BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Selling a nuc.

(1/7) > >>

Bob Wilson:
Which is better to buy, which is to say, which is better for me to sell...
1. A 5 frame nuc with queen bred in the early spring before honey flow. (A month old)
2. A 5 frame nuc with a queen from the previous spring, come through the winter. (A year old)

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bob Wilson on June 26, 2021, 12:19:37 am ---Which is better to buy, which is to say, which is better for me to sell...
1. A 5 frame nuc with queen bred in the early spring before honey flow. (A month old)
2. A 5 frame nuc with a queen from the previous spring, come through the winter. (A year old)

--- End quote ---

Hopefully both the one year, and the one month queen are both good layers. If not neither you nor the customer needs one that isn't. Other than that, a one year well mated producing queen producing gentle hygienic stock should be ok for sale. The one month queen most likely has only been laying for three weeks or less. How is she doing? Does she lay nice patterns? One thing is for sure in my opinion, the customer is depending on you for a good solid proven queen....  I have confidence that you already know this and have every intention of good things for your customer/friend. Congratulations on the sale.

.30WCF:
I?m not sure it would matter. At least around here, nucs can be hard to find. Wouldn?t most bee keepers have the ability to make their own, and the first time keeper be happy to just get their hands on one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaGardener:
Selling to a new beekeeper is a lot of fun.  Be prepared to spend an average of at least 2 hours answering questions, helping them understand hive components, and putting the bees into their hive.  Even when you give them a checklist, sometimes they don't even bring a ratchet strap and entrance closer.  Often that is 3-4 hours of time for a sale.

Verrrrrry rarely does someone just show up with an appointment [on time], pay $20 extra for a 3/4" plywood 5 frame hive w/ hive block+landing board to carry them, and take them away. 

.30WCF:
Let me modify my response some. To answer the specific question, in my opinion, the new queen would be easier to reason with someone that they can get more time out of vs having a proven queen that will need to be replaced sooner. I guess if I were buying one today, I?d rather have the younger queen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version