Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help with Queen Excluders vs. Honey excluders?!  (Read 4493 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Help with Queen Excluders vs. Honey excluders?!
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 08:17:15 am »
I thought all that was obvious Oldbeavo.  What I don't get is why do commercials suggest that back yard beeks should do the same?  Farming of any kind is work.  Anyone who doesn't think so has never done it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 09:23:41 am »
Acebird
I am not saying that smaller BK's should do the same, infact if you read back I am saying that stationary yards a Qx is optional.
Of all the obvious things stated, they are why I think that a Qx is a useful tool but if anyone can put up other ideas I would be pleased to consider them.
If I ran some hives for myself at home they would run as double brood boxes, full depth, and a Qx with supers.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 09:39:31 am »
If I ran some hives for myself at home they would run as double brood boxes, full depth, and a Qx with supers.

Of course, that is what you are use to.  Why would you spend your whole life doing it one way as a commercial and then retire, put some hives in your back yard and do something different?  I can only think of one reason.  Your back has given out and you can't lift what you use to lift but you still like bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 01:00:19 am »
Acebird
Are there any other conclusions that you would like to jump to?
The only difference between amateur Beek's and commercial Beek's is that commercials have to make a profit to be able to survive.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 09:03:01 am »
That difference can change the whole way you look at beekeeping.  Backyard beeks struggle with containing their apiary, commercial beeks struggle with expanding their apiary.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 12:06:19 pm »
Here is the typical scenario for a beginner trying to use an excluder:  The package builds the first box of comb quickly.  They add another box.  The colony builds the next box.  They add an excluder and a box full of empty foundation.  The bees do nothing with it.  Sometimes they even swarm with that empty box on top.  The flow is over and they bees still haven't touched the box above the excluder...

It takes drawn comb to get bees through an excluder and even then sometimes a couple of frames of brood to really get them going through it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 02:13:05 pm »
Exactly how I remember my first hive which was a nuc but it didn't swarm.  I succeeded to kill the hive not knowing a thing about beekeeping following the instructions of many with a hive top feeder.  I didn't know that I had to take it off.  So the next season I gave up excluders and feeders.  Another year goes by and I hear of this great beekeeper with a wealth of knowledge, Michael Bush.  I got into his website and read how I was being stupid.  So the third year I gave up deeps.  My hat goes off to Michael because he made my hobby so much more pleasurable.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything