Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Watery Honey Crystallizing  (Read 1671 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Watery Honey Crystallizing
« on: September 05, 2021, 08:45:03 pm »
I have some honey I jarred up recently from a deadout.  A good portion of the honey was not capped, and the refractometer was around 19% for most of it.  I've had it sitting out on the counter so that everyone knows to use it up first, and I've been keeping a eye on it because I'm worried about it fermenting (and adding to my stash of fermented honey that I mentioned on another thread).  Several of the jars seem to be turning opaque on the bottom half, and we got down to that layer in one of the jars today.  I was worried it was going bad, but to my surprise, it seems to be crystalizing instead.  It's an odd sort of crystallization; the crystals are so small that it's not really granular, it's almost like a gel, but when I taste it, I can feel the sugar grains on my tongue.  I'm surprised that honey with too much water would crystallize.  Has anyone else ever experienced this? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
Re: Watery Honey Crystallizing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 09:08:24 pm »
I had a number of jars do just as you described, Lots of people love it that way.  I sold mine at the farmers market as creamed honey, it sold out so fast I plan on making some more.  Great as a spread for bread or toast, use it in tea, coffee, or cooking.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 09:30:22 pm »
Mr MCquilkin, what type and size jars or containers did you use for marketing your creamed honey?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 10:11:58 pm »
Mr MCquilkin, what type and size jars or containers did you use for marketing your creamed honey?
I used creamed honey containers, I got them from a local supplier. B & B Honey farms Houston Minnesota.
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 12:15:44 am »
Thanks

The original question is a good question. I also wonder why such a high moisture percentage honey is crystalizing. I would have thought Member, it would have fermented first?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 03:07:18 pm »
I used creamed honey containers, I got them from a local supplier. B & B Honey farms Houston Minnesota.
Those look great, Brian.  I can see why they sell well.  I'd buy that if I was at a farmer's market!  :happy: 

The original question is a good question. I also wonder why such a high moisture percentage honey is crystalizing. I would have thought Member, it would have fermented first?
I know, it seems very strange.  Not only are bees continually doing unexplainable things, but their honey is too!  :cheesy: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 05:21:09 pm »
The honey that I have had ferment in the jar would separate with the crystals in the bottom, then the upper liquid portion is where the fermentation would begin.  The sugar content in the upper liquid portion would become less so it supports yeast growth.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 07:07:42 pm »
The honey that I have had ferment in the jar would separate with the crystals in the bottom, then the upper liquid portion is where the fermentation would begin.  The sugar content in the upper liquid portion would become less so it supports yeast growth.
That makes total sense and would explain the thin layer of crystals on the bottoms of some of my fermented jars.  Thanks, AR. 

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 01:14:15 pm »
You mention it came from dead out.  Could it be possible that some of that `honey` is sugar feed syrup? Mentioning as sugar tends to drop out to the bottom and crystallize before the actual honey does. Just a thought to consider, whether there is syrup blended in with that honey.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 01:26:25 pm »
You mention it came from dead out.  Could it be possible that some of that `honey` is sugar feed syrup? Mentioning as sugar tends to drop out to the bottom and crystallize before the actual honey does. Just a thought to consider, whether there is syrup blended in with that honey.
I doubt it, unless they robbed out sugar from someone else's feeder.  I was not feeding them sugar water. 

anything