Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Propolis as an antiviral precaution? Van, Member, BAABEEs, Others  (Read 1026 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Does anyone here use Propolis as an antiviral precaution?  Mr Van, Member, others, calling on you once more. Is propolis effective as and antiviral property?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
I was sent a video by Mr Chandler (Phil) which may suggest good things from propolis. Though not conclusive with scientific evidence in the video unless I missed it.  I had three things going at once while half paying attention lol.

Phillip
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:26:00 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Propolis as an antiviral precaution? Van, Member, BAABEEs, Others
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 12:43:36 pm »
According to The Beekeeper's Handbook by Diana Sammataro and Alphonse Avitabile, "The compounds in propolis that have some pharmacological (antiviral, antibacterial, antioxidant, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, and antihistamine) activities are quercetin, pinocembrin, caffeic acid, phenethyl ester, acacetin, and pinostrobin. . . .  None of its curative properties have been extensively studied in the United States." 

From what I've read in this and other sources, propolis certainly has antimicrobial properties, which is why you can sometimes find propolis at health food stores and such, but as far as information on actual usage for helping the human immune system, I believe there is minimal to no information on the subject, as far as scientific studies goes.       
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:33:20 pm »
Thanks Member, I was hoping to hear that propolis was a proven antiviral booster.  Maybe someone can come up with some kind of data that you and I have not. found.  Wouldn't it be nice to know that our bees were ever more valuable and important than thought. Though we know they are valuable as is.

Phillip
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:26:17 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 12:34:39 am »
Mr. Ben, I am at a loss on this one,  I just don?t know.  Antibacterial, anti-fungal as Ms. Member said, you bet ya,

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 12:54:44 am »
Thanks Mr Van, The video was vague, though skeptical I was hoping. I will post it here in the morning. I am ready for bed! lol.     

Thanks again,
Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 12:59:37 am »
It didn't take long to find it. I will post it now.  2:08 is the antiviral claim. Perhaps he knows something we don't yet know but I am sticking with you and member until we know more. 

https://youtu.be/97p5sX1mXvI

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:12:15 am »
Propolis is structural.  Since there are tens of thousands of individuals, shoulder to shoulder, and in a warm, moist, and food rich environment, it's not surprising that it's also antimicrobial.  Bees that used glues that tended to harbor or promote microbial growth would have died, while the bees that chose material that was antiseptic would probably continue.

Once you change things like the concentration, or thickness of the material, it changes all the dynamics, so I take ideas about using this stuff for human use with a "maybe, maybe not" approach.  I've a Mother who is always pushing another herbal remedy, so I have a bias.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

anything