Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible Nosema Ceranae Treatment!?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Possible Nosema Ceranae Treatment!?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 07:05:07 pm »
In short for the reader, my review.

That?s totally cool: using a probiotic, good bacteria, that lives in the digestive tract of the honey bee and the bacteria produces a chemical that disrupts or kills Nosema ceranae.  Using natural Nature to combat a parasite, much better than the HOT or poisonous fungicides.  Good catch Knucs, thanks for posting!
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 07:29:43 pm »
Welcome to beemaster knucs .
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 08:26:14 am »
Fumidil kills the bacteria in their gut that protects them from Nosema.  This has actually been known since the 80's and yet people still want to use Fumidil to treat for Nosema...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 10:25:17 am »
Does Nosema have more of an effect on bees in colder climates than warmer? Or is the problem found equally both North and South?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:43:40 pm »
Phil, colder climates initiate cluster and clustering would promote Nosema.  I am not sure if cold directly affects or not.   High moisture would enhance as well as confinement.  Buckfast apirary, a cold climate by USA standards was wiped out due to trachea  mite, not Nosema.  The original black Buckfast bee was eliminated, completely wipe out.  Only the itialians survived the outbreak.  Brother Adam searched the world over looking for the original survivors, he never found any.
Blessings

Had to edit trachea mite, not Nosema, at Buckfast..
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:54:49 am by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 01:50:18 pm »
Phil, colder climates initiate cluster and clustering would promote Nosema.  I am not sure if cold directly affects or not.   High moisture would enhance as well as confinement.  Buckfast apirary, a cold climate by USA standards was wiped out due to Nosema apis.  The original black Buckfast bee was eliminated, completely wipe out.  Only the itialians survived the Nosema outbreak.  Brother Adam searched the world over looking for the original survivors, he never found any.
Blessings

Thanks Mr Van, though I can not recall for sure, it seems more of the Nosema problem seems to be more concerning and discussed by our more colder climate friends. I think you are right about the cluster. Let me add the long periods, sometimes months without cleansing flights,  may also have something to do with it?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 02:30:18 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 05:40:31 pm »
We are pretty cold here and Dr. Marion Ellis has often said that Nosema is seldom an issue here and the cost of Fumidil (back when it was Nosema apis and Fumidil actually kills that) was not worth it.  So it must be more than cold that is the issue with Nosema.  Now we have Nosema cerana and Fumidil has been proven to make it worse, not better.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 05:44:38 pm »
We are pretty cold here and Dr. Marion Ellis has often said that Nosema is seldom an issue here and the cost of Fumidil (back when it was Nosema apis and Fumidil actually kills that) was not worth it.  So it must be more than cold that is the issue with Nosema.  Now we have Nosema cerana and Fumidil has been proven to make it worse, not better.

Thanks for your reply Mr Bush. In my short time of beekeeping I have not had to experience Nosema. And hope I do not have to deal with it in the future.  :grin:

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 08:09:28 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ1LygeEOf8

Short video, 3.5 minutes on Nosema by bee expert.  Well worth your time.
Blessings

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 08:31:58 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ1LygeEOf8

Short video, 3.5 minutes on Nosema by bee expert.  Well worth your time.
Blessings

Thanks for posting Mr Van, I have seen this fellow before. I can not remember his name but I am thinking he is, or was form the University Of Florida. He did a special on SHB. Actually he was a major researcher on the pest.  When I first started keeping bees, spring before last I lost a hive to SHB and was desperately searching for some solution to the problem as well as information on the SHB. This fellow is one of the people that I found that explained the little critters.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 09:01:39 pm »
I forget his name too.  He is the world expert on small hive beetle.  That was the basis of his PhD.  And yes, he is Florida, a professor.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 09:36:27 pm »
I forget his name too.  He is the world expert on small hive beetle.  That was the basis of his PhD.  And yes, he is Florida, a professor.

Mr Van, I found his name. His name is Jamie Ellis.
Phillip

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 03:34:32 am »
Mr Van this will complete your posted video.

https://youtu.be/AMDN7r1SfbY

anything