Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: .  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Arch Stanton

• New Bee
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:03:40 pm »

It appears Joe took his ball and went home, after deleting his posts.   See here -> http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,45691.msg394604.html#msg394604
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:24:08 am by Robo »

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Hello from Michigan
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:12:20 pm »
Welcome and you will have no trouble finding someone to discuss your proclivities in hive design with.  I decided I am just not a good enough beekeeper to go that route.  The anticipation of getting bees and building are wonderful times.  Bees are the best part of life past my family. 

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:54:56 am »
Hey Joe, welcome to the forum. What area you live in?

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:00:23 am »
hello and welcome

I think top bar hives are more difficult for bees to keep warm during the winter?

anyone else have experience in the far north

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:24:44 am »
I think every beekeeper has thoughts of easy beekeeping with top bar hives.
Seems easier than langs without all the box moving and extra equipment.
Doesn't take long to figure out that bees like to move up, not sideways.
Replacing bees every year in our climate, gets old fast!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 08:29:48 am by tefer2 »

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 10:32:24 am »
I'm going to wrap with felt this year.  should get it done this weekend then on to candy board making.  oh and welcome Joe

Offline Arch Stanton

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 11:50:53 am »
Seems easier that langs without all the box moving and extra equipment.
Thank you so much for your encouragement. Immediately being told that my interest in top bar hives does not meet with your approval is exactly what I was looking for when I joined.  It really makes a new beekeeper feel welcome.

Whenever I meet beekeepers and tell them that I am interested in keeping top bar hives, they very consistently tell me how wrong they think my decision is and speak to me in a very condescending manner. Also, my name is Joseph; not "Joe." I come from a time when people would ask permission to call someone by their first name and only very close people would abbreviate them, and never without permission.  Apparently, this is not the right place for me to be.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:09:35 pm by Arch Stanton »

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: .
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 02:04:58 pm »
Apparently your not in the right place there JOE

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 03:12:08 pm »
Seems easier that langs without all the box moving and extra equipment.
Thank you so much for your encouragement. Immediately being told that my interest in top bar hives does not meet with your approval is exactly what I was looking for when I joined.  It really makes a new beekeeper feel welcome.

Whenever I meet beekeepers and tell them that I am interested in keeping top bar hives, they very consistently tell me how wrong they think my decision is and speak to me in a very condescending manner. Also, my name is Joseph; not "Joe." I come from a time when people would ask permission to call someone by their first name and only very close people would abbreviate them, and never without permission.  Apparently, this is not the right place for me to be.
no offence given. Please
I think you've taken this all wrong,
forgive us our spelling and grammar errors. forgive us, most of us didn't attend collage.

almost none of us will write a book or manuscript, and wish we could.

But what we have done is some thing like what your about to do. and this became a failure for many reasons one of witch is climate.

the top bar hive was developed  in Africa a third world country where resources are scarce and the tools to manufacture a complete hive are even rarer.
Please don't take offence. I am as offended sometimes as you.

I am here because I want to learn. short cuts are always needed, if not by him then then the next Guy to read these topics.
any insight I have, will freely pass on. When one doesn't  like or find my views helpful, please disregard the advice.
I tell you now I have made mistakes here and any thing comes out comical then it probably was intended to be funny

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 07:49:28 pm »
WTH is wrong with people these days.  i'll tell you what, i am sick to death of people just waiting to be offended.  go keep whatever kind of hive you want to keep.  do it by yourself because you sure as heck won't take any advice from anyone, even someone keeping TBH hives.

good luck and don't let the door hit you in the you know what on the way out!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 08:49:49 pm »
I could see that coming even before I opened the thread.   :th_thumbsupup: :cheer: :beemaster:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 04:59:23 pm »
WTH is wrong with people these days.  i'll tell you what, i am sick to death of people just waiting to be offended.  go keep whatever kind of hive you want to keep.  do it by yourself because you sure as heck won't take any advice from anyone, even someone keeping TBH hives.

good luck and don't let the door hit you in the you know what on the way out!
Well said Kathy.  Got a feeling  Joe is not coming back

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »
Joseph, do a search on TBeek.  He has kept long hives in Northern Wisconsin for many years.  Not exactly a TBH, but close as far as wintering is concerned.  His long hive was even using medium frames which should be more of a challenge in our climate.

I haven’t done a long or TBH yet in Michigan, but I have no doubt it is possible.  I’ve wintered very small nucs (4 frame mediums) here with good insulation and just about anything is doable with proper planning.  As for the peanut gallery, just tune them out!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 11:11:31 pm »
This was strange and odd to find.   Sometimes I figure I miss a lot by not being here 25 7.    :?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 04:26:22 am »
Allen, you lucky dog, do y’all have 25 hours in Georgia now?  I could sure use an extra hour of sleep. 8-) 

A posting by “.” about “.”  :laugh:  Odd indeed!  Almost like a coffee house thread  :-D

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 07:31:17 am »
"."   Tsk, Tsk, Tsk. I wish I could say I can't believe this person's behavior, but I can because I work with the public every day. sickening
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything