Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: where does big bee companys get there foundation from?  (Read 12980 times)

Offline lisnnbeerawhoney

• New Bee
where does big bee companys get there foundation from?
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:16:49 am »
 :devilbanana: always wonder where does big honey bee company's get there foundation from.  like dadant? anybody have any ideas? thanks best reach me on my email ,petestreeservice@gmail.com  thanks for looking Peter

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
Re: where does big bee companys get there foundation from?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:44:04 pm »
I've been to the Dadant facility in Hamilton, IL and the stench of molten wax was overpowering there.  So strong it made me nauseous.  I'm pretty sure they make foundation there.  Years ago I had a stockpile of wax and sold them some.  I know they'll do the trade your wax for a lower price on foundation exchange.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:45:53 pm »
The only 2 companys I know that make wax foundation are Dadant and Walter T. Kelley.

Now on plastic foundation I do not know ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:09:47 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Billybee

• House Bee
    • My myspace page for beekeeping
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 09:08:39 pm »
They get it from giant forests of foundation trees :evil:
Can somebody tell me where I can find a foundation tree?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »
But only the mature trees produce foundation fruit.   

And I am pretty sure most all the big bee supply houses make their own foundation.    It is not rocket science.   And you can buy foundation mills if you want to do it your self. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:38:06 pm »
The first to sell foundation was A.I. Root (who no longer sells it)  As Jim said, I think the majority comes from Kelley and Dadant.  I have seen some odd sized wax out there and wonder if there isn't at least one other company making it, but I'm not sure.  I know most of the other companies buy it from Dadant.  Kelley makes their own and will work your wax if you make arrangements.  At least they used to.  I haven't looked lately to see if that is still true.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 04:44:57 pm »
The first to sell foundation was A.I. Root (who no longer sells it)  As Jim said, I think the majority comes from Kelley and Dadant.  I have seen some odd sized wax out there and wonder if there isn't at least one other company making it, but I'm not sure.  I know most of the other companies buy it from Dadant.  Kelley makes their own and will work your wax if you make arrangements.  At least they used to.  I haven't looked lately to see if that is still true.

The first foundation I use in 1957 A.I. Root

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline rwurster

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 04:30:57 am »
Another beekeeper in my area gave me a box of Dadant foundation that was made in 1953.  Bees drew it out like it was made yesterday.  There was also an advertisement in it for a subscription to the American Bee Journal, 12 big issues plus 5 book bonus for $2.00.
Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
Facebook Link

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 06:32:57 pm »
Go to the Fatbeeman 's site he will show you how to make it . He makes all his own.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:17:49 am »
This was the same type conversation not that many years ago in regards to pollen. Pollen supplement was many times made with real pollen, yet nobody seemed to know where the pollen was coming from. It was divulged after some internet chatter and a few arm twists, that pollen was indeed coming from China. And although it was a long story with many twists, I for one tested this foreign pollen and found among other things, high levels of fluvalinate and DDT.

So what about wax foundation? Where does all the wax come from? We might know who produces it, but where does the raw product come from? Do they market or clearly state where it comes from?

We have a plastic knockoff copy of peirco being sold by some vendors with it being made in China. And pollen, royal jelly, and about most bee equipment being supplied by China. I know I am contacted almost weekly by foreign companies wanted me to sell their stuff.

Perhaps like the pollen issues from a few years back, we would better off knowing where the wax comes from, and care a bit less on who manufacturers it.

Just something to think about.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:36:45 pm by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 04:40:25 pm »
This was the same type conversation not that many years ago in regards to pollen. Pollen supplement was many times made with real pollen, yet nobody seemed to know where the pollen was coming from. It was divulged after some internet chatter and a few arm twists, that pollen was indeed coming from China. And alsthough it was a long stiory with many twists, I for one tested this foreign pollen and found among other things, high levels of fluvalinate and DDT.

So what about wax foundation? Where does all the wax come from? We might know who produces it, but where does the raw product come from? Do they market or clearly state where it comes from?

We have a plastic knockoff copy of peirco being sold by some vendors with it being made in China. And pollen, royal jelly, and about most bee equipment being supplied by China. I know I am contacted almost weekly by foreign companies wanted me to sell there stuff.

Perhaps like the pollen issues from a few years back, we would better off knowing where the wax comes from, and care a bit less on who manufacturers it.
Just something to think about.

X:X X:X X:X X:X

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 09:47:51 am »
Well, perhaps the producers should be telling beeks where their wax is coming from.  After all, only they know.  

And whether this wax is even being inspected before re-sale for anything, or maybe it just doesn't matter to the producers.  

They've all been pretty quiet on this subject as far as I can tell.

Its one of those 'right to know' dilemma's that will always plague 'some' consumers I'm afraid.

These are the questions that convinced me to go 'foundationless' in the first place.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 02:41:17 pm »
>Well, perhaps the producers should be telling beeks where their wax is coming from.  After all, only they know.

It comes from beekeepers in the US.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 05:09:42 pm »
That doesn't make me feel any better  ;)

Offline pawallinsr

• New Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 10:32:04 pm »
If 70% of honey is imported, I bet the wax is too! :-\
Peter

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 06:06:30 am »
Yep, I'm sticking w/ no foundation.  Who needs the added stress?  Not me or my bees.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »
we used to melt all our cappings into big blocks of wax and trade it to dadant for merchandise.  back then there were a lot of large scale commercial beekeepers and i don't think that's true anymore so i would bet at least a portion is imported.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 08:45:40 am »
It comes from UPS

anything