 'students' these days.

Bill

Offline Ralphee

• House Bee
  • All the Gear, and no idea!
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2020, 02:09:58 am »
Okay, its a 'hard pass' story, but i bet a lot of people have had something similar!

I got a message through a popular website that someone had a 'swarm' to relocate. Couple short messages back and forward and i got to the truth of it - its a hive that has been in the roof for almost 2 years, tin roof (so no easy access) and the *expert that came to price it up* said they would have to cut a hole through the ceiling and take them out through the house!
And this lady was asking for someone to come take them for free!
Now i am happy to help and happy to collect a swarm, but the $600-$700 she was quoted sounds about right. Re-plaster a ceiling and at least a days work. Imagine how big the hive could be in the ceiling space, and you would have to get all of it out or it would attract new bee's shortly after.

We are still in full lock-down or i would at least go have a look for her, but shy of ripping up sheets of tin, i don't see any easy way of removing a 'swarm that has been there for almost 2 years'!

anything