Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shopping Around for a Venilated Suit  (Read 3963 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Shopping Around for a Venilated Suit
« on: May 05, 2021, 11:24:01 am »
I'm looking to get a ventilated suit for my birthday.  I've been doing a little bit of shopping around already, but I wanted to get your opinions on what's a good one for the price.  Everyone always recommends Ultra Breeze, but they are quite pricey.  What makes them better than another brand?  What kinds of things should I look for in a ventilated suit, and what should I avoid?       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Shopping Around for a Venilated Suit
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:46:06 am »
Hi Member, when I first started I bought a complete suit (cotton). Just too hot.  I used it once and sidelined it. I went for the Mann lake ventilated bee jacket and love it though I rarely use that either. A veil at the most and some days not that. lol.
So if you get the completed suit route, be sure and go ventilated is my recommendation.   
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 12:32:21 pm »
Hi Member, when I first started I bought a complete suit (cotton). Just too hot.  I used it once and sidelined it. I went for the Mann lake ventilated bee jacket and love it though I rarely use that either. A veil at the most and some days not that. lol.
So if you get the completed suit route, be sure and go ventilated is my recommendation.   
I have a cotton suit already, well actually it's not a bee suit, it's just a pair of normal cotton coveralls.  I've been happy with them, but I've gotten to where I have too many hives to just work in the morning, and I need something cooler.  I am pretty set on a full suit, I just feel more comfortable fully covered, plus I can wear just short gym shorts and an exercise bra under it, and be cooler than if I wear a jacket and jeans. 

I see that Ultra Breeze has a lifetime guarantee thing where if the suit tears you can send it in for repairs.  Is that something a ventilated suit is more at risk for than a solid suit?  Has anyone found that service worth the extra price of their suits?       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 01:10:12 pm »

I have a cotton suit already, well actually it's not a bee suit, it's just a pair of normal cotton coveralls.  I've been happy with them, but I've gotten to where I have too many hives to just work in the morning, and I need something cooler.  I am pretty set on a full suit, I just feel more comfortable fully covered, plus I can wear just short gym shorts and an exercise bra under it, and be cooler than if I wear a jacket and jeans. 

I see that Ultra Breeze has a lifetime guarantee thing where if the suit tears you can send it in for repairs.  Is that something a ventilated suit is more at risk for than a solid suit?  Has anyone found that service worth the extra price of their suits?     

Member I am rough on my equipment. I have had no problem with rips or tares. I bought the cheapest ventilated jacket that Mann Lake offered at the time. It doesn't even have a fancy emblem on the front pocket! lol.   Last time I checked, they offered the complete suit in the same design. Sometimes when its really hot and the bees may be having a semi-testy day, I will use my jacket as you, no shirt. Works so much better for ventilation for sure. I am not trying to suggest you get the same suit as my jacket design, I am telling you I am very happy with it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 01:30:34 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 01:29:10 pm »
I'm using  Ultra Breeze suites I have a sull suit and a Jacket half suit. Glad I made the decision to go,  even though it has a premium price. The suits are tough as nails and have lasted a loge time. The only problem I had was with a zipper giving out, but that was my fault as I did not lubricate it. I called  Ultra Breeze to see if I could get a replacement zipper and they sent me a full set of zippers at no charge. Have never been stung through the Ultra Breeze, 90% of the time ill use the jacket over the full suit.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 03:51:37 pm »
Member,
I also have a Mann Lake ventilated suit, actually 2 I bought a second one for my wife, Judy. I have never been stung through it and it has held up well. The only problem we have had is the elastic around the waste and wrists needed to be replaced. My suit is ten years old and Judy?s is 8 years old. Face nets are in good condition.
I would buy them again if needed.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 10:49:59 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys!  I'm not really hearing anything that is selling me on the Ultra Breeze.  Betterbee has a new ventilated suit from Lyson for like $130 that I might try.  I'm also going to see what's in stock locally, that way I can try on for sizing and not have to pay for shipping. 

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 12:01:37 pm »
I have two Forest Beekeeping Ventilated Jackets and love them.  I acquired them on Amazon for $99 (same price on their website).  The version I have the 3-layered model (it's their top of the line version), good ventilation considering and heavy duty brass zippers. Never been stung through it (I wish I could say the same of my gloves and jeans, lol) and I have nothing ill to say of it.  I have abused it in many removals and find it to be of great quality.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 09:39:56 am »
I was glad initially to have a new ventilated suit, but after a few wears, I found it wears me down. It weighs a lot more than a cotton suit.
I went back to my simple cotton suit and make sure I walk through a sprinkler on hot days. I?m in Australia.
I ditched the ventilated ones. Visitors appreciate them.
For me they are too heavy wearing me down on a hot day working the hives.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 10:45:18 am »
I have two Forest Beekeeping Ventilated Jackets and love them.  I acquired them on Amazon for $99 (same price on their website).  The version I have the 3-layered model (it's their top of the line version), good ventilation considering and heavy duty brass zippers. Never been stung through it (I wish I could say the same of my gloves and jeans, lol) and I have nothing ill to say of it.  I have abused it in many removals and find it to be of great quality.
Thanks, Matt, I'll check those out.

