Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pic: green drone frame with capped cells.  (Read 3222 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Pic: green drone frame with capped cells.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 04:04:42 am »
One tip for the drone comb.  Have an uncapping fork with you in the beeyard.  Sacrifice some drones by sliding the fork along the brood caps at a depth that catches the thorax.  Twist and lift.  You will pull up about 20 pupae.  Quickly turn the fork over and examine the abdomens.  If you have a varroa mite problem you will see them on what you just pulled up.   The gouges in this breeder drone frame is me doing that.  No mites or one mite on 3 fork samples, carryon.  Any more than 1 mite, reconsider which hive you are going to put the frame in to emerge.  I setup a separate compressed hive at the far edge of the mating yard called "The Barracks".  All the capped drone combs go into that hive.  In this way, the concentration of varroa from drone combs is in the one hive.  Alcohol wash once a week followed by a shot of OAV if warranted. The barracks is also restocked with frequent shakes of nurse bees and lots of open nectar combs to caretake the emerged drones. When the drones mature and get flying, they naturally disperse amongst all the other hives and nucs in the area. 

... Hope that helps!

As for nice brood patches here are a couple of pinups.  There are better frames deeper in, these are typical in my hives at this time.  In the one picture: the frame on the right is packed with pollen, the frame on the left is centre capped and laid right to the bars, the frame still in the box below is capped to the bars except for the centre where her first spring brood patch had just recently emerged and already been relaid.  That is only 3 frames into the box.  I figure that one is a keeper. ;)  The last picture is just another example of what I am looking for as I go through deciding who gets to keep her head on and who gets sent off by the hive tool guillotine.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:36:34 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Re: Pic: green drone frame with capped cells.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 03:16:04 pm »
Very nice pics HP.

Offline JojoBeeBoy

• House Bee
    • @joebeewhisperer on Instagram
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 01:00:25 am »
My wife is a nurse and once showed my a pic of the back of someones hand with big, easy to IV veins showing. The caption read "Nurse crack". I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pic of sealed brood from top cells to bottom, only for beeks.

Really makes your day when you see you have a girl that just can't miss a cell.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Pic: green drone frame with capped cells.
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 02:51:48 am »
You will like this then. Taken today. All day long one after another. Cracked out all day, LoL. I actually was thinking of pinching this one.  Look how many she missed.  What a slouch.

it!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 03:35:48 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 11:43:39 am »
Wow HP - gorgeous!!

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 01:46:06 pm »
HP, beautiful queen cells.  Those open cells on the frame of capped brood;

1.  Did the queen just miss a cell here and there?

2.  Are those mite infected cells or virus infected that the nurse bees removed?

#2 would be a hygenic, beautiful queen.  A keeper for sure.  But I have not figured out how to determine the difference.  Any ideas?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 10:04:21 pm »
HP - you are killing me!  :grin: ... very beautiful! ... Definitely shouldn't keep that Queen. Pls feel free to send her to me.  :cheesy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

anything