Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone Here Use Nets For Catching Swarms?  (Read 1367 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Anyone Here Use Nets For Catching Swarms?
« on: March 09, 2022, 01:52:57 pm »
I have not seen this so I am posting this minute video of a beekeeper using a net. This method may have advantages as well as disadvantages?

https://youtube.com/shorts/JKK2r4vU9Go?feature=share
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 02:49:11 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: Anyone Here Use Nets For Catching Swarms?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 02:17:09 pm »
Saw a pillowcase used one time.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 08:18:18 pm »
For about the last 10 years. That I was in the USA... I used a  bag that looks very similar to this... I could keep this under the seat. of my car..

Skog ? Kust SCUBASak Collapsible Mesh Duffle Bag with Exterior Waterproof Pocket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073V7JWM9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_AV7S0V48Z36E4T93B7BC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BEE HAPPY  Jim134   :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 07:08:37 am »
That is a new one for me. You could also dump them into a hive from the bag. You will probably have to invert the bag to let all of the bees stuck to the net out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2022, 08:14:09 am »
Where do you find a swarm that accessible?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 09:14:42 am »
It's a laundry bag.  I cut the rim off a bucket with a pole and put the laundry bag in it.  It's a lot lighter than trying to hold a whole bucket on a pole over your head.  Once you bump the bees into the bag and lower it the bag closes from the weight of the bees.  Then I invert the bag and dump the bees in a hive.  One drawback is sometimes the bees get a little caught up in the bag and get agitated.  It works pretty well.  Hanging the bag under the hive box is a nice idea as long as you get the queen and most of the bees on the first bump.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 09:59:26 am »
Where do you find a swarm that accessible?

With gained 'experience', I for one, have found swarms in several type of situations, including easy accessible circumstances similar to this one..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline guitarstitch

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2022, 01:30:29 pm »
I recently used a pool skimmer net to capture swarms from one of my hives.  Lacking any other tools, I stood on the roof of my van and captured most of the swarms with the wide skimmer on a long pole.  By rotating the net 90 degrees, I was able to seal most of the bees in while I lowered the net to the box.
-Matthew Pence/Stitch

anything