I was glad initially to have a new ventilated suit, but after a few wears, I found it wears me down. It weighs a lot more than a cotton suit.
I went back to my simple cotton suit and make sure I walk through a sprinkler on hot days. I?m in Australia.
That's interesting.  I guess these suits do have 3 times the fabric that a solid suit does.  I'll keep that in mind if I have the opportunity to try one on. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 11:04:27 am »

That?s why I wear only a veil or nothing, unless the bees may be having an off day. Then it?s the vented jacket. (It is heavy but comfortable, especially shirtless). The jacket stops the stings. Without it I may take a sting now and then but we are dealing with bees 🐝  lol 😊.  But if stings really stand out in a persons mind, vented is the way to go in my opinion. A fan really make the experience that much more pleasant. I like the lite duty wind machine that features three speed and adjustable angles. Can be run from the truck battery with an inverter if electricity is not close by.

I suppose stings come with being a beekeeper and I accepted this when I made my mind up to keep bees. I had an unfair advantage in developing this attitude by watching JP and Schawee doing cutouts, conditioned my attitude on JPs YouTube channel. 😊

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 11:17:41 am »
That?s why I wear only a veil or nothing, unless the bees may be having an off day. Then it?s the vented jacket. (It is heavy but comfortable, especially shirtless). The jacket stops the stings. Without it I may take a sting now and then but we are dealing with bees 🐝  lol 😊.  But if stings really stand out in a persons mind, vented is the way to go in my opinion. A fan really make the experience that much more pleasant. I like the lite duty wind machine that features three speed and adjustable angles. Can be run from the truck battery with an inverter if electricity is not close by.

I suppose stings come with being a beekeeper and I accepted this when I made my mind up to keep bees. I had an unfair advantage in developing this attitude by watching JP and Schawee doing cutouts, conditioned my attitude on JPs YouTube channel. 😊
I wish I felt more comfortable without a full suit, but I get such bad reactions from stings that it's hard to not be nervous that I'll get stung.  I also for some reason get stung on my legs just as often as anywhere else, so a jacket just wouldn't help enough unfortunately.   

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 11:23:02 am »
> I wish I felt more comfortable without a full suit, but I get such bad reactions from stings that it's hard to not be nervous that I'll get stung.  I also for some reason get stung on my legs just as often as anywhere else, so a jacket just wouldn't help enough unfortunately. 

By all means in your case get the vented full suit. You have to be able to enjoy your beekeeping. Doing if comfortably is key. Just remember the fan, shorts, and no shirt and you will thank me later. 😊 so cool and comfortable even on those hot dog days of August.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 11:40:43 am »
I watched a documentary of killers bees and a team who removed them in Arizona a few years ago. They used full vented suits and the only stings they would mention was on the tip of the nose. That if when they pushed their face forward with a screen full of angry mean bees. Other than that I do not recall them complaining of any other stings. Member, a full vented suit should make your bees seem like stingless bees? Good luck. 🍀 let us know how this works out for you.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 12:35:44 pm »
By all means in your case get the vented full suit. You have to be able to enjoy your beekeeping. Doing if comfortably is key. Just remember the fan, shorts, and no shirt and you will thank me later. 😊 so cool and comfortable even on those hot dog days of August.
I'll certainly do all that, just under the bee suit.  :wink:  :grin:  I'll probably skip the fan too.  I hate it when wind makes it hard to direct my smoke!  :cheesy:

I watched a documentary of killers bees and a team who removed them in Arizona a few years ago. They used full vented suits and the only stings they would mention was on the tip of the nose. That if when they pushed their face forward with a screen full of angry mean bees. Other than that I do not recall them complaining of any other stings. Member, a full vented suit should make your bees seem like stingless bees? Good luck. 🍀 let us know how this works out for you.
Oh, that's so scary!  I hope I never encounter any bees like that!  I'll let you guys know what I decide on, and how it works out for me.   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 12:55:00 pm by The15thMember »

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 07:40:30 pm »
This is a good topic. I've been thinking of getting a full suit. Right now I just have the Mannlake (cheapest) jacket(s).

By my notes, on April 15th, I got into a mean hive. Had stingers over every square inch of my jeans and jacket. Went inside, changed cloths and jackets. Went back out to finish the job. The bees clouded me - stinging instantly. This was from a swarm that moved into an empty box in February. I'm guessing they had a high percentage of Africanized genetics.

Would be nice to have a full suit for situations like that. I usually work in shorts - but I already knew this hive was mean.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 08:15:21 pm »
Wow they were mean!  I hope you pulled wicked witch queen Wandas head off lol. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 08:23:51 pm »
Cool I suppose it is just a matter of time when we all may possibly have this situation to deal with. From some of the post lately, and some articles I have read, leads me to believe a full suit will be a part of our gear if so. That or give up beekeeping.....  I read an article today which stated Genetically Modified mosquitoes were released today in the Florida keys. No telling how that will end up....

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 12:00:30 pm »
I found a great deal from Lappe's Bee Supply in Iowa.  They had a full vented suit on sale for $115 + tax, so I ordered one from them.  :smile: 

Offline Pazuzu

• New Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 08:49:24 pm »
I found it wears me down. It weighs a lot more than a cotton suit..

Was that a particular brand that?s abnormally heavy? Mine is made in Pakistan, quite heavy duty and although bulkier that a cotton suit I find it a lot more comfortable on those very hot days. I just put a wet towel around my neck and don?t even notice I?m wearing a suit. I usually spend an hour or so inspecting.

anything