Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you need a follower board?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Foxhound

• House Bee
    • Foxhound Bee Company
Do you need a follower board?
« on: January 05, 2015, 10:50:14 pm »
Is it necessary to have a follower board in your hive and move it along as the hive grows?

I know it is helpful if you are starting a colony in a TBH without any comb, the follow board gives them some guidance on comb direction.

After they have several combs being formed in the right direction, can you remove the follow board and let them continue on?

While they are expanding their comb, I add empty bars inbetween full bars to keep the comb straight. That is why I think the follower board is kinda pointless. Am I missing anything?

-Adam
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:33:54 am by Robo »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Do you need a follower board?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:11:14 am »
What's with the huge typeface?  Kind of blinding...

>Is it necessary to have a follower board in your hive and move it along as the hive grows?

No.

>I know it is helpful if you are starting a colony in a TBH without any comb, the follow board gives them some guidance on comb direction.

Perhaps.  But it also limits the space they have to heat and cool and guard.

>After they have several combs being formed in the right direction, can you remove the follow board and let them continue on?

If I ever bothered to make one, I would use it a lot especially on a colony that is small and building.

>While they are expanding their comb, I add empty bars inbetween full bars to keep the comb straight. That is why I think the follower board is kinda pointless. Am I missing anything?

Yes.  It's really about managing space.  But you can do fine without one at all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Foxhound

• House Bee
    • Foxhound Bee Company
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:04:19 pm »
I changed the font, but the forum doesn't let you know what you changed it to...

Thanks for the answer

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:11:39 pm »
A follower board will let you manage the hive size as far as empty space goes.
The bees can guard and take care of a hive that doesn't have a lot of bare or empty space.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 12:31:42 pm »
When I built my TBH I put a strip of Plexiglas in one side so I could watch them.  I had a follower board that I usually placed a couple of empty frames before.  Oh, I made frames not just the top bar.  I would also have a few empty frames between the full ones.  As has been said it limits the space they had to protect, warm and defend.  When they got the hive about two thirds complete I removed it.   I took a top bar, routed a slot in the middle and put a lang. shallow super on.    You can go with or without though, like most beekeeping what YOU do is up to you.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe