Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help a newbee with a (hopefully simple!) bee removal?  (Read 2580 times)

Offline naikii

• Brood
Help a newbee with a (hopefully simple!) bee removal?
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:45:23 am »
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the game, I have had 2 hives ticking along since around Oct.

I run a property management business and went to do a first inspection today to be told, all is well except for the bees! The bees I ask? Yes, the ones who have built a hive outside my window! Photo attached!

The building is not accessible from the outside due to its height. The hive though is in what appear to be an easily accessible place from inside the apartment, being attached at least partially to the flyscreen of the window. If they fall, they will drop to a very inconvenient location, possibly not retrievable.

Inside the apartment the room can be sealed containing any angry bees to that room.

The hive doesnt look massive.

My initial plan is to head along with a nuc box and some suits and slice around the flyscreen and dump them straight into the empty nuc box with maybe one frame, if it fits. I will then bring the box back to the backyard apiary and let them orientate for a day or so and then chop up the comb and elastic band them to empty frames.

I have never done anything like this. How does it sound for reasonability???

I am mainly concerned about thousands of bees flying about inside her apartment.. Is it best to put them comb in and leave it until dark? Whats the right approach? Thanks!

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Help a newbee with a (hopefully simple!) bee removal?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 06:59:15 am »
Hi guys,

I am fairly new to the game, I have had 2 hives ticking along since around Oct.

I run a property management business and went to do a first inspection today to be told, all is well except for the bees! The bees I ask? Yes, the ones who have built a hive outside my window! Photo attached!

The building is not accessible from the outside due to its height. The hive though is in what appear to be an easily accessible place from inside the apartment, being attached at least partially to the flyscreen of the window. If they fall, they will drop to a very inconvenient location, possibly not retrievable.

Inside the apartment the room can be sealed containing any angry bees to that room.

The hive doesnt look massive.

My initial plan is to head along with a nuc box and some suits and slice around the flyscreen and dump them straight into the empty nuc box with maybe one frame, if it fits. I will then bring the box back to the backyard apiary and let them orientate for a day or so and then chop up the comb and elastic band them to empty frames.

I have never done anything like this. How does it sound for reasonability???

I am mainly concerned about thousands of bees flying about inside her apartment.. Is it best to put them comb in and leave it until dark? Whats the right approach? Thanks!

How high up are they, how many stories?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 07:29:56 am »
First, search "bee vac", or honeybee vacuum unit. Then build or buy one.
You can start here.   https://beevac.com/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 08:13:12 am »
As a former property manager I would suggest hiring the job out or at least get professional help.  Way too much exposure doing this yourself.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 09:08:02 am »
Do not drop the comb into the box. Remove one frame at a time, cut the brood out to fit in the frames and use rubber bands to hold it in the frames.
Do a search for JPThebeeman. He has hundreds of videos on this website on how to do removals. Scott Hardwood also has Removal videos.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 09:13:26 am »
Here is his last post.
https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=51038.msg449856#msg449856

If you click on his name, it will take you to his profile. You can click on Show Posts. You can then see every post he added.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 09:43:26 pm »
naiki, How did this work out for you?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.