Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Important Honey Bee, Coffee, and Hawaii  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
The Important Honey Bee, Coffee, and Hawaii
« on: October 15, 2021, 09:39:53 pm »
Malia Libby Save the Bees, Associate
9/23/2020

Having grown up in Hawai?i, I take pride in the fact that we are home to world-famous Kona coffee. Our own rich volcanic soil and trademark tropical weather are arguably the best things to have happened to the mighty coffee bean.

But there?s another equally important ingredient to this magical elixir?bees. With visits from these helpful pollinators, coffee yields can increase by more than 50 percent. Coffee, like many other crops grown in the U.S., from avocado to cucumbers to alfalfa (used to feed livestock), owes a lot to the perennially hardworking bee.

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: The Important Honey Bee, Coffee, and Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 12:01:41 am »
Oldbeavo, you are one of the beekeepers I thought of concerning the pollination part. Do you pollinate coffee in Australia? (I don't even know if coffee is a crop in Australia) ??
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 01:35:19 am »
Hi Ben,

There are coffee plantations up my way. Tropics with altitude.
I went on a tour of one plantation and they didnt use bees....maybe I should approach them, they r only a few kms away.

But..is coffee honey any good?

If it's anything like the coffee bean pulp (fruit) then I'm guessing yes! The fruit is very sweet.

Hopefully someone knows.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 10:49:10 am »
Bee North, I did a quick search and found some interesting stuff. One example I will post below shortly.

The non use of Honey Bees on the coffee plantation you posted of, along with the information we are discussing, may open a whole new world for you and your country if other coffee plantations do not use honey bees as pollinators. This information may benefit both you and the plantations.

For you the service payment of pollination from your bees, plus the honey.  The coffee plantations, an up-spiral of coffee bean production by a huge margin of 50 percent! Keep in mind, this is theoretical. You and I are just scratching the surface from what little information we have gained, but this subject may show promising results if this has not been looked into in your country,

Phillip

Coffee >This exotic honey made from coffee blossom may not be made locally where you live, but it?s worth finding. The color is dark and the flavor rich and deep.

Gardening Know How: Honey From Different Flowers ? How Do Flowers Affect Honey Flavor https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/honey-from-different-flowers.htm
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 11:01:47 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 04:46:44 pm »
Thanks Ben
Very interesting! I will have to drop in and have a chat with them.
We do a lot of pollination up our way especially for avocados and blueberries. They may have pollinators come un when the trees flower but their were definitely no bees there permanently. With my work commitments I am only able to set up permanent sites. I will definitely look into this...I want to try coffee honey now!!
Cheers Ben I will let you know.
Adam.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 06:01:39 pm »
Hi Ben
We are too far south for coffee
Our pollination is almonds, cherries and apples and pears. We have also done lucerne (alfalfa) for seed production. Also canola for seed production but it is same time as Cherries.
If you can double pollinate EG. almonds followed by cherries or canola you can get about 40% of your income in 8-10 weeks, and before main honey flows.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 09:42:31 pm »
Very informative, learn something new every day.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great