Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Marking  (Read 5368 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Queen Marking
« on: August 17, 2021, 01:55:15 pm »
For those of you who mark your queens, how long can you depend on your paint staying on? Another question that goes hand and hand is, What is your source of paint brand and or type used?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: Queen Marking
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 02:11:54 pm »
I buy Testors Enamel in the small bottles from Hobby Lobby.  The mark will last the life of the queen in most colonies.  Some colonies will remove some of the paint, but enough will remain to show she was marked.  If they do remove most of the paint I know it is the same queen by her clipped wings.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 06:36:13 pm »
Tosca pens work fairly well. Like AR says, if the bees do clean some off there is usually enough left to see the queen was marked.
We don't stick to the official year colors and rotate between pink and a light blue. Easiest colors to see in the hive.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 07:00:10 pm »
i think it somewhat depends on how hygienic your bee strain is. i have not found the acrylic marking pens to be dependable. plan to go back to testors paints which has stood the test of time

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:30:51 pm »
Thanks all.

AR I have not used the queen clipping method. This is something I will definitely consider.. One thing is for sure, their will be not doubt as to the queen expected in the case all paint was removed.. Thanks..
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 01:43:54 pm »
I use the tester marking pens when I mark queens. They are easy to use and store in a bag with the queen catchers and the one hand queen markers.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Queen Marking
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 08:15:46 pm »
Acrylic paint pen. Lasts the life of the typical queen, 3 seasons. Stick her in a cage for a couple minutes to let the paint mostly dry before putting her back.  Else the bees just lick the wet/gummy paint off.
Also, if your fingertips have propolis or wax or honey on them when you pick her up, those can transfer onto her and obviously then the paint will not stick for long.
As with any good paint job, surface prep is critical.  Ensure a clean dry thorax and good warm/dry conditions for the paint to dry ;)
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2021, 08:55:19 pm »
"Stick her in a cage for a couple minutes to let the paint mostly dry before putting her back."

Mr HoneyPump this may be where I messed up. Not giving the paint enough time to thoroughly dry. I should have known better..

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2021, 11:13:42 pm »
I really like the Molotow acrylic paint pens but currently I have Uni Posca paint pens that work good too.  I use the blue one handed queen catcher not the yellow one, there is a difference.  The blue one just seems easier to use and works better.  You just leave the queen in the catcher for a few minutes to let the paint dry.  Sometimes the paints chips a bit over a year or two but it never completely wears off.   
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 12:11:46 am »
Lol, HoneyPump.
Your surface prep comment made me think... we should first apply a good quality primer, then two applications of enamel, followed by a clear coat of acrylic.  :wink:
On the serious side, my white marker is acting up, perhaps because of summer heat and winter cold in my shed. I just bought a new set of paint pens.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2021, 10:02:55 pm »
I don't mark queens,  but I hear some people round here use white-out.  Every 6 years it's the correct color!

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 07:28:29 pm »
FG
If the queen is where she should be, center of the frame, middle couple of frames, then unmarked is fine. But when she is not, bottom or side of box, ducking around the bottom of the frame then marking saves a lot of time. Dark Caucasian bees and dark queens to us are hard to find, marking helps, fluro pimk is good.
Also helps in aging queens and also with supersedures.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 09:01:29 pm »
>For those of you who mark your queens, how long can you depend on your paint staying on?

You can't.  Enamel pens last longer than the acrylic.  Some bees are very determined to remove it.  Some don't bother.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bill Murray

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 01:47:17 pm »
When I mark, I use the tester enamel hobby paint. Lasts till the queen swarms or is replaced then you have to remark.

Offline csull72

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2021, 11:16:23 pm »
Since I switched to hygienic stock I?ve given up on marking queens, it never stays on more than a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2021, 11:28:54 pm »
csull72 welcome to beemaster and thanks for your reply..

Offline csull72

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2021, 11:35:28 pm »
Thank you!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2021, 11:57:58 pm »
Thank you!

Your welcome! Looking forward to more post from you, sharing your ideas, questions, and suggestions!!

Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 10:53:52 am »
Csull ,
Welcome to Beemaster.
Jim Altmiller
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 06:53:24 pm by BeeMaster2 »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin