Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cell question  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Jaghoss

• Brood
Queen cell question
« on: May 28, 2018, 09:43:13 pm »
Hello all,
This is my first post here so allow me to introduce myself; I'm a fourth year beekeeper in western Wyoming. I'm still a "newbee" but, gaining confidence each year.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to pose a question, but since I understood I otta check in here first, I thought I'd throw it out; two birds with one stone, right?

Anyway, I found myself with a queenless colony, (it was actually a recently purchased nuc) but I thought that maybe instead of ordering a mated queen, I would try and let them requeen (this will be my first go at it). So I gave them a frame from one of my other colonies, a particularly strong one with an exceptional queen with newly built frame and loaded with eggs and larva. Sure enough they built a handful of good looking queen cells that are now a couple days away from being capped. So, here's my question: Sort of as an afterthought, if I wanted to cut a queen cell or two and put them into a mating nuc, how would I go about it? It's comb built on plastic foundation.

I have two reasons for wanting to try it. First, if I can raise transfer a queen cell or two to a mating nuc, it increases my odds of getting a mated queen out of the deal. Second, if they're both successfully mated, I could requeen one of my other hives that isn't looking as strong this year.

Thoughts?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Queen cell question
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:30:29 pm »
With wax foundation comb, just cut and stick.  With plastic foundation,  VERY CAREFULLY    :wink:   :grin:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 10:35:40 pm »
Look at this vidio near the bottom of videos.
Making Mini Nucleus Colonies
At this site.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/honeybee/videos.shtml.

He does it with a cup and a half of bees.

I am foundationless and so I don't think it will work on plastic foundation cause it leaves a hole in the bottom of the cell.

On mine, I just cut all the way around the cell leaving wings on the sides.  I did not worry about brood that might be in the way.  I then took the cell and put it with the brood in the split that I made and smashed those wings on the queen cell into that comb and then slid the frames together with out crushing the cell.  It worked fine.  I did not know the age of the cell I did and wether it was just capped or getting ready to hatch.  I hear just capped is fragial but mine worked out. 
Good luck.
gww

Ps Idee beat me to it and knows more then me but I posted anyway cause I had typed it.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 11:18:47 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster.
What Iddee and GWW said but wait until the cells are capped.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:16:54 am »
I would try and let them requeen (this will be my first go at it).

If this is your fist go at it then why try something else?

If it was your second or third successful attempt I would put a cage around one or two cells leaving at least two cells un-caged for the parent hive.  When they emerge transfer the frame to the mating nuc and remove the cage in a couple of days.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jaghoss

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:46:57 am »
"If this is your fist go at it then why try something else?"

Acebird, I'm not sure I understand what you mean exactly.

I thought of caging a couple of queens and then introducing them in the mating nuc, and I suppose if that turns out to be my best bet, I'll stick with it. My hope was if somebody had a clever way of moving the capped cell, then I wouldn't need to worry about going through the hassle of getting them to accept her in the little nuc, because either way, she'll only be in the mating nuc until if/when she successfully mates, then I'll have to introduce her again into her permanent home.

Maybe all this just isn't worth the hassle. I'm primarily thinking of trying it as an insurance policy for the parent hive's nuptial flight; 80% success rate aren't awesome odds if you only get one shot at it, you know?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:08 pm »
"If this is your fist go at it then why try something else?"

Acebird, I'm not sure I understand what you mean exactly.

Let the queens in the cells emerge  but have a cage around a couple of them so you can move them to another hive.  Then it doesn't matter if the foundation is plastic or not and there is no risk to the parent hive.

The percentages are based on location.  Your location could have a 95% rate and someone else's it could be 50%.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it