Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to switch to Super cell?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline samuils

• New Bee
How to switch to Super cell?
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:24:19 pm »
Hi, I have 2 hived packages on foundationless frames.  Recently I was able to get my hands on some HSC, and was wondering how to switch them.  The hives have already build up some comb in brood box.  I was reading on switching to HSC, all it says is not to give any comb or empty space so bees would accept HSC.  So thats my question, since they already have comb.  Do I just add another box on top with HSC?  Will they accept it?  What about the brood box with comb?  If someone has very detailed explanation sort of step by step for Dummies?  If you explain please feel free to think of me as a dummy (considering thats my current lvl of expertise anyhow)

Thank you in advance

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
Re: How to switch to Super cell?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:14:47 pm »
Hmm it will be interesting to see what people say.
Lori

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 09:59:10 pm »
If it is new HSC, then you have to force them to use it, and you can't mix it with anything else otherwise they will do everything they can to avoid it like the plague.   I have seen them split up the brood nest in many sections to avoid it.   Once they do use it,  it will be accepted just as any comb. 

I would put the queen in a new hive body with the HSC and put a queen excluder between that and the current super with brood.   Once the brood hatches, remove that hive body, so they only have HSC.

It can be quite the challenge to get them on HSC, getting them to store nectar and pollen in the cells seems to help get the queen to lay in them.  Brood pattern will be very spotty for the first couple brood cycles, so don't get concerned about the queen.

With a little patience you will get some nice brood patterns.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:13:31 pm »
guess my question would be why do you want to do it?  don't take anything negative from the question, just seems that if they are doing their thing already, why mess with it?  save the HSC for the next hive maybe?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:17:14 am »
guess my question would be why do you want to do it?  don't take anything negative from the question, just seems that if they are doing their thing already, why mess with it?  save the HSC for the next hive maybe?

Well, I want to regress them.  They seem to be a 5.1 as it is, but I want them at 4.9 so later they can be natural size. 

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 12:19:52 am »

I would put the queen in a new hive body with the HSC and put a queen excluder between that and the current super with brood.   Once the brood hatches, remove that hive body, so they only have HSC.

Hm, there comes the problem, so I have to find a queen?  Also it seems my brood nest is full of cross comb, I think I kinda screwed myself there. Do you by any chance have a video or link to it, where it shows how to deal with cross comb cut out AKA repair?  

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison  LMAO, couldn't stop laughing, great quote 

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 12:27:43 am »
Do you have pictures of the frames with cross comb? People might be able to help you more/better if you post pictures
Lori

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:40:37 am »
it's up to you and since you already have it, no harm in trying.  however...natural is what they build when we don't force them to a size.  foundationless, for instance.  and i know that people think that regression is good for mite control, but the studies don't support it. 

anyway...just curious.  never want to make more work for me...or the bees! ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 12:58:04 am »
it's up to you and since you already have it, no harm in trying.  however...natural is what they build when we don't force them to a size.  foundationless, for instance.  and i know that people think that regression is good for mite control, but the studies don't support it. 

anyway...just curious.  never want to make more work for me...or the bees! ;)

Well from studies I have read, regression to natural helps, as well as other problems.  Also regression in foundationless takes a very long time VS HSC.  In any case thank you for your answers.  Im always glad to hear, and build on other peoples' experiences

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 12:59:22 am »
Do you have pictures of the frames with cross comb? People might be able to help you more/better if you post pictures

Cant seem to post any pictures yet, I think its because my account is newbie or new bee  :-D

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 02:05:18 am »
The only way to get them to use HSC is to have the only available space be HSC.  If that's the only space they have to expand they will hesitate for about two weeks and then use it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline samuils

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 02:09:57 am »
The only way to get them to use HSC is to have the only available space be HSC.  If that's the only space they have to expand they will hesitate for about two weeks and then use it.

Hi, yes that is what I read, but my question is what to do with the current foundationless brood box that they are in, which they have build comb in already ?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:48:21 am »
Cant seem to post any pictures yet, I think its because my account is newbie or new bee  :-D

You have full privileges and can post link and image URLs.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 09:06:23 am »
>Hi, yes that is what I read, but my question is what to do with the current foundationless brood box that they are in, which they have build comb in already ?

It's not a problem.  They will use it as they always did.  The point is they can't expand until the use the HSC.  Otherwise they will expand into anything else if it's available.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything