Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Equipment-storage  (Read 2524 times)

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
Equipment-storage
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:12:23 pm »
I used to have a large plastic tub that I used to put all my beekeeping equipment in. It was useful because I had all my gear in one centralised location, that I could easily move in/out of my car. The tub became damaged from rough use and equipment fell out through the gaps. Now, quite often I forget things and all my gear is scattered.

I need a better system. I'm wondering, what do you beekeepers use to store your equipment? Do you have some sort of beekeeping tool box?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Equipment-storage
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 08:16:43 pm »
What is ALL? For me mine will fit in a heavy duty small plastic shopping basket or a heavy duty plastic milk/soda crate. But it is usually just in the back of the pick-up...
John 3:16

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 08:06:48 am »
Other than the smokers, the stuff I use with my hands (hive tool, queen clip, lighter, ect) on is in a black bag that a skill saw came in.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:31:38 pm »
>Do you have some sort of beekeeping tool box?

I have several of these:
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Old-Style-Merrill-Tool-Box-w_-Custom-Bee-Brush/productinfo/247S/

I makes nice stool to sit on, a nuc to put a swarm in and a toolbox...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline squarepeg

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 02:34:11 pm »
michael, is the inside of that tool box rabbeted to accept frames?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:26 pm »
I have a wind brake that is made out of pallets in a zig-zag arrangement.  On top of the end one is a plastic mail box.  My smoker sits on the slats of the pallet and is covered with a clear plastic pretzel container to prevent rain, snow, sleet and hail from deteriorating the bellows.  I don't use many tools.  The mail box is large enough to house a torch, igniter, brush, frame gripper, hive tool, mouse guards, and three or four entrance reducers.  Sometimes gloves.  I bring sawdust and rolled cardboard out to the hives for fuel.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Bee%20Tools/Beetools002.jpg

I have a presto pressure cooker pot for snuffing out burning fuel that is left in the bee yard.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 06:43:08 pm »
i just use a wheeled yard tote. because i do cut outs and have a trailer setup with ladders and vac and tools. just keep the yard stuff in the small roller tool cart.

john

Offline omnimirage

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 03:50:01 am »
Interesting tool-box-hive there Michael.

I have quite a number of tools. Smoker, lighter, matches, gas canisters, pine needles, hive tools, brush, water spraying bottle, duct tape, pocket knife, hammer, cordless drill, screws/nails, mirror, fire-extinguisher, anti-histamines, gloves, suit, honey scraper, beekeeping journal, pen, plastic takeaway food containers for honeycomb, rubberbands. I'd imagine it'd continue to expand as my skillset and understanding improves.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:21:51 am »
Omni
Here is my homebrew bee tool tote. I was too frugal (pronounced "cheap") to go the Merrill box route.
Photos taken during final tweaking stage. Brush now has a dedicated compartment along inside wall. Center section has numerous containers for bandaids, queen marking equip, alcohol spray bottle, etc.

Spence
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 08:55:38 am »
>michael, is the inside of that tool box rabbeted to accept frames?

Yes.  The most important function of the toolbox, though, is as a stool so I don't hurt my back.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:22:08 am »

Yes.  The most important function of the toolbox, though, is as a stool so I don't hurt my back.

To stand on or to sit?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 11:19:03 am »
Sit.
-------------------

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 03:18:37 pm »
I don't feel comfortable sitting while working bees.  I made too many clumsy mistakes that require  a quick exit.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2017, 04:25:05 pm »
>I don't feel comfortable sitting while working bees.  I made too many clumsy mistakes that require  a quick exit.

...and it takes too long to get up?
-------------------

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2017, 04:55:55 pm »

So if used for a swam... where is it vented?

Edited... I see the vent hole now  :oops:
John 3:16

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 05:22:45 pm »
I screwed a box together using some 1/2 and 3/4 inch scrap plywood. It holds the frame perch, hive tools, hammer.pliers, brush, propane torch, smoker fuel and my smoker which I plug before storing. Gloves and veil get stored hanging on the outside of the box to dry out. I found a padded suit case handle which really helps when I am lugging the box around. It's a little heavy but all the materials I used making it was free so I can't complain. The hard part is making sure all the stuff gets put back in the box at the end of the day.
  The supers, covers, frames and other wood ware have a corner in the shop under some shelving next to the extractor and uncapping sink. After all these years being a bee keeper I finally learned to keep it simple if at all possible.

anything