Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm trap distance?  (Read 5258 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Swarm trap distance?
« on: January 30, 2020, 10:42:54 pm »
If you knew where a colony is living inside a tree. How far away from there tree would you place a trap?  Would you add two to area just in case?  Thanks

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Swarm trap distance?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 11:19:35 pm »
I read 300 yards in one place. Not too close, not too far. But you... You can't trust the internet. :grin:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 11:59:26 pm »
Nock, I have seen videos where JP and Schawee have performed cutouts with 3 hives in the same house. Did these extra two come from the original house hive, or did they all come from a source further away at different times?  Maybe you can send JP or Schawee a PM asking their opinion. You might also ask Jeff at Jeff Horchoff Bees. He catches more swarms than anyone I know of.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 03:23:15 am »
The consensus has been a quarter mile.  I catch swarms in old nuc boxes left in the beeyard though.  I would just put them around the colony about 100 yards in any direction.  If you use the right swarm trap, bait, and location, they will probably choose the trap over a hollow tree branch.  More than one will give them choices, and increase the odds they wont go into someone's soffit.

I've been trying to find an average for colonies in a square mile, and get answers from 7 to 200.  I can't really say, but Dr. Thomas Seeley gives even less per.  It seems the swarm will go out to look for an appropriate cavity within a comfortable range.

They will search for cavities as soon as the swarming urge hits.  They may circle around the bait hives for weeks, even more than a month while they get ready.  I am constantly fooled into thinking I have a swarm moved in, lower the trap, and discover half a dozen bees in it.  If they have the traps there, they will camp out in them to keep other swarms from taking them, and then they will vote on the best hive when they cluster.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 07:07:07 am »
They will choose what they think is the best home. It can be from a couple feet to a quarter mile. Seldom further. The more traps out, the better your chances.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2020, 05:48:19 pm »
Now...what about ideal height?  I have caught the ones I have caught remarkably close to the ground.  Not yet one from up high.

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 06:26:21 pm »
I've not seen that that matters. I've caught on ground and 12 feet up. Just give them a good home.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 08:21:52 pm »
It is said 10 feet is best, but the bees don't always abide.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 09:03:49 pm »
I trap every year, and the height that gets me bees is about 10 feet up.  I spent 4 fruitless years here trying to catch at least one swarm, and I had decided to hang them from a french cleat I had rachet strapped to a straight trunk, as high as I thought comfortable.  That turned out to be about 5 1/2 feet.  I finally realized all I was getting in the traps were red wasps, brown widow spiders, and ants.

Since those critters like being closer to the ground, hanging them out of their comfort zone, and putting baits of grape jelly, and peanut butter mixed with borax in the hives, I got 5 swarms out of 6 traps last spring.  Using the same 6 traps, I caught 2 in 2014, 1 in 2015, 1 in 2016, 0 in 2017 and 2018.  Since I usually get around 66%, I was getting frustrated.

That is the one thing I did before 2014, tie a harness on the traps, attach a line, a rock to the free end, toss it over a branch, and pull it up.  The entrance can't spin around.  You want to secure the trap with the free rope, and tie it around the trunk of the tree to finish.

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 10:32:55 pm »
This is all interesting to me.  I have never trapped bees.  Bet it is exciting to see the bees in the trap and realize your success.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 11:08:47 pm »

I caught 9 last year.  All of the traps were hung no higher than I could reach from the ground.

Kevin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 11:11:09 pm »

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 11:57:14 pm »
KWalt, is the box a five frame nuc?
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 12:08:11 am »
No. They?re bigger than a 5 frame nuc. 6 frames wide and about as deep as they are long. It?s not something you want to leave them in too long. I usually leave them for a week before transferring them into normal equipment.  I believe swarms are looking for a larger box than a nuc.

Kevin

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 08:29:41 am »
Kwalt - now that is impressive! 

Are you trapping beeks concerned about these bees bringing mites/etc into your bee yard? I've taken swarms, but they were usually mine or my neighbors. This looks like fun!

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2020, 11:38:39 am »
Mr. Kevin, in your pic standing you stand next to a hive: is that hive a long hive or a Kenya hive???  I can?t tell from the pic.  I have wanted to experience a long hive which to me, is a horizontal langstrof.  I can see advantages of a long hive.

Van

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2020, 11:59:03 am »
What lure do y?all like using? 

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2020, 12:28:36 pm »
Nock, good question.  As stated earlier, I have never trapped.  So I am asking would honey work as a lure?

Van

Offline Kwalt

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2020, 12:49:33 pm »
I think the most important lure is a piece of old brood comb. I also use lemon grass oil or swarm commander on a cue tip, plus a drop at the entrance. They both work, I didn?t notice a difference. If the box used for a bait hive is new I rubbed the inside with propolis. I usually check them weekly and bring them home when I see them bringing in pollen.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2020, 01:29:37 pm »
I think the most important lure is a piece of old brood comb. I also use lemon grass oil or swarm commander on a cue tip, plus a drop at the entrance. They both work, I didn?t notice a difference. If the box used for a bait hive is new I rubbed the inside with propolis. I usually check them weekly and bring them home when I see them bringing in pollen.

Thanks, Kwalt.

This is so helpful!
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

anything