Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small HIve Beetle Time  (Read 1110 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Small HIve Beetle Time
« on: May 26, 2020, 11:05:27 pm »
I had a small hive from a recent swarm, that today, went over the edge of controlling SHB. I did save this hive but a few frames did sign of larva rummaging through the goods. I did not smell the obvious yeast smell yet. I stuck these frames in the Bee freezer for a enjoyable SHB freeze out! My question, what is a safe time of freezing and killing these buggers before I can remove these frames for the gift of community robbing?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: Small HIve Beetle Time
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:36:30 pm »
24 hours at 0F should do it.
More is better, but not necessary.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:42:33 pm »
Thanks jvalentour as always for the good advice.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:10:00 am »
I always did it for 2-3 days.  If the frames go in at 85 degrees it might be 6 hours before the honey gets to 0.  I did it by the box.  Two boxes at a time.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:27:22 pm »
I had them ruin a frame the other day. First time for me. It was a brood frame that I gave a weak hive. So I froze it. Can I put it back in a hive to clean up the brood and such that was frozen? 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 11:44:30 pm »
I don't know.  If it was full of yeast they may not. The ants will though. Place it out and see what happens.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:01:37 am »
Not without freezing thoroughly then rinsing our the gunk.  Your girls do not want to pull out maggots anymore than you would want to pull giant maggots out of your kitchen cupboards. 

They may do it, but their efforts are better spent making clean honey for you.

And many little tasks take 5 minutes for someone with opposable thumbs would take hours and hours for hundreds of bees.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 01:31:38 am »

Not without freezing thoroughly then rinsing our the gunk.  Your girls do not want to pull out maggots anymore than you would want to pull giant maggots out of your kitchen cupboards.

They may do it, but their efforts are better spent making clean honey for you.

And many little tasks take 5 minutes for someone with opposable thumbs would take hours and hours for hundreds of bees.

FG, from my perspective...  If you have 45+ hives freeze and let the bees clean.  If you have a rec hive(s) ....
Neither is wrong. Preserving comb is a good thing.
Enjoy your bees.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 02:44:08 am »
If the comb is still in good shape and not too old I would try to clean it up a bit before sticking it into a strong hive.  If it is four or five years old or pretty disgusting I put it in the solar wax melter.  Btw solar wax melters do a good job killing shb larva.