Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I have decided to try plastic foundation.  (Read 4078 times)

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
I have decided to try plastic foundation.
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:33:26 pm »
I have 4 hives, each with a brood box and 3 supers.I know the bees will use the plastic foundation once I cat them with bee wax. What I can't seem to find out is if the queen will lay brood on the plastic foundation.

If the queen will raise brood on the plastic foundation, what is the best way to change the old foundation? Checker boarding or some other method?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Van, Arkansas, USA

Re: I have decided to try plastic foundation.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 03:09:34 pm »
Greetings Crane. I do not like to alter or move brood frames so I would start by placing new foundation next to brood frames or place as outside frames.

Sometimes the bees ignore the new frames, in that case I coat frames with sugar solution with lemon grass oil.  Use the essential oil very sparingly, like a drop to a gallon.

My queens have no issues with plastic frames.
Blessings

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 04:57:22 pm »
A package maybe.  Shake all the bees into new foundation and let them rob out the old hive.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:25:10 pm »
I forgot to say I am going to apply wax to all of my new foundation.

2 of my hives were caught in traps and I have had them for 4 years now. They produce a lot of honey but I am thinking,not knowing how old the queens are, I may have to replace them come spring.

Any more thoughts?
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 06:23:24 pm »
Welcome back to the forum, crainman.  Your avatar has beeb missed.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 06:43:58 pm »
Mr. Crane consider the queens may have been replaced last year, who knows.  Back in the 60?s yes 1960,,, I always let the bees manage their own queens.  I never requeened for 6 years with three hives.  Yes they usually swarmed, I did not mind as the produced 2 supers of Honey each hive, each year.  You obliviously have good genetics, why mess with it? 

I now raise queens for the challenge, but I have two alpha queens, Cordovan itialian, that I do not mess with.
Blessings

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 06:47:19 pm »
Thanks Dallas. :grin:

I been pretty busy as of late.

I hope to be around a little more, at least for now. :wink:
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 06:51:27 pm »
Van, thanks for the response. I was half way between replacing and keeping those 2 queens, you helped me decide.
I will be replacing the queens in my other 2 hives. They just don't seem to be producing hardly half of what the others do.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 08:25:15 pm »
I always have issues with the bees packing the outside frames with honey and back filling the brood nest. Just keep stealing the honey and replacing it with plastic. As long as I wax them heavy and not leave them in when they stop drawing, the bees seem to take to them. If I leave the frames where they get all tracked up and brown before they are drawn they do not get drawn until I pull them, and wax them again.
Also good to see your eagle fly!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 09:51:40 pm »
minz I was thinking of wash boarding but was not sure if that was the right hing to do.

I have plenty of clean wax from previous honey collecting. This past fall I used a small roll and melted wax on some plastic frames to do some coating. That is what I have planned for this next harvest. Twill also do the same  in the brood boxes.

For those who commented on my Eagle. Thanks but I want to say something encase people think I served in the military.  Sorry, When I went to join the service The recruiter said I would be listed as 4F because of childhood accidents and other health problems.

I am just an old Cajun that loves his country and Thanks those who sacrificed life and limb for this great land we call home.

I also want to personally thank those brave people who have served that are a part of Bee life and helping those of us who need that help.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 09:58:22 pm »
I would checkerboard the wax coated foundation in between brood frames. Do it all the time. In the south, I see your in Louisiana, our growing season is a lot more longer than northern regions so the bees have time to draw them out. I recently did this, two weeks ago, when I checked them today 5hey were drawn and laid up. Try it slow and see how it works for you.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 11:10:38 pm »
Thats what I am thinking now.We have some rain coming this week end . I'll probably start  working the plastic frames in beginning this coming week.

Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 11:47:37 am »
While I cannot say that I have had the issues others have had with plastic foundation.  I would say that foundationless is always drawn out much more readily. When I want plastic drawn out I don?t give them another option and put it in the middle of the brood nest. The colony has to be in a position where that is safe however.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 03:56:44 pm »
If you want a single frame drawn then in the middle of the brood will work.
If you wait till you have a honey flow then give them a whole box of plastic frames, no other option and they will draw them. We wax our plastic foundation with a paint roller.
Checker boarding in a super usually end up in a mess for our experience.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 05:09:32 pm »
Since I started with bees I have gone foundation less. I always wind up with cross comb and bur comb all over the super. That's why I am going with plastic. A friend and I bought a small extractor so we can harvest without destroying all the foundation. I am also replacing  brood frames with plastic because the brood frames I have now have been in use for 4 years and are very dirty.
I have plenty of wax to coat the foundation with and will be using a small paint roller to do the wax coating.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 06:53:46 pm »
Since I started with bees I have gone foundation less. I always wind up with cross comb and
bur(sic) comb all over the super. That's why I am going with plastic.

This change in management is a very significant move and now you say
you are including extraction in the equation I ask have you thought this
through to the end point where you have all frames in all colonys holding
plastic foundation?
Also, what is it with wax foundation you find unsuitable?

I declare a personal aversion to the product - shared by bees in many a
colony - yet can say those I have seen use it sucessfully for extraction
have crosswired the frames. Crosswire is piano wire wire strung from
corner to corner. Some also cut the corners away maybe 20mm, said to
improve acceptance.
IF I was to bring these frames to a colony it would be whilst a heavy flow
is on and as honey supers. Once extracted then the drawn frames would be
put to a broodchamber.
I will say that in my experience plastic foundatipn once drawn evenly is
well accepted by bees, anywhere. It is the frustration - read colony
bewiderment - in getting sufficient cleanly drawn frames I find unacceptable.

Bill

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 09:11:44 pm »
I have used the plastic foundation for several years now(along with wax foundation and foundationless).  I have learned that the bees will accept them if there is plenty of wax on them.  I either dip them or use a small paint brush to add extra wax.  I can usually tell where I brushed the wax on with the brush because the bees will have that area drawn ou farther then the rest.  I have recently been cutting some of the foundation into 1" strips and using it for starter strips.  It works great in the supers if you are wanting cut comb honey.  If you are replacing frames in the brood box, I would insert one or two at a time and remove the outside ones.  One down side to using all foundation (plastic or wax) is they have to rework it for drone cells.  Or they build the drone cells in burr comb between boxes.  I have noticed that the hives that have some area to raise drones in the frames tend to build less burr comb between boxes.  As stated by Oldbeavo checkerboarding in honey supers tend to not go well.  If you add a full box with plastic foundation(with the extra wax) you should be o.k.

I have plenty of wax to coat the foundation with and will be using a small paint roller to do the wax coating.

I used to think that too.  Now all my wax goes back on the plastic foundation.   :wink:  It doesn't go as far as you would think.

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 12:18:28 pm »
I agree that your foundation should go into the brood nest in between drawn worker brood frame. You have to remove something to add something and I was suggesting a strategy to pulling the outside frames with only honey. You can also move your beat up frames outboard of the brood nest, allow the brood to hatch. You could even open up the honey frame and place it by the hives in weather that is just warm enough to fly (keeps the robbers from far yards out of your stores)
In spring here the bees are doing their best to expand their population. I would suggest only a frame or two and would therefore not use the word checkerboard. It will allow for expansion of brood nest and building new wax (young bees make wax)
You were the pen turner weren?t you? I used to turn wood as a mindless exercise and now I find that building bee equipment to fill that gap. I have way too much gear now and need to stop building.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline craneman54

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 10:26:35 pm »
minz yes I am a wood turner although I have not done much turning lately. I have  a few more projects to take care of then I can get back to my turning.

Thanks for the advise and the help.
Retired crane operator
I love woodturning

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 08:42:14 am »
Crane,
Since you have been using foundation less frames, I would recommend seeing if you can get small cell plasticell. That way you have the best of 2 worlds. I have several hundred sheets if large cell plasticell and I really wish I had bought the small cell sheets.
The big error in using plastic foundation is trying to mix wax or found less with plastic in the same super. If they have a choice, they will not use the plastic. If the super has all plastic with a goof wax coat, especially a fresh wax coat, they will build on it beautifully.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin