MEMBER & GUEST INTERACTION SECTION > DARK SIDE OF THE MOON

6 billion light year old radio signal heard - designed for Earth's listening

<< < (2/6) > >>

BeeMaster2:
Does not matter how far they travel, if they are transmitted at even intervals they will be received at even intervals. They maybe compressed (shortened) or stretched (expanded) due to the relative speed between us and them, depending on whether we are moving towards them or away from them but the spacing will remain the same especially considering the short length of time they were received.
Jim

Michael Bush:
>how was it to remain evenly spaced traveling all those light years away?

They would all be traveling the same speed, 186,272 miles per second.  It's not just a good idea.  It's the law.

beemaster:
Laws are mean to be broken, especially if it is our law and not theirs. My whole point, isn't the distance and knowing what a SECOND is here (well not alone) but those two things are remarkable - as Michael says, they'd need to know something about us, so...

I go by the theory that something that far away is how long at light speed it would take to get there to here, here to there: but what if the signal was sent like an email or text, instantly, through means of warping time a civilization that far away, but alive and well and WATCHING US planned out the alignment issues and sent a signal instantly. We can say lightspeed is a law all we want, but man couldn't fly either, and forget about getting to the moon (both explainable through laws as we understand them and technology at least advanced to make the trips and back) but we can't instantly go from the US to Australia, but with phones, computers, etc we are there in all but body.

Michael, I wonder, do you doubt there will ever be time travel or teleportation discovered in our human history, no matter how far in the future it may be? Is it just stuff of science fiction, or could man advance enough to master such feats?

I like to think we can things today that appears as magic just decades ago - we too should have magic to look forward to. If not us, at least generations to come.

So to think a civilization at least capable of instantly gobsmacking us with a signal in real time from such a great distance (to me) is nothing more than USING the laws, not breaking them. Because I doubt we have all the laws yet, science would just pack up and go home if we did.

We have test cars now with hundreds of thousands of accident free autonomous driving, car manufacturers trying to inject these techniques into automotive standards, common place will be the driverless car, no finally in the foreseeable future. And were not talking Google's test cars either, factory production higher end cars are ready to get these in their show rooms. Sure it is all explained, and in this car case, light speed and GPS technology is crucial, but I just don't know that we can say the same rules apply, nor that they can't be broken or tweaked beyond our understanding. I think we are too new at all this stuff to believe we have it all right.

Better.to.Bee.than.not:
I wouldn't read to much into it. many things send out frequency waves naturally, pulsars/etc. what we could be dealing with quite easily is 10 monkeys in a room with a typewriter eventually writing the worlds greatest novel. There are only a certain number of factors within a set amongst unlimited and continuous factors....eventually those factors will be anything and everything within that set, if continuously changing.

Michael Bush:
>Michael, I wonder, do you doubt there will ever be time travel or teleportation discovered in our human history, no matter how far in the future it may be?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."--Clarke's law #3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarke%27s_three_laws

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."--Clarke's law #1

>Is it just stuff of science fiction, or could man advance enough to master such feats?

Based on what we currently know it appears impossible.  But so did a lot of things that we've already done at some point in the past.

It seems more probable that we could jump forward in time than backwards... after all that is the direction that time travels...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version