Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Space Violation  (Read 13567 times)

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
Bee Space Violation
« on: May 07, 2012, 02:06:26 pm »
As you can see in the photo, I violated "Bee Space" seriously between frames 4 and 5.  The space between all the other frames is proper and all you can see are bees working on the foundation.  This was after only one week following a new package install.  The space was left to give room for the queen cage.  The queen was release when I checked.  I cleaned out the brace comb and reestablished the proper bee space between the frames.  Hated to lose all that energy and comb production, but would be a real mess if honey was stored in the comb and had to try and remove a frame or two.  Another lesson of many I'm sure to learn.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 02:11:56 pm by Robo »

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee Space Violation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:01:57 pm »
That is a nice clear picture. I think its better to get it straighten out now before they get all the frames like that.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 06:47:29 pm »
Been there, done that, will do it again I'm sure.    Great pic showing it.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:30:16 am »
I see you are finding out about bee space.I like the pic you got.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:28:51 pm »
As for the Picture, it is one of those "Daaa" moments! 

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:41 pm »
Newbee question here. To "fix" this problem, what do you do? Just replace the two frames with ones with fresh foundations? Or, do you slice off where the comb is extending too far? If you just replace them, what do you do with the material on the removed frames?

Mahalo,

Royall

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 06:55:47 pm »
don't know what he did, but i slice it off.  i have a long bread knife for just such occasions!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 01:16:24 pm »
Sorry for the delay in reply.  Took my handy dandy hive tool and scrapped it off into a large plastic CoffeeMate can.  When I get enough, I'll melt it down and either recoat my plastic frames or make a candle.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:22:08 pm »
Don't bee surprised if they try to continue cross building even after you scrape off the wax and correct the spacing.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »
I have been very pleased with the "discipline" my girls have maintained.  They have been "good" about building comb on the foundation! ;)  Not sure what the key is, but I'm happy and they seem to be also! :-D

anything