Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ever eaten Gar fish?  (Read 5125 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Ever eaten Gar fish?
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:14:27 pm »
We love to eat gar. Most people call them a "trash" fish. I would highly recommend trying some the next time you have the opportunity. What we do is open them up from the top right down the middle. They have two "back straps" in them. Take them out, cut them up into 1" chunks, bread and fry like fish nuggets. The meat is not like fish. It's tougher. Almost compares to gator in my opinion. These are long nose gar that we eat. We don't have alligator gar around here. Most people don't eat them because there hard to clean, and bony. Well those back straps are completely boneless. I don't fool with the rest of the fish, but I know people that do. Also I should mention that the eggs of a gar are pretty toxic. If you catch a fish with eggs. Just simply don't eat them, handle it with care and everything is A okay. Give it a shot. I promise you won't be disappointed. Thank me later.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Ever eaten Gar fish?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 12:36:38 am »
I have ate a couple when I was a kid.  We used to get a couple wraped up in out limb lines.   We used to hook some pretty big snapping turtles also but I don't remember ever eating them.  I always heard they were a bugger to clean.  If I remember correctly, the gar were at thier tenderest while really still hot.
Cheers
gww

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 01:24:52 pm »
What do you use to make the intial cut?  Do you try to scale the top first or maybe use snips? 

Offline Barlon

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 06:04:36 pm »
I've eaten Gar fish and a fair amount of other fish which are considered trash and honestly I'm glad most people won't even try these fish since it means there's always plenty more for me.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 11:58:50 pm »
Mike I did actually use snips. But I bet one could carefully open up the fish straight down the back with a sharp knife.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:02:59 am »
Same here barlon....I eat stuff that most people wouldn't, but I can honestly say that I bet most folks would love the taste of some gar meat. Even people that don't like fish. The back straps out of a gar are absolutely NOTHING like fish. Y'all just try em and thank me later.... :wink:
Take a kid fishing !

Offline nowaczek19

• Brood
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:49:43 am »
I've eaten Gar fish and never again

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 11:11:38 am »
Nowaczek doesn't like it. Doesn't mean you won't. Heck I don't eat mustard. Some folks like it and some don't. Same as every thing else.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 11:12:52 am »
My dad doesn't eat fish and he said he'd eat that anytime I cooked it.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 03:53:43 pm »
Fishing-nut,

I grew up in South Louisiana. A common dish is garfish balls. Meat is ground and mixed with mashed potatoes and spices, then deep fried. Very tasty.
Neill

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2021, 10:16:48 pm »
Fishing-nut,

I grew up in South Louisiana. A common dish is garfish balls. Meat is ground and mixed with mashed potatoes and spices, then deep fried. Very tasty.

herbhome I realize this is an old topic,  but I was wondering if you have a recipe?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2021, 01:22:27 pm »
When my sister and I were little our dad used to take us fishing off a little pier on a river near where we lived.  One time somebody caught a gar and must not have wanted it, because they just left it on the pier near the sink for cleaning your fish.  So it was sitting there partially decayed and stinking, its open eye sockets and pointy teeth glaring at us as we fished that day.  We were scared of that thing for years.       
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 03:11:02 pm by The15thMember »
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

anything