Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout in Arlington, Jacksonxille FL  (Read 3201 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Cutout in Arlington, Jacksonxille FL
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:47:40 pm »
Here are some pictures of a cut out that Judy and I did on Wednesday. The hive was massive, about 16 inches wide, 12 inches high and 6 feet long. There were not a huge number of bees for its size. They had a new queen but I don?t know if I have her. I still need to insp the hive I put them in. Most of the brood was hatched out or hatching. I found one football size area on one frame with eggs and another with eggs and just hatched larvae, all eggs were in the bottom of the cells.
I didn?t cut to the end of the comb, figuring I could easily a foot into the void. That was a mistake. While using cutout tools, made by Divemaster, the bees would get hurt and a bee would drop down and sting me. This happened a lot. More than 20+ stings.

Continued
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Cutout in Arlington, Jacksonxille FL
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:55:48 pm »
Now that is awesome!! I wish I could have been on that!!!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 01:58:38 pm »
The comb went up to 16 inches past the opening on the wall end. Some of it turned and went down into the Sofit area. Hard to wiggle it out without breaking and dropping a piece into an area that I could not reach.

In this first picture you can see 2 holes in the wall that I drilled to try and find the bees.
When I smoked them from the outside, it really sounded like they were in the wall. It was not until I put a camera in the holes that I could verify that there was no comb, just a few bees. After we were done, at the owners request, we checked the ceiling on both sides to make sure there were none there. The way it was built, the bees had access to every space between the floor joists.

As you can see it made a real mess. Honey was dripping on me and the floor constantly. It really paid off putting thick plastic down to cover most of the room and we had plastic going out to the door.

Continued
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 02:15:49 pm »
We mostly vacuumed up bees from the window, the comb was so tight that it was hard to get to them on the comb.

After I got all of the comb out I used my hive tool to scrape the rest of the wax and honey off of the wood.
Becides getting a lot of bees and bee stings, Judy was stung at least 6 times, we got about 4 gallons of honey and a lot of wax.

Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 05:26:27 pm »
Nice job

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:32 pm »
NICE!!
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 08:22:58 am »
I inspected this hive yesterday. I found 2 brand new queen cells just started. I also found a lot more eggs and new larvae than I saw during the cutout. It is a lot easier to see them is the sunlight then it is outside. Today with Judy?s help, I?m going to put a screen on top of the queen right hive next to it and put this hive on top of it. I have about 35 hives right now with a good flow. If it were to stop, they would rob this hive out in seconds.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Megaloptera

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 05:51:43 pm »
Wife, "Honey?!"

Husband, "What?"

Wife, "No. . . Honey!"

Husband, "What?!"

Wife, "The ceiling is leaking?"

Husband, "Honey!!!"

Wife, "That's what I said."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 06:54:37 pm »
  :grin:
Ben Franklin

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 07:00:21 pm »
Jim, that was quite a job! Great pictures. Looks like you've got the system pretty advanced for handling the situation. Something like that, I would have said "no thanks". Thank you for sharing.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2019, 07:05:12 pm »
Coolbees,
I was not expecting that hive to bee as big as it was. I figured we had a 4 or 5 hour job. It turned out to bee 8 hours.
It would have been a lot easier if it had been in the wall.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 12:45:23 am »
Coolbees,
I was not expecting that hive to bee as big as it was. I figured we had a 4 or 5 hour job. It turned out to bee 8 hours.
It would have been a lot easier if it had been in the wall.
Jim Altmiller

Good thorough job Jim and Judy. Very professionally done!! I bet JP and Schawee would have been proud!!  :grin:
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 07:09:21 am »
Thanks all.
Speaking of JP and Schawee, I just received a notification of one of JP?s new videos. It was at an actress?s house. As always very well done. I wish JP would start posting his videos on BeeMaster again.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 03:22:57 pm »
Thanks all.
Speaking of JP and Schawee, I just received a notification of one of JP?s new videos. It was at an actress?s house. As always very well done. I wish JP would start posting his videos on BeeMaster again.
Jim Altmiller

I watched that Jim. He and Schawee are the fellows that taught me to do cutouts, indirectly via their videos. I once said to someone here that if a person is interested in doing cutouts, all they have to do is watch their videos. They will both entertain as well as teach. Both are really nice folks. Yes I agree. I would like to see them here also. They are very experienced and encouraging..
Phillip

anything